Still Frugal

I came from a family of 10 kids. With 12 people in the house, we had to be frugal - that's all we knew. My Mom, never bought anything that she couldn't make. She made fabulous meals that stretched with enough for leftovers. I never ate in a restaurant until I was 13 years old - and then my neighbor treated me. I never felt deprived - I thought that's how everybody lived.

Now in my married life, I'm still frugal. I stick the tail end of a bar of soap to the new bar so nothing is wasted. I cut the top off the toothpaste tube - still a couple of brushings left! I pull the plastic pour spout out of the laundry detergent, you'd be surprised how much is still left in those bottles that won't come out! I make all my own Christmas gifts. Best of all, I found the greatest 2nd hand store where I buy my clothes. I can get better things there for less!

Lovethosehounds from Port Charlotte, FL

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

I really admire you and I have to say it is about time someone spoke up for big families and frugal living that happens in them. I too come from a big family. I am happy to hear how you have taken what you learned growing up and integrated it into your adult life, marriage, and family. I only hope to continue and honor my frugal family living as they have lived in my married life when I do get married someday like you have honored your family traditions.

April 20, 2010 Flag

I do not have to be frugal anymore, but I can't change! I did it when I had 4 children, now they are grown and it's only me and my dog. My Frugal Life

I do not use paper products, that is the biggest waste. I recycle my old white socks (washed in Clorox) as dish rags, to mop small areas, to clean up after my dog (and toss). I buy the cheap brand.

I keep old white towels (washed in Clorox) which become kitchen towels. I put them to work outside if they get too dingy. I use them to dry my dishes after they air dry on top.

I buffer all my soups with rice or noodles to make them last 3-4 days. I cook beans on Sunday, and then freeze half. The other half, I make into soup or refried for my tacos.

Isabel from South Texas

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments
Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeMay 3, 2006
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Frugal Birthday Party
Frugal Party Locations
Vacation Fund Jar
Frugal Vacation Activities
A young child counting coins.
Teaching Your Kids About Frugal Living
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 2:26:40 PM on 10.0.0.234 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.