Still Frugal

I came from a family of 10 kids. With 12 people in the house, we had to be frugal - that's all we knew. My Mom, never bought anything that she couldn't make. She made fabulous meals that stretched with enough for leftovers. I never ate in a restaurant until I was 13 years old - and then my neighbor treated me. I never felt deprived - I thought that's how everybody lived.

Now in my married life, I'm still frugal. I stick the tail end of a bar of soap to the new bar so nothing is wasted. I cut the top off the toothpaste tube - still a couple of brushings left! I pull the plastic pour spout out of the laundry detergent, you'd be surprised how much is still left in those bottles that won't come out! I make all my own Christmas gifts. Best of all, I found the greatest 2nd hand store where I buy my clothes. I can get better things there for less!

Lovethosehounds from Port Charlotte, FL

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

I really admire you and I have to say it is about time someone spoke up for big families and frugal living that happens in them. I too come from a big family. I am happy to hear how you have taken what you learned growing up and integrated it into your adult life, marriage, and family. I only hope to continue and honor my frugal family living as they have lived in my married life when I do get married someday like you have honored your family traditions.

April 20, 2010 Flag

I do not have to be frugal anymore, but I can't change! I did it when I had 4 children, now they are grown and it's only me and my dog. My Frugal Life

I do not use paper products, that is the biggest waste. I recycle my old white socks (washed in Clorox) as dish rags, to mop small areas, to clean up after my dog (and toss). I buy the cheap brand.

I keep old white towels (washed in Clorox) which become kitchen towels. I put them to work outside if they get too dingy. I use them to dry my dishes after they air dry on top.

I buffer all my soups with rice or noodles to make them last 3-4 days. I cook beans on Sunday, and then freeze half. The other half, I make into soup or refried for my tacos.

Isabel from South Texas

I think this is all fine as long as you're happy living that way. But I think you should pamper yourself some and give to someone in need. And I don't see anything wrong with what's you're doing.

Don't feel that this is a bad thing. What is good for your pocketbook is often good for the Earth as well. So you are being thrifty and "green" as well. Happy Earth Day!

Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeMay 3, 2006
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Frugal Birthday Party
Frugal Party Locations
Vacation Fund Jar
Frugal Vacation Activities
A young child counting coins.
Teaching Your Kids About Frugal Living
🎉
🎄