Simple Things We Can Do To Save Energy

Saving energy is not only good for the planet but can also save you money each month. With a couple of simple changes you could reduce your monthly energy bill. This is a guide about simple things we can do to save energy.

July 6, 2010 Flag

1. Educate yourself to understand your utility bills and each line item and charge included in your bill. Knowledge can save you money!

2. Review your monthly bills carefully. Look for unexpected increases in your usage. This could signal a larger problem (water leak, decaying caulk around windows, etc)

3. Raise your thermostat 2 degrees in the summer and lower it 2 degrees in the winter. Wear a sweater when you're cold

4. Take advantage of ON-DEMAND conservation if your utility companies offer it. Mine credits my bill $5 during the warmest months ($20 annually) by switching on and off my units with no adverse effect to my homes cooling

5. UNPLUG anything plugged into an electrical outlet pulls current even when it is turned off. Unplug anything you can when it is not in use!

6. Yes, your father was right! TURN OFF THE LIGHT when you leave a room. This goes for computers too.

7. Pay your bill automatically via your checking account. You'll save the price of a stamp each month and never make a late payment. Plus, this is a free service

8. Take advantage of energy audits if offered by your utility company. They'll suggest ways to reduce your energy consumption. They are generally free

9. Use high efficiency lighting by replacing your incandescent bulbs with CFL light bulbs

10. Close blinds and curtains during the hottest part of the day to reduce super heating your home. This works well in the winter months to keep out the cold at night!

11. When replacing appliances, purchase the most energy efficient you can afford.

12. Showers use less water than baths

13. Collect water in a container to water your plants while waiting for the water to heat up for your shower.

14. Install low flow showerheads.

15. Employ a timer when taking a shower to reduce the amount of water that goes down the drain.

16. Reduce the water in your washing machine to match the size of the load. Wash only full loads. Wash in cold water whenever possible.

17. When possible, allow clothes to air or line dry.

18. Sign up for the budget plan, if your utility company offers it. The budget plans, bills you a set amount for a set period of time (usually 6 months) calculated from your previous utilization. This helps you avoid a nasty $400 bill when you least expect it. It's easier to budget your energy costs.

These savings tips are not painful and will help your pocketbook while helping the environment.

By skibum1910 from Prospect, KY

We added insulation in our attic and I was amazed at how much it helped with temperature control not only in the winter but the summer. It's about 7 degrees cooler on the first floor. Here's a neat diagram that explains where you need insulation, it can help all over the house!

http://www.oldhouseweb.com/how-to-advice/insulation-the-facts-part-2.shtml

Your TV, dryer and computer use the most energy of all appliances. Turn off the TV or computer when you're done with it. Try running the dryer for half the time you're supposed to. Lots of times, things dry faster than you think. Read more books. Take a walk.

May 13, 2010 Flag

How I save energy in my home is really easy. I start with the fridge since it is one of the items in the home that uses the most energy. My Frugal LifeWhen I take a jug of milk out, I replace it with another filled with water. A full fridge will not run as much as one that is half full to nearly empty.

I use what hot water I plan for the day such as bathing and washing dishes and then I turn the breaker for the hot water heater off, after allowing the water to reheat. Since I have it wrapped in a blanket, it will stay hot for me to use the next day. On the third day, I turn the breaker back on to heat water again.

One day a week, I do all of my basic cooking for the week. That keeps the oven and stove from being used each day. Plus, it cuts down on heat in the house during the summer. Reheating it only takes a minute using the microwave.

By Bren from Birmingham, AL

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Good for you. You wouldn't believe the times of day I do my cooking and chores as we have half price electricity after 10 at night and at weekends. Midnight jam anyone?

Your article is really good and practical. There are only two of us and our energy bill is too high. Thank you for writing. (We use the TV one hour a day but I do use the computer...and turn it off/unplug it when I'm finished)

November 18, 2008 Flag

I purchased white night lights that have an on/off switch from the dollar store, for all over our house. We find they put out plenty of light. For example in the bathroom, the light is fine to use the bathroom, brush our teeth, get dressed, etc. We then switch them off and use the brighter lights as necessary for combing hair, applying makeup, etc. Another example is in larger rooms, someone reading may use a brighter light to read by, and you could use a night light on the other side of the room where someone is watching TV or just relaxing.

