Homemade Exfoliator Recipes

Exfoliation is an important element to your skin care regime. Exfoliating your skin gets rid of all the dead skin cells that make your skin look dull. Making your own exfoliator is easy. This page contains recipes for homemade exfoliator.

Homemade Exfoliator
Filter Sort

Tip: Baking Soda for Exfoliating Mask

By Polly Levesque 28 28

The other day I was using baking soda for any of the million jobs that it does around the house, and I noticed this: if you mix three parts baking soda and one part water (I used 1 tsp. of it with just enough water to make it into a paste), you can use it as an exfoliating mask! Just use it after you've washed your face, and then rinse. It also suggests using it once a week for "fuller, more manageable hair" by mixing one teaspoon to your shampoo once a week. Who'da thunk it? Talk about frugal living!

Source: armhammer.com

By Pollylev

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Homemade Exfoliating Products

It is my turn to host a group of friends that just started a every-other-month get-together. The hostess is to come up with something to make. I'd like to "discover" how to make exfoliating bath rubs and hand rubs. My daughter-in-law has some hand scrub beside her kitchen sink she uses all the time and it makes her hands look like she's just had a spa treatment on them. It's got some crystal type (epson salts) in it and some oil, then scented lightly. I'd love to gather the stuff up to make this as our June get-togehter project. Anyone know where I can find information on making this type of product?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Karen H. 10 140 Flag

You can also go to Daily Worth.com. They have Lip balm Body scrub & Lotion recipes. Betty Crocker has Miracle Milk Bath, Total Beauty has 9 warm Weather DIY Hair and Skin Care Recipes, Good Housekeeping has Homemade Beauty Treatments, i.e.;Happy Hand Exfoliant, Peach Honey Mask, Toner etc. Ladies Home Journal has Homemade Beauty Recipes, Stash Tea.com has Tea-Beauty recipes As do most of the Tea sites;( ie; Bigelow.com, Celestial Seasonings.com,etc.) FaveCrafts.com has Snowballs For The Bath -plus other recipes & Crafts. Better Homes & Gardens has Handmade Bath Gifts & The Herb Quarterly.com has Homemade recipes for a lot of bath & beauty products. Lots of variety. These make Great Gifts. I make them myself.I save all kinds of jars to put them in.Great for Teens & Tweens too!. Have fun! : )

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Sugar as an Exfoliant

By Diane 6 40

Recycle an empty plastic spice bottle that you've used up and fill with sugar. The ones with holes are especially handy to clean out then fill with sugar. Then it's safe to use in the shower, as sugar works as an excellent and natural exfoliant for your skin. Replacing the top keeps it from spilling out and the holes make it easier to sprinkle it on your body where you want it to go. No need to have to buy expensive bath products to help remove dead skin cells when your own bath soap (and a little sugar) can do the job!

By Diane from Rochester, NY

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Multi-Purpose Lavender Oil Scrub

By melissa 275 423

This is an all natural, delightful smelling scrub. It works wonderfully to exfoliate your skin from your face to your toes. After I used this on my face I couldn't believe how soft my skin was! And no more dry skin.

It also works wonders as a degreaser for the hands. The Hubster was working on his truck and came in with pure black arms and hands. Dish soap wouldn't even phase it. A few teaspoons of this stuff and he was completely clean in seconds! So I am going to make an extra jar for him, but without the bow.:)

Approximate Time: A few minutes

Yield: 1 small jar, about 1 cupfinished jar of scrub

• 3/4 cup fine grain sea salt
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 50 drops lavender essential oil
Multi-Purpose Lavender Oil Scrub

1. Find a clean jar, I used an empty maraschino cherry jar. Add your salt.
  2. Multi-Purpose Lavender Oil Scrub
  3. Add your oils.
  4. Multi-Purpose Lavender Oil Scrub
  5. Mix well.
  6. Multi-Purpose Lavender Oil Scrub
  7. Decorate your jar if desired, I used some lacey wrap I purchased from Dollar Tree and a fake flower.
  8. Multi-Purpose Lavender Oil Scrub
  9. This would make a nice gift! Quick and easy.

Source: Based off an idea I saw in a book once

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Homemade Sugar Exfoliator

By Lyon 5 9

Sugar is a very good Exfoliator. Try this Sugar Exfoliator to get that amazing glow on your skin.

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup Ground Almond
  • 1/2 cup Oatmeal
  • 1/4 cup Sugar
  • whole milk to make a thick paste

Directions

Mix these well to form a thick paste and apply on your face/body. Keep it for 15 minutes and scrub off gently. It exfoliates your skin and will give your skin an amazing glow.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

Pamper yourself on a budget and rejuvenate your skin using a homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub: Fill a small resealable container (like Gladware) with table salt. Pour in enough olive oil until it reaches the top of the salt. Cover and use all over your body the next time you shower. The salt will scrub away dead skin cells, giving you a healthy glow and the oil will moisturize your skin.

