Frugal Oatmeal

Mix together a large batch of instant oatmeal and scoop up a serving that costs only about a quarter a day.

• 1 container (18 oz) quick-cooking oats
  • Ad
  • 3.2 oz nonfat dry milk
  • 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup raisins

Directions:

In a large bowl combine all ingredients. Transfer to an airtight container. Makes about 16 servings.

For breakfast: scoop 1/2 cup oatmeal mix into a bowl and add 1/2 cup water. Microwave on high for 1 minute.

By Laurie from Manitowoc, WI

This is a great share. It's on my"to do list". Thanks

Yum! Sounds worth a try!

March 17, 2010 Flag

I was buying the storebrand instant oatmeal, or Quaker when a coupon was available, but now our family is cutting back on sugar. I buy the largest container of store brand Quick Oats, add my own cinnamon or chopped up apple, walnuts, etc, whatever you like to add. I put all the ingredients in a microwave safe bowl add water and cook, put some low fat milk on it and enjoy. If you don't have time for breakfast at home, put the ingredients in a container and add water at work, then microwave. You just may have to do without the milk unless there is a small refrigerator at the office.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

Answers:

Frugal Oatmeal

You can also used strawberry jam to flavor it or dried fruit. There was a post that someone put on here awhile back telling of many other flavorings to add

I take this to work a lot in the winter we have a microwave and a fridge so easy for me to do. And if you're ingredients are all dry ones. I put mine in a baggy to transport because I have a large coffee cup I keep at work (01/19/2007)

By imaqt1962

Frugal Oatmeal

If you are taking it to work to microwave it there, just add a little powdered milk to your mix and when you add water to cook, you'll have milk. (01/19/2007)

By Katie A.

Frugal Oatmeal

How much powdered milk do I use? (01/19/2007)

By imaqt1962

Frugal Oatmeal

I use snack zip-loc bags to store my oatmeal mixture; then I add the coffee creamer in the small individual packages as the milk. I have an area in our classroom at school where i have a microwave for coffee/tea, etc.; It always has coffee creamer on it and sugar. I can keep 5 bags of oatmeal mixture in a basket under the microwave cart. I use a medium size coffee cup to prepare the oatmeal in; clean-up is a breeze. (01/19/2007)

By WandaJo

Frugal Oatmeal

Mix in a microwavable bowl 1/2 cup quick oatmeal, 1/2 cup water, 1 teaspoon of brown sugar. Cook on high for 2 minutes. Pour any of the new flavored creamers on top. I usually use enough to cover the surface of the cooked oatmeal. Then add some milk if you like. This is delicious and quick. I really like the southern butter pecan creamer by International Delight. You can also use 1/4 cup oatmeal and 1/4 cup grape-nuts. I add 1 teaspoon chopped pecans and 1 teaspoon raisins. (01/19/2007)

By Jazzylazzy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes