Inexpensive Signs

When my friends and I used to have a group garage sale, we always had tons of shoppers. The shoppers frequently told us they came because they noticed our outstanding artistic signs. For example, a poster might have a drawing of a clothesline with items of clothing hanging off of it.

We always did signs on brightly colored poster board (which could be covered with clear plastic in case of rain) with everything clearly written. You need something that can really catch their eye. We were also carefully to post our signs where they could be easily seen.

This is a good tip but it made me laugh, remembering some garage sale signs that my brother and I made when we were teenagers. We would get boxes at the liquor or grocery store and write on the backs with a black marker. Not beautiful but thrifty, for sure.

After making a few generic signs, we begin to improvise. I remember one was on a Gallo wine box. We used the front and said "Ernest and Julio Gallo Shop At Garage Sales!" Perhaps hoping for the goth crowd, another said "The Harbinger of Doom Lurks At Our Garage Sale." I'm sure there were others.

Your advice is sound. I would also advise sign makers to make sure the arrow is very prominent. When you have people already looking for your signs the arrow is the most important thing as you get closer to the sale. Especially at an intersection. Just the other day I was heading to a yard sale and turned up the wrong street. I barely notice the head of the arrow as I made the turn and turned around. Even a prominent >> instead of a ==> is very helpful in getting people to check out your sale.

It also helps to put a mileage on the sign if the sale is very far from the corner it is on. If I don't see a sale after 2 blocks I turn around (unless I see it up the street).

Yard Sale Sign
Making Garage Sale Signs
Garage Sales SignsAugust 31, 2010
A platter of fruit and cheese.
Inexpensive Wedding Appetizers
Hacker sitting streaming data
Warning Signs for Internet Scams
Generic Election signs
Recycling Political Campaign Signs
Finding an Inexpensive Car, Blue Volkswagon Beetle parked by a building.
Finding an Inexpensive Car
🎉
🎄