Sara (Chow Mix?)

contest winner icon

Sara is a one and a half year old dog. I'm not sure what breed she is. She looks like a chow and...? I got Sara while stopping at a yard sale in a somewhat bad area, when I got out of the car, I heard a puppy crying.

I saw a man carrying Sara, he had her little legs bent, and he had a gun over his shoulder. All I could do was ask the guy "What are you doing" (I'm like that, explains me often being in trouble but all is well.) He said "I'm gonna kill this dog, I warned her enough." All I could do was tell the man "Let me have her." He said yes and when he let the puppy go, she ran directly to me and I swear she was smiling.

Wow, was my family surprised to see this pretty little girl come up the driveway with me. At first sight they thought she looked more a bear cub than a dog.

My little boy named this dog Sara. He named her for Sara from the Bible because he didn't want Sara to ever look back. Sara blesses our family and we love her very much. Sara always welcomes us with a hug. Sara loves to love. I find it so amazing that animals give far more than they ever take.

By Maryjo from Salem, WV

Awww, what a wonderful happy ending for Sara! Thanks for posting this heart smile!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

What a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Thank you for your kindness! I am sure Sara thanks you as well. (Gosh, doesn't that guy realize that what he was doing was against the law? I am sure she is as wonderful as she looks. Blessings, Lee (and my rescue pup, Snickers)

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I'm so glad you were able to rescue her! It makes you wonder what goes through some people's heads! She's beautiful!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Bless you, Maryjo for saving this dog's life and giving her a good home; and I love the name your son gave her! Thanks for posting this; you're a wonderful person!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Yes, what a darling girl! I believe she is both Chow, Spitz, and Heinz 57! lol If I had room, I'd have taken her too!

God bless you and her! : )

Reply Like this photo? Yes

What a soulful looking dog. I'm sure she has stories to tell. Thank you for rescuing her. She'll never forget what you did for her and will give you unconditional love forever.

Grandma Jan & Kato the Wonder Dog

Reply Like this photo? Yes

You will be blessed with unconditional love from Sara as she has been blessed with your rescuing her. With Sara's eye and facial markings, she could be part Keeshond. Corky our rescued "child" is a Keeshond; they have distinct markings that look like glasses around the eyes. Plus they love to smile. Some people mistake it for a growl without sound. Keeshonds are great with children and very loyal, loving pets. Extremely intelligent as well. Never look back Sara, you are home!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I thought a little Chow too. Your son sure did a nice job naming her. I had tears in my eyes as I read this post, had to come back to post. I really do not know what makes people cruel to each other, animals and the planet.

The blessing is people like you and your family with lots of love. I have always believed a rescued dog loves more as they appreciate us. Give Sara a big hug and kiss from me and my little poo-mix Honey. He was a little rescue, too.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Love your story but did you take a pic of the dog when she was about to poop?

Sorry but the pics makes me crack up...it looks like she's squatting and there's sort of a "how dare you" look in her eyes. :o)

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Before I could even finish typing, I read a couple of the responses and noticed that it had been commented on that Sara appears part Keeshond. She appears part Keeshond, part Sheltie to me. She is beautiful!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

What a wonderful story and beginning for Sara! I too got a little 'touched' while reading it. I have two saved/rescued dogs. They are both so special to us and have enriched our lives tenfold! God Bless you and your family (yes, Sara included).

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Absolutely LOVED your story about Sara! More people should rescue dogs instead of thinking that killing them is the answer. We own a rescued dog too. Thanks for sharing your inspirational story with us! God Bless You!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

If you look at Autumn the Shetland Sheepdog that won the Contest January 9 or 19th of 2009, you will see the resemblence between Sara and a Sheltie. We grew up having Sheltie's, and I thought this would help you see more of the Sheltie in Sara that I see (and Keeshond too). Again, Sara is just beautiful and looks to be full of spunk!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I was able to download a picture of her so you wouldn't have to browse. I think you will see the similiarities.

Reply Like this photo? Yes