Using Tomatoes That Froze on the Vine

Category Food Tips
Tomatoes that have frozen on the vine can still be used for some things. This is a guide about using tomatoes that froze on the vine.

I have a lot of tomatoes that are frozen on the vine. Any use for them?

Answers

I can't see why you couldn't use frozen tomatoes in sauces, or chutney, depending on whether they are ripe or still green. I'd just boil them enough to remove the skins, whether you use a sieve or muslin to strain the skin out ... A sieve would probably be better as you could still keep the seeds this way ... & only remove the larger pieces of skin ... but if the skin doesn't bother you, just boil them up with spices & a touch of sugar for a yummy bolognaise sauce.

However if anyone knows any reason/s they can't be used in this manner, I'd be very interested to hear them. Cheers, W.

Anonymous

Wendy, that is what I would do and even mix red and green together when water bathing them.

Saving these tomatoes sounds good in theory, and I commend you for not wanting to waste food. But, I'm afraid you would end up with a watery, practically tasteless mush. Maybe you can prove me wrong. That would make me happy.