What the what? Edit: I thought you said you did hair to a night light. I'm having a laugh at myself right now.

Which dollar store did you score them at and do you have pictures of the nifty lights? I ask which store because where I live, there is a Dollar Tree chain and now and then I'll find something very useful like an LED flashlight I scored for 1.00 including batteries a day before our power went out for 3 days and thank God I rolled up on that little flashlight! Sounds cool...wonder if it could work for me? :) Thanks for posting!

I buy my nightlights at Dollar Tree. Also, they have replacement bulbs at four for $1 which is an excellent price. I have one that is like the one the poster mentioned. I keep it in my kitchen to see in the evenings. The other one is in the bathroom. that has a sensor and goes on by itself when it is dark.

I agree that these are wonderful. I suggest leaving some on in the entry area for when you are out at night. Most of us usually leave a lamp on inside so we don't come home to a really dark house. But the night light is a much cheaper light to leave on.

April 30, 2012 Flag
Kelly Ann Butterbaugh2 found this helpful

Sometimes it's okay not to listen to your mother. You can wear white any time of the year and leaving your air conditioner running when you're not home doesn't save money.

Boy Putting Quarter in Piggy Bank

November 14, 2010 Flag

If you seldom use your computer's peripherals, save money by plugging those devices into a separate plug-strip that you can switch 'on and off'. Even if you have your devices turned off, those little transformers are still drawing watts if plugged in.

July 14, 2008 Flag
Kelly Ann Butterbaugh0 found this helpful

With the end of many states' electric rate freezes, the cost of electricity is rising at an alarming rate. Even if you're still protected under a frozen rate, it's not a bad idea to alter habits now.

Simple Tips to Save Electricity

August 25, 2008 Flag

Even though fuel prices have dropped a bit, I still save as much as I can. I live in a hilly area. Whenever I can, I put my car in neutral and coast. I seem to be saving a few gallons every mont, it adds up!

September 21, 2006 Flag

Energy Saving Window Covers. To save on high gas bills, I replaced the curtains on the Northwest side of my home with black 3 mil paper. The paper absorbs the heat from the sun and prevents the leaking of warm air inside to the outside. . .

November 14, 2001 Flag

Here are some simple ideas for saving energy, from gasoline to electricity. Do you have some ideas that are not mentioned in this list. Please add them, below.

January 14, 2005 Flag

I save on utility bills by air-drying virtually ALL of my laundry. In good weather, I use my backyard clothesline (my environmentally friendly solar-powered dryer).

October 12, 2011 Flag

Video game consoles use a lot of energy, and they waste a lot of energy when not being used. You will save 75% of that energy, if you turn them off when they're not being used.

April 11, 2013 Flag

Saving money from your electrical bills by simply unplugging your appliances or turning off your surgers, especially if you have a digital TV. Turning off your surger that the digital TV is plugged into will save your TV life too.

April 18, 2007 Flag

I just read this on "Earth Easy", great tips:

August 28, 2008 Flag

Keeping our electric bill down is continually a challenge. We have had over 30 days over 100 this year. I keep a folder to store any tips I find in magazines. While cleaning the folder out last week, I came across a great article I would like to share about high tech's hidden cost. This is average annual energy cost for each item.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 24, 2005 Flag

To help keep gas and electricity bills down, slow down your water when you take a shower. For some reason we think we need it on all the way.

September 23, 2005 Flag

In your office, while not using your equipment, keep these items turned off or in "sleep" mode, until ready to use and turn off immediately after each use.

Load More
Better Living Green Living Conservation EnergySeptember 7, 2011
Home Energy Audit
Getting a Home Energy Audit
Freezer
Reducing Your Freezer's Energy Consumption
Woman Using Fan to Cool Off
Reducing Energy Usage in the Summer
Shady Trees
Save Energy With Trees
🎉
🎄