My Frugal Life: Making Ends Meet

At this time a lot of people are trying to save their pennies and make ends meet. I have a few I would ideas like to share.

1. Saving on shower gels: Use a bar of soap it goes farther. If you must use cream soaps then make your own.

2. Wash your dishes by hand in the sink saves both water and hydro by not using a dish washer - I use dish washer for storage: e.g.- plastic ware, extra dishes, glasses and cutlery.

3. Laundry: use half the amount recommended by your laundry soap.

4. Save on groceries buy as many as you can of a sale item. Check expiry date. check your clearance area there are a lot of good items there. I find a lot of fruit and veggies there. Make sauces,jams, fruit crisps, casseroles. Huge savings.

Hope this helps some of you out there. Keep positive and remember, things will get better!

By Diva53d from Foymount, Ontario

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

To add: use half the amount of shampoo and conditioner too. Use half the amount of ground beef and ground turkey in recipes. You and your family probably will not miss the extra meat.

Also, using the dishwasher actually saves water. Less water is used by using a dishwasher than washing by hand. They did a study on this and that's what they found. Of course, the dishwasher costs alot of money, so I would not go out and buy one just to save on the water unless you have high water bills.

Bar soap makes more of mess in the shower and tub, by making soap scum or film in the shower, therefore you have to work harder and probably use more cleanser to clean the tub/shower, than if you use shower gel.

I agree with all of your hints. A person definitely pays for the convenience of certain products--that's what sells them. It's called marketing. Older generations went their entire lives doing things manually, while younger ones believe their time to be of more importance. But, make no mistake about it, people do pay for the conveniences. Going back to the "old ways" consistently can save money, that's why there are so many movements to "simplify" now-a-days.

I agree with some; the dishwasher saves water and my water bill gets really high. Also, I agree that bar soap is cheaper but the savings is not worth the effort it takes to clean up the scum. My son uses the liquid body wash for hair and body. It's expensive but I use all the coupons I can get my hands on. I'm frugal but some things I won't scrimp on and this is one of the few.

I use a recycled hand soap pump bottle (store brand) for shampoo and shower gel. I find that I don't use as much and the large bottle lasts much longer.

Most people don't know that you can use half the amount of soap in both your dishwasher and washing machine and still get stuff just as clean. Also, it helps the machine because too much soap clogs up the drains.

Keep a dishpan in your sink so everytime you use your faucet you won't let any unused water go down the drain. The water from the dishpan can be used to water plants or thrown outside to water a patch of lawn.

A clever friend taught me that used dishwater is good for porch plants. The soap discourages pests and the food bits work like fertilizer.

A mom shopping at the grocery store.
Making Ends Meet
Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeMarch 24, 2010
Grapefruit slices in a canning jar.
Canning Grapefruit
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Putting Money in Change Purse
Living a Frugal Lifestyle
Photo of three red bricks.
Craft Ideas for Bricks
🎉
🎄