Use Dried Greenery In Your Fall/Winter Displays

contest winner icon

Although the outdoor flowers are dying, you can still use lots of garden items for decoration, inside and out! I like to make fall and winter arrangements in antique milk jugs that I got from auctions of relatives. In one, I have just filled with corkscrew willow. The dried leaves just come right off when you run your hand across it. In the other, I have filled with a type of tall grass and dried hydrangeas.

Then in December I will cut fresh evergreen from the tress and fill in around the milk jugs. It looks beautiful and is welcoming to your guests. You can also use the dried flowers in your house, as I have done with the hydrangeas in a vase. I also use pussy willow in a vase, it is gorgeous and just stays pretty like it is since it is dried. I also love to bring in some of the fresh cut evergreen for Christmas decorating.

By Jayme from Harrisonburg, VA

I love what you did with the old milk can. I do it on a much smaller scale with a mini milk can, an old mini bucket and my old canning jars. I use small dried weeds and dried flowers. I haven't finished mine yet, my flowers are still in the drying medium. Tennessee is just getting into fall so my arrangements won't be on display until early November. I'd like to try an arrangement like yours with my dried cornstalks if I can find an interesting container.

I loved yours, it is really neat and an eye catcher.

Your dried arrangement is beautiful, I live in Fl, and we don't have the same flowers. We do have hydrangeas though. How do you dry them?

Very pretty.

That is beautiful!

Your display is very pretty, isn't it fun to utilize what we have. It makes me feel so good about myself. One idea I have used is to reuse my husbands old cowboy boots, if you have a farmer husband his worn out boots or hiking boots, they make cute planters or birdhouses either one. An old ringer washer, the drum out of a newer washer or dryer, buried part way or at an angle works. A little imagination goes a long way. Have fun, remember if you like it that's what counts.

Autumn leaves, pumpkin, apple, and other elements of a fall centerpiece.
Fall Centerpiece Ideas
Photos GardenOctober 23, 2008
Cold frame and glass cloches for plant protection.
Preparing Your Garden for Winter
Dried lime cut in half.
Recipes Using Dried Limes
White fake cake of boxes and bows
Faux Wedding Cake Ideas
Saving Money on Winter Vacations, Snowman and Snowwoman Enjoying the Pool and Warm Sun Together
Saving Money on Winter Vacations