Distinguishing Between Pothos and Philodendron

Pothos and philodendron plants can often be confused for one another. If you are having difficulty differentiating between the two when trying to identify a houseplant there are some helpful tips and links on this page.

I have been going around in circles trying to figure out which of these is a pothos or a philodendron or if these are just something else entirely. All were in a jar of water that were given to me and I call them the mystery plants.
Please help steer me in the right direction.
1. philodendron?
2. golden pothos?
3. lemon lime philodendron?
4. pothos or philodendron?
5. other?
6. golden pothos?
7. jade pothos?
8. golden pothos?

Thanks!

Answers

Best Answer

Pothos has a larger, waxier leaf. Philodendron has a dainty stem. My guess is that you have a heart shaped philodendron.

Best Answer

This is an ongoing debate and there are dozens of websites that talk about the differences.

This is just one of many and each one is more confusing than the next because there are adult leaves, juvenile leaves, under watered issues, over watered issues etc....see the article on the link:

www.costafarms.com/.../pothos-and-philodendron-twin-plants...

I say send a photo to the experts at your local home extension and let them give the final blessing on what you have!!

The finder is easy to use if you are in the US. Post back what you learn:

pickyourown.org/countyextensionagentoffices.htm

Anonymous
Best Answer

Philodendron scandens

Thanks for the suggestion Pghgirl40! I was going around in circles trying to figure them out based on probably those same websites. I have found the local extension information needed for the Master Gardner's in my area and will send off an email. If I can get some information I will post some updates on what I learn.

Home and Garden Gardening Plant Info What Is This PlantOctober 11, 2019
🎃