Painting Kitchen Cabinet Hinges

I want to replace my current copper (could be brass) kitchen cabinet hinges with new stainless ones. My kitchen cabinets are probably as old as my 30+ year old house.

I removed one and took it to Home Depot and even though I had a salesman help me to find a match, when I put it on there was a gap which kept the door from lying flat against the cabinet frame. Not attractive or workable at all.

Can I still find hinges made in the old style? I read about Deco Art No-Prep Metal Paint which is advertised for ornamental kitchenware among its many uses. Has anyone tried this? It would certainly be cheaper for me to paint since I have approximately 50 hinges to replace at around $5.00 per pair.

By Glenda

Go for it, as you know when a painter paints the hinges in the house it paint stays on forever, good luck.

Look on ebay for hinges. You never know what you'll find, but it's worth a shot. I had to buy kitchen knobs once and shopped everywhere and googled everything. Then I went on ebay and found the best deal ever!

I painted knobs in my bathroom and they are holding up well. I think I primed them first with Zinser 123 and then spray painted them an antique copper. I think you can see the effect from my vanity in this picture.

Laniegirl - love your dresser/sink, gorgeous work!

If you give the hinges a good cleaning they should be fine painted and there are many good metal colored paints out there now.

There was a catalog I used to get in the mail where it had a lot of hinges, etc that you could buy. I can't remember the name of it but key "vintage cabinet hardware" in your search bar & check the results out. Maybe you will find one like yours w/same dimensions. Worth a try. Good Luck.

Take them all off, wash them in a dishpan with soap water and rinse. Then lay them all out on a plastic drop cloth and spray paint them. Really easy!

Home and Garden Home Improvement KitchenFebruary 28, 2010
Cabinet Door
Keeping Cabinet Doors From Slamming Shut
Filling Holes in Cabinet Doors
Filling Holes in Cabinet Doors
Bungalow style kitchen cabinet with glass paned doors.
Cleaning Glass Doors on Wood Furniture
Door Hinge
Fixing Loose Door Hinges
🎄