Asking a Guy to Winter Formal

Category Dances
Winter Formal is coming up and you are struggling to come up with a clever way to ask a guy to go. This is a guide about asking a guy to a Winter Formal.

Red bowtie on a satin background

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about asking your boyfriend to a dance. Asking your boyfriend to a dance can be really fun if you come up with some creative invitation ideas.

I have this winter formal dance to go to and, us girls, we have to ask the guys to go to the dance. I have no clue on how to ask this guy I really like to go to the dance with me. Please help me, I need some help on how to ask him if I do go to the dance.

Anonymous

56 years ago I had to ask a guy to a Sadie Hawkins dance. I was a junior in high school. That guy and I just celebrated 50 years of marriage this year! Just ask him face to face. It was scary for me but I am so glad I did it!

Now we know how men must feel when first asking for a date!

First of all, I'd ask him if he is going to the formal; if he is already booked then you both need not be embarrassed by a refusal. Be interested in his response, and say you haven't quite decided yet whom to ask. A little white lie can save face.

But of course if he isn't pre-booked then tell him you now know what it feels like to be the one doing the asking, and ask him. This will make things nice and easy between you. I hope you have a great time!

Your right, I do see how guys feel about asking a girl. So I'll just go up to him and ask him! Thank you so much!

How do I answer back to a girl that asked me to go to winter formal?

By Jacob J.

Best Answer

Thank you for asking, I would love to go.

Best Answer

Politely. Yes, thank you for asking me. Just remember, it takes a lot of courage to ask someone out. They face rejection from someone they like. So, if you already have plans, or care not to go with her, gently say no. Just remember, one day you will be asking someone to go with you somewhere, how would you like to be treated if her answer was no.

Ask yourself, do you want to go but not with her? Then tell her you have ideas already and no thanks.

I've liked this guy for a really long time and we have had a couple classes together over the years, but we don't really get the chance to talk that much. We've had short conversations a couple times and now he always says hi to me in the halls (no class this year together). I wanna ask him to winter formal, but it's hard because we hang out with a completly different group of people. How should I ask him without making him feel awkward?

Best Answer

I think a simple approach is the best. He always says "hi" in the school halls so he clearly wants to keep in contact with you.

Have a great time!

I'm asking one of my guy friends to our winter formal this year. I just want it to be creative because we're only going as friends. Any ideas?

By Ali P. from Seattle, WA

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

"Hey! I want to go to winter formal, not alone of course, so come with me maybe?"

There is this guy from a different school that I would like to ask to winter formal at my school, but I'm not sure if it would be something he would think was normal. I've talked to him a couple of times and we know each other. I got the feeling that he had a crush on me the last time I saw him. I don't know if I should ask him? and how should I ask him?

By Apple K.

Best Answer

Since you know him, you can just casually tell him the Formal is coming up and you need a date and you think it would be fun if he went with you. He may just say yes. If not don't think he isn't interested, guys this age can be shy about such things.

Look I have the same problem as you. I too have a friend that goes to another school and the winter formal is coming up next month. So far what I'm been doing is trying to come up with a idea to ask him (where, when, etc.). I am very nervous but I don't need to be, neither should you. What you should do is when you ask him make sure you a confident and smile when you ask him ( boys can tell when you are nervous and can react to that). If he says no go to plan B. Go with some friends or find another guy. I hope this helps you someway.

My school is having a winter formal at my school and it's girls ask guys. I want to ask my boyfriend to go with me in a fun and cute way. It's in about a month and I know he'll say yes, but I wanna make it a nice surprise. He has no idea about it either and he goes to another school. Any ideas? :)

By Michelle B

Best Answer

Take a piece of paper asking him to winter formal and have the paper eliminated. Put the paper in a bucket of water then freeze it. Have him melt/break the ice to see what the message says.

I'm dating a guy from a rival school and he is a head football player. We are seniors this year and it's our last dance before he goes to basic. So I want it to be very special. He is always super spontaneous and creative. For example, when he asked me to be his girlfriend it was the Fourth of July last year and we went down town on an old railroad bridge and watched fireworks. It was perfect. I want to wow him like he did me, by being super creative and maybe incorporating football into the plan somehow since he likes it so much. Any good ideas?

