Removing Pine Tree Sap From Glass

How do you remove pine tree sap from glass?

Helen Tobey from Michigan

Best Answer

Try acetone. Acetone is a universal solvent. In college chemistry lab we used it to clean glassware that had all kinds of funky stuff in it and it would dissolve everything and leave the glass sparkling clean. It was also used to clean equipment between experiments.

Best Answer

The best thing to use would be pine sap's natural solvent: turpentine (which is derived from the pine tree.)

Reference: Popular Mechanics

Best Answer

Goo Gone Automotive Spray Gel is the best thing for any surface and or clothing that has tree sap.

Anonymous
Best Answer

I tried all the suggestions for tree sap, WD40 to alcohol. Rubbing alcohol was decent, rest, not really. Then I tried well everything else under the sink. Here's 2 cleaners not mentioned that work really well. Fantastic dissolves it, only light rubbing required. Ammonia really dissolves it, keep it moist and rub lightly. A spray of Fantastic added some subs, keeping it from running off or drying too quick. 20 mins later, no trace of tree sap and no damage. :)

Anonymous

Have you tried removing tree sap from duradeck flooring on patio. ?

Best Answer

Dab a bit of butter or soft margarine on the sap. Wait a minute or two, then rub it off with a paper towel. This tip was given to me from a auto body repair shop. So simple...and it works. I've tried it on car and boat glass, car and boat paint and even my fingers!

Have you tried soaking the glass with Skin So Soft Bath Oil from Avon? It works on just about anything sticky. Soak it really well and scrub with a soft cloth. It may take a while and some "elbow grease" but it should work. Good luck! Yilbit

Just thought of something else for removing the sap. WD-40 may work? Never tried it but I have heard it removes tree sap from other surfaces.

Believe it or not I've used Pine Sol to remove sap from my hair and skin. It may work on glass too.

I used an ice cube and a paper towel.... it freezes the sap and the edge of the cube makes a nice 'scraper'... Use a clean piece of the paper towel to lift off the frozen sap pieces and continue until all sap has been removed.

Thanks for the Acetone idea....worked like a charm!!! :)

Rubbing alcohol works for me on the shoe tracks that get on my pergo floor and our car windows.

It might sound weird but ammonia works the best

Oh yes! The acetone worked wonders - just a nail polish remover did a pretty good job, now I will be getting some good acetone. Thanks a million!

I tried WD-40 and I had to scrub until my elbows hurt and it still did not remove the pine sap. Even the still liquid sap was hard to remove with WD-40. The best thing I tried was PVC pipe cleaner which can be bought at any hardware store. Check the ingredients on the can. It should have Methyl Ethyl Ketone and Acetone. It also did not hurt the paint job on the car. You might want to test it on an inconspicuous area of paint first and after some rubbing look at the rag and see if there is dissolved paint on it. Wash and re-wax the vehicle after the sap is gone. Hope this is useful.

I had thought turpentine, for the reason expressed above. I was very surprised when it didn't work very well. So, since I'm out of acetone right now, I tried rubbing alcohol (70% isopropyl). It worked.

However, it dissolved the sap, distributing it in a thin film wherever the rag went. Using two rags, one in each hand, worked well. Use one soaked in alcohol and with the other (clean and dry), follow and remove the alcohol immediately. Takes a bit of doing, but it isn't too hard.

usually just plain water takes it off

Really? Then you happen to time it right to remove while still wet and freshly dropped from the tree. Maybe you're the luckiest guy I ever met, or, you've never dealt with sap already hardened... Cheers