By Marnita from Cumming, GA

Answers:

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

Great idea, Marnita. I do the same thing and add dried rosemary so it smells really good. It's great for dry hands in the winter months. (07/20/2006)

By Eileen Celeste

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I do the same thing, except I use white sugar, instead of salt. The main reason I do this, is sugar won't sting if the skin is broken. (07/20/2006)

By Jilson

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

This website has some wonderful body scrub recipes well worth a look.

http://www.craftbits.com/viewCategory.do?categoryID=BAB

(07/21/2006)

By Trisha

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I would worry about the oil going down the drain. I have trouble with slow drain already. (07/21/2006)

By jo

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I use sweet almond oil with mine & use it for my hands, especially if I'm going out & will be shaking hands with people. Leaves hands sooo soffft.

(08/29/2006)

By Wendy from Oz.

glow

If you have dull skin, or just want an exfoliating scrub,
get some honey and sugar, and mix till the paste is really thick, and smear it on. if your mixture isn't thick, it will drip everywhere. Leave on for a few minutes. It really works! your face glows (04/30/2007)

By kitty

Archive: Sugar as an Exfoliant

Sugar! I love to buy new beauty products every once in a while, but I will never buy another exfoliating product again. I take a big ziplock bag full sugar and store it in the bathroom. Once a week, in the shower, I grab a couple of handfuls and start scrubbing my arms, legs, face, and it works better than any product that I have bought. I hope all of you will try this-it really makes you feel great!

By Robyn from Altoona

Feedback:

RE: Sugar as an Exfoliant

I love Dove bar soap. I work up a handful of lather and pour about 2 tablespoons of sugar into the lather and then scrub away! It feels so great when you rinse off! I can't understand why someone would choose to use salt (it can burn) or cornmeal or oatmeal which leaves a yucky mess for your drains! It's sugar for me too! (03/24/2006)

By Grandma Margie.

RE: Sugar as an Exfoliant

Thanks so much for the tip!! I can't wait to try it! (03/24/2006)

By crys7881

RE: Sugar as an Exfoliant

I mix it with cooking oil, organic sunflower oil is good (Lots of vitamin E) and olive oil would probably be very good for the skin too. The sugar exfoliates and the oil moisturises and helps hold the sugar together in a paste. Skin feels amazingly well exfoliated and moisturised! Be careful in the bath afterwards, it does make it very slippery! (03/25/2006)

By Cammyhen

RE: Sugar as an Exfoliant

You can also add sugar or salt to liquid hand soap for added scrubbing power... (03/27/2006)

By Jenn

RE: Sugar as an Exfoliant

For a finer exfoliant, use baking soda. I use it mixed with my facial wash for super smooth skin on my face (03/28/2006)

By paintbrush21

RE: Sugar as an Exfoliant

Am going to try out the ideas on exfoliants, thanks guys! Would castor sugar be useful as a finer exfoliant on the face? For a pedicure exfoliant do you simply increase the dosage of sugar to make it stronger? (04/01/2006)

By vicky

RE: Sugar as an Exfoliant

I have strange combination skin and often have icky dry skin around my mouth and forehead that never seems to want to go away. I've used tons of masks and cleansers, but they only work for a few moments. I used sugar to ex foliate for the first time and my skin is smoother than its been in years. I have pretty sensitive skin, so it's great to have something so gentle to use. (03/26/2008)

By sunshine

RE: Sugar as an Exfoliant

I am a licensed esthetician and have been incorporating sugar into several of my facials and body treatments for many years now. It is incredibly gentle on even my most sensitive clients! It is without a doubt, my exfoliant of choice. (05/26/2008)

By Ginger

Does anyone have a recipe for a facial scrub, and I can also use it all over my body.

Jamish from Ransom

Feedback:

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

Corn meal will make a great scrub--all natural. Just be sure and get corn meal--not corn bread mix. Add anything from olive oil to mashed avocados. Mix only what you need at a time. (11/29/2007)

By falldowngobump

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I worry about any oils going down the drain. I keep a container of baking soda in my tub. A small amount of it in my hand mixed with water is a great scrub for face and body, and wont hurt your drain. I save the oils for right after the shower.

(12/30/2007)

By londa

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

My favorite scrub is this:

• 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 tsp. milk
mix it together and rub on your face. Lay on a towel on the floor for ten minutes the wash it off. While I'm laying on the floor, i listen to music. It is really easy.
Hailey Got- new jersey (12/30/2007)

By Hailey

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I normally mix a cup of ready oatmeal with 1 Tbsp honey and 1-2 tbsp yogurt. You can rub this mix both on your face and on your body for about 10-15 minutes and then rinse with cold lukewarm water. It helps get rid of your dead cells and makes your skin really really soft. (03/25/2008)

By guddi

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

Can you use these scrubs in exchange for soap products? Or do you need to use them in addition to soap products. I have made an oil and sugar scrub but it is time consuming to wash then scrub. (04/03/2008)

By Andrea

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

Wow, wow! I love the idea of salt with olive oil! I'm gonna try it right now! Hope it really works! (06/20/2008)