By Kori

Best Answer

One doesn't take anyone for granted. Asking is still a courtesy, but don't beat around too many bushes or he'll get confused.

Why can't you just ask him? I assume you are going steady, therefore it should be taken for granted that if you plan on going to the dance, he would be your date. Anyway that is the way it used to be. Maybe times have changed. I don't understand why people now think things have to be done in cute, unusual way or with a theme.

I should also say, I wonder if your school has a policy against students from other schools attending dances. When I was in school, that was standard policy.

I'm writing a letter for my yearbook, saying my creative way of asking my boyfriend to winter formal, and I have no super creative ways of asking him. Help!

By Aubrey from McMinnville

Best Answer

Wouldn't it be taken for granted, if he is a steady boyfriend, that if you were going to the dance, he would be going too? That is the way any relationship that I know of works. Talk about attending the dance, maybe that you are wondering what to wear, and see what he replies.

I need a really cute and creative way to ask a guy to a winter dance. Got any ideas?

Lauren from Denver, CO

Best Answer

Here are a couple that me and my friends did

-trash his front porch with a sign in the middle saying Winter formal? with (your name)

-get a pizza and write on the front of the box "i know this is cheesey but winter formal" and on the inside write with your name

-if his house has windows on the front put a huge sing so everyone can see

-make a mix cd

-bake a cake and put it on his porch

Hope these help!

i think an adorable way is writing on his driveway or if your school does like a class discussion like "fishbowl" then you could write out the question and pass it to the teacher and she reads it outloud. another cute way is putting letters on his locker. good luck:)

This is our winter formal where girls ask guys! How should I ask a good friend who does rodeo to it, in a cute way?

By Hailee

If he is a good friend, why can't you just ask him? I don't understand why people think everything has to done in a cute way.

Lauren from Denver, CO

Answers:

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

Can you cook at all? Why don't you bake him some cookies or make some fudge? And tell him you made these for him because he's a sweet person, that will make him feel special, and all guys love food, then you could ask him. (12/29/2007)

By crazylady4christ2007

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

I think it would be cute to ask a girl to winter formal by getting some friends (guys) together and having them do karaoke to a dance song. The last person to sing should be the one asking and should be carrying flowers. It should be performed during lunch or something in front of everybody to make the girl feel special. (01/11/2008)

By ChaCha

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

I wanted a way to ask a guy to turnabout that I was just friends with. So I put Depends, like the diaper, all over his car and wrote in car window paint "I'm depending on you to go to turnabout with me." He thought it was really funny and loved it! (01/22/2008)

By anonymous

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

Okay, really cute idea. Make him a shirt with "winter formal?" on the front and write a bunch of names in washable marker on the back but write YOURS in permanent marker, and attach a note that says, "Wash me to find out who asked you" ;). Then when he washes it yours will be the only one left on the back. (01/23/2008)

By shelby

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

It took me a while to think of my idea. But what I did was I brought a cookie cake and asked them to put "turn about with (my name)" then I asked for a cake box big enough for the cookie cake. I brought a jar of icing and covered the whole thing (even the cover for the cookie cake). Decorate the whole thing so it looks like a cake. Once he went in to cut it, he noticed he was cutting into plastic. So he wiped all the frosting to read what it said. It totally made his day. (01/25/2008)

By Twain

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

One of my team mates on the swim team told me of how she asked a friend to Snowball (it's not the prom, but it's still a formal dance). She had been a nominee for Snowball royalty. After her description was read by an announcer during a pep rally, there was a message left at the bottom of the notes. "_ doesn't have a date to Snowball. Chris, will you go with me?" and he accepted in front of the whole school. (02/08/2008)

By Katie

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

Make a spinner game wheel, like wheel of fortune, and put "who's asking __ to sadie hawkins?" in the middle and then all around the wheel put your name in different ways (emma, em, e-mac...) so every time he spins the wheel, he will land on your name! (02/25/2008)

By emma

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

Have a teacher or someone write him a slip telling him to go to the principal's office. When he gets there he'll think he's in trouble, but then you will be there with balloons or flowers or something and ask him to go to TWIRPS with you. (09/30/2008)

By anonymous

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

So I just got asked to homecoming and the way he did it was really cute and I'm sure you could use it. There was a poster that read Hey "name" Just you wait and see if you can find the key, inside the treasure chest "Name of Dance" will be the best!

He then got one big tool box with a lock on it and a huge bucket of keys and I had to find the key that went to the tool box, then I opened it and inside was another box and a whole another set of keys and after I opened the 2nd box his name was inside written on a paper key. He also threw in a whole bunch of candy, it was adorable! (10/12/2008)

By Kelsey

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

Last year for winter formal I made a snowman out of that foam paper and put a hat, eyes, nose, etc. on it. On the snowman's stomach I put this poem, "let it snow, let it snow, please say you'll go winter formal with ________." It was so sweet, he wrote me a poem back the next day saying that he would love to go! (12/06/2008)

By shopgirl

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

I am in the same boat as you. I was thinking of putting like 600 snowflakes around one of his classes, and on a big snowflake, I would write, "Winter Formal is just around the corner, and so is the girl who wants to go with you." Then I would have him follow either snowflakes or arrows down the hall and of course, around a corner. I would be standing there and then would ask him. (12/27/2008)

By Alyssa

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

Next year for turnabout I'll ask my date by buying a beta or gold fish and putting a note on the inside (laminated) saying, "there's plenty of fish in the sea but I want you to be mine. Turnabout?" (01/02/2009)

By Manon

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

I made a HUGE batch of Jello like a big cooking bowl. Then when it was firm I flipped it out onto a plate and wrote "Will you Wiggle with me" on it. It was cute and we ate it! (01/24/2009)

By Emily.

Asking a Guy To Turnabout

Lucky Charms: Give him a box of lucky charms with a note inside saying "Since you're so charming, would I be lucky enough to accompany you to Turnabout?"

Duck tape: I wrote a note asking this guy to turnabout and put it in a box. The note said "unwrapping this box is like unwrapping your heart. Turnabout?" I wrapped the box in duck tape about 20 times. (01/24/2009)

By becourageous

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

Be careful with the t-shirt idea. It is a really good idea, but last year I used it and the permanent marker bled through. So he kinda knew who it was before he washed the shirt. (01/28/2009)

By yo

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

I asked my boyfriend last year in a really cute way. His favorite place to eat is Chipotle so I took him there just to get something to eat, and I asked the manager if I could hang a sign that I made on the menu so that when he looked up he would see it. The sign said;

"A taco or burrito, which one will it be?
It doesn't really matter, it's all the same to me.
A night of dancing and a night of fun..
How about Turnabout with your only one?" (02/04/2009)

By Sarah

Lauren from Denver, CO

Answers:

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

I have done a few cute way. The first one, I took a bunch of circles (get help to cute them out all sizes) scatter them ALL over his room with a sign that says I would love to be spotted at 'The Winter Formal' with you on (the date). The second one, I took a whole bunch of balls, I mean A LOT, like pool ones, bouncy ones and little baseballs ALL kinds. About 100 or more in all sizes. I left petals leading to his room and had the sign written in neon saying OPEN on the closet. His lights were off and his black light was on. He opened his closet and I had set the balls up to fall everywhere. Under them all there was a sign saying I would have a BALL if you would ROLL with me to Sadies. He loved it. Then the last one, I took that really long fuzzy red Christmas ribbon and tied it to his truck in the drive way and wrote on his truck GO INSIDE FOLLOW THE RED RIBBON. Inside there was a maze through the dining room to his room, at the end of it there was a heart saying 'Sadies?' and there was a sign on the bed with suckers everywhere saying "Hey toots, don't be a sucker, go to Sadies with me 'cuz if you don't that will blow!" I used all kinds of suckers and Blow pops and Tootsie pops. (12/11/2006)

By felicia

Asking a guy to prom

Get a little toy dump truck or some construction truck and put cinnamon buns on the back. Put it in his classroom, bedroom, etc with a sign that says "I'd love to haul your buns to prom!" Thats by far my favorite idea ever.

(03/29/2007)

By Amanda

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

My friend got ask to winter formal by her boyfriend... but i gave her boyfriend the idea. It was to get a box, get 3 pink (helium inflated) balloons and draw a pig on each one of them, put them in the box and then put a piece of cardboard over them and then have a note on the top of the cardboard that says "Will you go to Winter Formal with me as soon as pigs fly?" Then they will read the note and then lift up the cardboard and the balloons fly out ... and pigs have flown.
(07/09/2007)

By Blanca

asking to him to prom

This is how I asked my boyfriend to prom. I told him I had to work, so I would be out all day until later on at night around 7pm, when it gets dark. I told him I would call him when I was done. So I did and I told him I needed to talk to him about something important. Our favorite place to go is the beach, so I brought him there and there was rose petals leading us to the beach to our spot. I told him to close his eyes and told him not to peek because I had a surprise for him. I brought him to our spot and there were candles that spelled "PROM?" He said yes. I also had a picnic set up to for us to eat. It was so romantic. he loved it. It's the thought that counts right. (07/17/2007)

By anonnymous

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

I asked this guy that I had been talking to. I went to his house after school with two of his friends and on his bed we put a poster that said "Every princess needs a prince, so will you be mine for formal?" There was a tiara on a pillow with the poster just to complete the scene. Then the next day when we got to school he had a cake made for me saying "Yes, I'll be your prince." Totally adorable. And may I add the best night of my life. (09/22/2007)

By Carissa

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

Well, my friend loves Taco Bell, so I had bought him 3 big burritos and spelled 'Formal?' really big
on them with sour cream! (09/26/2007)

By justagirl

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

Last year for our Sadie Hawkins two of my friends and I asked our dates (good friends and a boyfriend) by making them cookies and writing "S-A-D-I-E" on them the guys loved them! (10/13/2007)

By Michaela

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

My cousin once had to ask a guy to the Sadie's dance at her school. How she did it was really cute. On the computer she typed a note that said "I know this is cheesy, but will you go to Sadie's with me?". Then she went and bought a medium cheese pizza and taped the note on the inside of the box, so that when he opened it he would see the note (before the pizza) and give his answer. It worked for her! (10/19/2007)

By alexis

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

It was a really cold night and there was snow everywhere. My guy friend called me and told me to look out the window. When I did there were candles lit in the shape of a heart and he was in the middle holding a sign saying "It would melt my heart away if you didn't go to winter formal with me." (11/14/2007)

By jayne

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

I had a friend do something quite cute to ask a guy she liked to winter formal. She got a box (a decorated box or a tin can decorated with a winter scene). Fill it with Life Savers and Jolly Ranchers. She had a card that said: "You'd be a LIFE SAVER if you go to ____ with me! We'll have a JOLLY good time!" I know it may sound dumb but I thought it was really cute. The guy also appreciated and loved it! (11/15/2007)

By cinthyacg91

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

I asked the guy by decorating his room by putting balloons all over. I got a big black poster, put glow in the dark stars on it spelling "Formal?" and wrote a note on a star-shaped paper that said "star light star bright, make a wish, turn off the lights". Then the rest was written in glow in the dark, so he could read it in the dark. It said "I wish I may, I wish I might, have my wish on formal night." It was pretty cute.

Sophomore year I asked by getting a huge box, wrapped it completely in pink wrapping paper with a big black & silver bow on it. I drew pig faces on pink balloons filled with helium. Then on the top of the box I left a note that said "If pigs could fly...would you go to formal with me?" When he opened the box pigs flew! this one was cuter! (12/14/2007)

By Cheyanne

Asking a Guy To Winter Formal

This year's homecoming dance this guy asked me. It was the most adorable thing EVER, it was just like a movie scene!
He went to my house at night, parked in the dark and knocked on my door. I opened it, didn't see anyone and closed it. He knocked again. This time there was a huge block of ice and a hammer right next to it. He yelled: "SMACK THE ICE!" and so I did. After smacking it like three times the block broke and there was a note inside saying: "Now that you have broken the ice, will you go to homecoming with me?". it was the cutest thing ever, i almost cried! HAHAHAHA. :)

(12/17/2007)

By intercambista

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.