Using Chestnuts To Control Spiders - Categories:

SpidersPest Control

Using Chestnuts To Control Spiders

I've heard of using chestnuts to control spiders. Do you use them whole, or do you break them up?

Carol from Frederick, MD

Answers

Unfortunately that and most other remedies are myths. Apparently spideys can't smell. I recommend reading the info at the link below. (warning: it has some pics.)

And most spideys you find indoors are house spiders that have always lived inside. They didn't make their way in from outdoors. There is no known way to 'repel' them. I found if I keep the clutter down and get rid of any thing that they would consider food then then tend to appear less.

We used to have a chestnut tree in our yard and there were spiders in the tree so chestnuts do not work.

I am scared stiff of them. At least I live where there aren't much of the hazardous kind.

http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/spidermyth/

Myth: "Hedge apples" (Osage orange fruit) or horse chestnuts can be used to repel spiders:

http://www.washington.edu/burkemuseum/spidermyth/myths/skineggs.html

Home and Garden Pest Control SpidersJune 12, 2008
water chestnuts
Recipes Using Water Chestnuts
Spider Hanging on web Outside
Getting Rid Of Spiders Outside House
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Water Chestnuts
Freezing Water Chestnuts
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 1:06:24 AM on 10.0.1.144 in 711 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.