Plastic Zipper Won't Work

I have a cycling Jersey with a plastic zipper that will not unzip. There is no damage to the zipper, it just won't unzip. Any ideas as to how to make it work again?

By Judy from Aiea, HI

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Is there fabric caught in the zipper anywhere?

That usually happens to be when I can't unzip something. I just try to work the fabric out from under the zipper. Sometimes it's hard to do, but I can't offer any other suggestions.

Well, try rubbing candle wax over both sizes of the zipper (inside and outside of the garment). It couldn't hurt; use a white or beige candle though.

Try rubbing a lead pencil over the zipper.

I also suggest rubbing candle wax over both sides and carefully try to work it down so you don't break the teeth. Clear lip gloss might work also.

The wax or soap should help the zipper be unzipped. Is this a plastic zipper? You should be able to spread the zipper open, then start to pull the zipper down. Short of this it might be worth putting a new zipper in if you really love this jacket and intend to keep wearing it. Good luck.

You could try putting baby oil on the zipper with a Q-tip or something similar. Make sure there is something between the zipper and the back of the jacket so it doesn't get on the jacket fabric. Good luck!

Answer

I have a bag with a zipper that moves up and down, but will not pull together and close. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Danny from WV

Plastic Zipper Won't Work

Yippee. I just fixed a zipper on a robe I hated to give up. Using pliers to gently squeeze the zipper pull worked. (12/18/2007)

By Caryl

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I left a jacket soaking for too long and now the zipper won't work. The zipper goes up and down smoothly, but the teeth don't lock together at all. Does anyone know what causes this and how I can fix it? The zipper is not metal, it's plastic.

miz_macoo from Albany, Western Australia

Plastic Zipper Won't Work

I am not sure this will help but I had a friend who would take a bar of soap and run it up and down her plastic zippers when they didn't work. It always seemed to work for her. Its worth a try. (07/08/2006)

By MollieB55

Plastic Zipper Won't Work

I don't think soaking the jacket would cause it but your teeth may have become worn and wont mesh well anymore. I have fixed this problem in the past by using a pair of pliers to squeeze the zipper pull on either side where the teeth run through it. Don't apply too much pressure at first as you may close it too much to allow the pull to slide. It may take a few tries to get it work, but if worn teeth are the problem this should fix it at least for several wearings. (07/08/2006)

By Donna6397

Plastic Zipper Won't Work

Thanks for the feedback guys. The reason I thought it was soaking it too long was because the zipper workd perfectly until I soaked it. I'll try the soap trick first and if that doesn't work I'll try the pliers. (07/09/2006)

By miz_macoo

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair ClothingOctober 14, 2009
zipper flower
Making a Zipper Flower Pin
zipper
Repairing a Zipper That Separates
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Zipper Plastic Bottle Container
Zipper Plastic Bottle Container
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 10, 2016 at 12:53:08 AM on 10.0.1.171 in 313 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.