Share & Vote

How to Make Tater Tots from Scratch

How do you make tater tots from scratch?

By Eda

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Irishwitch [391]01/07/2011

Tater Tots
Time 5 minutes
Serves 6

8 medium potatoes, peeled
4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 dash pepper
1 ts salt
Veg oil for frying
How to make it

Finely shred potatoes, then drain by placing them in a colander and pressing out the liquid.
Pour potatoes into a med sized bowl.
Stir in flour, salt, and pepper.
Heat 1/4" oil in heavy pan., or use deep fryer set at 350F.
Form into "tots" and carefully drop into oil.
Fry until slightly golden.
Drain on paper towels.
Serve hot or freeze for later use in tater tot casserole.
*To reduce fat, bake in single layer on a baking sheet at 400F until tots are crisp and golden.

By Mary [1]01/06/2011

Big Daddy Tater Tots on Food Network
He made them on his show not long ago. They looked very good. In fact while you are there you can sign up to get newsletters. I go on the website every morning, and click on Recipes on right hand side/ I go through each show for the day. If I see something I like I save it to the recipe box. You can keep recipes there & just look them up. Most cooking sites have these recipe boxes

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: How to Make Tater Tots from Scratch

How would you make Tater Tots?

By Robin from Ozark, MO

RE: How to Make Tater Tots from Scratch

Here are some homemade tater tot recipes. They are more or less made as balls since the official Tater Tot is actually extruded with a machine. One recipe does form it in a cigar shape and then cut. Maybe that would make it more TT looking.

and a video of a more gourmet version:

From Wikipedia:
Tater Tots were first created in 1953 when Ore-Ida founders F. Nephi Grigg and Golden Grigg were trying to figure out what to do with left over slivers of cut up potatoes. They came up with the novel idea of chopping up the potato slivers, adding flour and seasoning, then pushing the mash through holes and slicing off pieces of what came out on the other side. (02/01/2010)

By Kaelle