Chemical Odor After Plumbing Work

I recently had major plumbing work performed in my master bathroom. They had to remove the tiles in my shower to get to the pipes. Upon completion of the work including re-tilng of the shower, there seems to be a lingering strong chemical smell.

We tried to vent out the room for 2 weeks but anytime you shut the doors to the bathroom or bedroom, the chemical smell accumulates. Has anyone experienced this after major plumbing and tile work? Any recommendations on testing the air. We're in our 37th week of pregnancy and are concerned for the baby.

Hegel from Houston, TX

Best Answer

Invite the local Plumbing Inspector over for his/her opinion..

Best Answer

I'm not sure if this will work, but try setting several bowls of baking soda in the room and close the door to see if that will absorb the smell. Change every couple of days with fresh baking soda. Good Luck

I would contact the plumber that did the work and ask if the odor is normal. The silicone sealant we used when we redid our bathroom had an odor, but it didn't last as long as two weeks.

Boy Helping Dad with Plumbing
Plumbing Advice for Homeowners
Consumer Advice General AdviceFebruary 26, 2009
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Plumber fixing a leaky faucet.
Fixing Leaky Faucets
A colorful stack of new clothing.
Removing Chemical Odors From New Clothing
Shower drain with hair
Unclogging a Shower Drain