Caring for a Pothos Vine

I don't know what kind of plant this is, but I also need to know how to take care of it, too.

Editor's Note: This is a Pothos.

By Holly from Spring Lake, NC

Best Answer

Suggested Varieties:

'Marble Queen' - A white-variegated variety that grows very slowly.

'Golden' - Leaves and stems have a yellow hue.

'Tricolor' - mottled with or yellow, cream and pale green. Harder to find.

Growing Tips:

Pothos are very easy care plants. Your biggest chore will be keeping the vines from taking over.

Soil: Pothos prefer a slightly acidic soil, but any well-draining potting mix will suffice.

Water: Pothos like to have their soil dry out completely between waterings. If left continually in damp soil, the roots will rot. Let the plant tell you when to water. When it starts to droop, it needs a good drink. Don't wait until the leaves start to shrivel or you will lose some leaves. Unlike the general rule of watering deeply and infrequently, I have found my pothos grow best if I give them a splash of water whenever they start to droop.

Fertilize: Pothos aren't heavy feeders, but since there are no nutrients in most potting soils, feed monthly to bi-monthly, with any balanced houseplant fertilizer.

Pruning: is not required, but can be done to shape or control the size of your plant. Cut back to a leaf that is about 2" from the base of the plant, to keep new growth coming in.

Re-Potting: Eventually your pothos will become pot bound. When the leaves droop no matter how much or often you water them, the roots have probably filled the pot. Carefully lift the plant and check if that is the problem. When the plant has reached this stage, you can repot in a pot 1 or 2 sizes larger, with fresh soil. It helps to trim the plant back at this time also. If you don't want a larger plant, you can try dividing the plant or simply takes some cuttings and start over. Good luck.

I love pothos because it is very easy to propagate. I took cuttings and put them in nice size pots every spring and we were able to use the "new" plants for hospital and nursing home visits. It grows nicely. I always kept the long runners trimmed to "bulk" up the plant. Good luck