By Nadine

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I got a great body scrub mix out of Cosmo a few days ago. It really makes your skin silky soft. Mix the juice of half a lime, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, and a shot of rum. Dip the other half of the lime into the scrub and massage your skin with it in a circular motion. Rinse and voila! Your skin will be totally smooth and silky.
What I love best about this mix is that your skin smells so good afterwards - a sweet lime scent that lasts for hours. I recommend this highly! (06/22/2008)

By Kathleen

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I mix 1 cup of granulated sugar with a tsp. of vanilla, 1/4 cup of chamomile tea and 2 tbsp. vegetable oil. It works amazingly and the smells help me relax in the shower. I will also use lemon juice instead of tea if I want a good pick me up. (06/25/2008)

By arly

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I use ground used coffee, sea salt, and olive oil or flaxseed oil. Amazing results! (07/03/2008)

By Claudia

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

The best scrub around is the following compound:

• Table salt
  • olive oil
  • white vinegar

Directions:

1. Wash your face with a white cloth and Ivory Soap.

2. Use the above compound as a scrub

3. Scrub your face as firmly as comfortable for you.

4. Use Circular even strokes

5. Continue this scrub process for about 2-3 minutes

6. Rinse face

7. Apply a thin layer of olive oil to the face as a moisturizer

8. If you are going out also apply a thin layer of non-hypoallergenic SPF45 Sunscreen.

9. Conduct this treatment Mornings and Nights (Daily)

10. Enjoy beautiful skin!
(07/05/2008)

By Jess

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I made a really good scrub which worked REALLY good. Get any type of herbal tea (such as; chamomile, rose hip, spearmint, etc), and pour some into a container (you only need about 1 or 2 tablespoons of this) our some sugar and oil in to it (you can use types like; almond, olive, coconut, etc) then break the tea bag open, mix some of the tea leaves in and some coffee beans, or any the of exfoliant, like salt, sugar, etc. It helps with the sugar; keep adding sugar if this is runny. This mixture is supposed to be thick and sticky. Add a tiny bit of milk to soften your skin, then get two or three pinches, and wet this so it becomes kind of diluted, and rub gently on to your skin. rub too hard, your skin wont glow, it'll turn red. then rinse with the coldest water you can get. WOW! (07/08/2008)

By Angelina

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I always make this when I have the ingredients; it works super good and everyone says my skin is gorgeous and radiant.

• 2 mashed strawberries
  • 6-8 drops rose hip/jojoba/macadamia/almond oil
  • 10 spoons of sugar (need to make the scrub really thick)

Smear it on gently and massage using upward motions, then rinse off after a few minutes of massage.

I swear, it works so good. I've used it for 2 years and I don't have any wrinkles. (08/10/2008)

By bellashley

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

The best body scrub I've ever made is

• 1 cup of sugar
  • lemon juice

Mix it together Then use a soft soap like tone or dove lather on body then use your sugar scrub. (11/23/2008)

By Lodea

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I tried a scrub a few weeks ago to save some money, and it worked wonders!

• oatmeal
  • green tea
  • vegetable oil
  • vanilla
  • sugar

It smells awesome too! (12/11/2008)

By Rachel

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I use 2 different kinds of recipes, one for my face and one for my body. Face I used honey and baking soda. It works better than those crystal derma kits! Plus Honey is natural antibacterial and moisturizing.

For my body I use Walgreen's make a lavender Epsom bath salt (smells really good) and mix that with baby oil or olive oil! (01/09/2009)

By Kristle

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

Olive oil and sugar works great! But be careful DON'T scrub too hard or go back and re do problem areas. I did and I got red swollen splotches on my face where I had scrubbed too hard. (02/12/2009)

By Michelle

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

The best body scrub I made:

• 2 Tbsp. gram flour/wheat flour
  • 2 pinches turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp. olive oil/almond oil
This works great on all skin types and skin becomes so smooth n glows. Turmeric is a good antiseptic, olive oil acts as moisturizer, graham/wheat flour exfoliates. (02/16/2009)

By Khushi

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I used to use an expensive micro exfoliant until I could no longer afford it. I now use plain Arm and Hammer Baking Soda and love the results. I keep a box in the shower. My grandson had diaper rash and we put baking soda in his bath water and his rash cleared in a matter of hours. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. I love it! (02/18/2009)

By Ginger

RE: Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I used a small gladware bowl with a lid. I covered the bottom with sea salt. Then I used the same amount of honey on top of that. I used 1 capful of olive oil. Then I used 1 capful of Captain Morgan's Parrot Bay Coconut Rum. Mixed it all together and made a scrub. If its too runny, add more salt. I love it and it makes my face feel so soft and it shines. Plus the honey and coconut smell great together! Just scrub as if you are washing your face and then rinse with warm water! Let me know how it works for you! (09/19/2009)

By KeriLynn21

Health & Beauty Beauty Beauty Recipes FacialsAugust 18, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Photo of homemade orange jello.
Homemade Jello (Gelatin) Recipes
Homemade Moisturizer in a jar near a fern leaf
Homemade Moisturizer Recipes
Chex Mix
Homemade Chex Mix Recipes
Sugar exfoliant
Homemade Sugar Exfoliator Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 12:38:58 PM on 10.0.0.10 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings