Training AdviceDogs

Keeping Dog Off the Bed

My problem is big dogs and big messes. I have an old St. Bernard who is the dirtiest dog ever. He likes rolling in mud and jumping on the bed, gobbling up dog food and drooling it all over my nice clean comforter. I can't keep buying new bed linens to replace the ruined ones! Any advice on sure-fire ways to keep my bed fresh and clean?

By Doug A. from Seattle, WA

A St.Bernard's lifespan is about seven years; that's short when compared to other breeds of dogs. Our neighbor owned one and she was really messy too and kept outdoors all the time. If I owned a St. Bernard and it was to live indoors, I would groom its fur to short, so it's easier to shampoo and maintain during the warm months. Hose the dog down and towel dry before coming indoors. Drooling is another issue that's not fixable, all St. Bernard's drool. Close the bedroom door/block it off at all times, so the dog cannot enter that room. I wouldn't let the dog in certain rooms of the house where drooling can ruin furnishings.

I don't have a St Bernard, but I still don't want our two dogs on my bed, so I have a baby gate in the hallway just outside my bedroom.

Two things come directly to mind. Shut the bedroom door and/or leave the dog outside. I don't know how you deal with a dog that large even in the rest of the house.

I was also thinking that you just need to shut your bedroom door. If you don't already have one, maybe get a duvet cover, so that you can take that off and wash it when it gets soiled (easier than trying to clean the comforter!). I have one cat that sometimes hacks up fur balls on my bed, and another who sheds like crazy, the duvet cover has made it easier to clean up after them.

If it's impossible to keep him out of the bedroom, then get a throw for your bed. Charity shops quite often have something suitable. eg candlewick bedspreads, curtains. These are easily washed out and can be dyed to match your decor.

Keep those old, ruined bed linens and use them to cover your new clean linens. Then just take the old dirty linens off when you want to use the bed. Shake off the filth and put it back on your clean bed for the dog to use later.

Simple solution, keep your beroom door closed!