How Much Molasses Is Needed to Turn Sugar Into Dark Brown Sugar?

How much molasses do I add to make light brown sugar into dark brown sugar? I have an over abundance of the light. I use more dark brown sugar than light. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Mike from PA

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

The basic ratio is 1 tablespoon molasses for each cup of light brown sugar but this can vary according to the strength of your molasses and the strength of your light brown sugar. Start with the basic and add more sugar or molasses until it's how you like it.

To make light brown sugar you use 1 cup of white sugar and 2 tbls of molasses. I would take 1 cup of light brown sugar and try 1 tbls of molasses and see if you like it, or else you can add more. I always experiment. Maybe someone else will have something more exact.

Mike, try one Tablespoon of Molasses to one cup light brown sugar. Not dark enough add more.

Brown Sugar
Making Brown Sugar
Food and Recipes Food Tips Food InfoOctober 25, 2007
Molasses Cookies
Molasses Cookie Recipes
two molasses cookies on a wooden table
Molasses Sugar Cookie Recipes
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 21, 2017 at 2:08:16 PM on 10.0.2.243 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.