Homemade Exfoliator Recipes

Category Facials
Exfoliation is an important element to your skin care regime. Exfoliating your skin gets rid of all the dead skin cells that make your skin look dull. Making your own exfoliator is easy. This page contains recipes for homemade exfoliator.

Instead of spending money on store bought exfoliators make your own quick, simple and fabulous. Wet your face with warm water. In your hand, mix baking soda and honey. Scrub your face and rinse - that's it.

The baking soda works as the exfoliator and the honey is antibacterial. Try this just once and you'll never purchase store bought again. This will make your face feel baby soft.

By Stacey from GA

May I have your "recipe" for the baking soda/honey mixture? Measurements, and if you mix it only before use? How often do you use it? I need to try something soon. Thanks!

The other day I was using baking soda for any of the million jobs that it does around the house, and I noticed this: if you mix three parts baking soda and one part water (I used 1 tsp. of it with just enough water to make it into a paste), you can use it as an exfoliating mask! Just use it after you've washed your face, and then rinse. It also suggests using it once a week for "fuller, more manageable hair" by mixing one teaspoon to your shampoo once a week. Who'da thunk it? Talk about frugal living!

Source: armhammer.com

By Pollylev

This might work for skin that is not sensitive but it can burn the skin if it is, and not to be used on tender young skin because of the burning it can cause. Baking Soda is a caustic based mineral salt and has many, many great uses. But on the face, it should be used with caution for most folks.

Maybe a better solution is oatmeal as a mask exfoliate it is milder and leaves the skin smooth and feeds that skin with the protein in the oat itself. I was an a skin care specialist for many years and have seen home made things either hurt or help. In this case be caustic and do not use if it burns your wrist as suggested.

This is a recipe for a simple summer detox face cleanser. We play in the mountains a lot and this facial removes dirt, grime, and sweat and leaves my face fresh. I use it 2 times a week, especially after a long ride on our four wheelers!

Take two tablespoons baking soda and two tablespoons of sugar and slowly add droplets of water until it forms a paste. (Sometimes I get the paste thick, sometimes I like it runny, it's up to you.) Gently rub on your face and rinse well.

It's awesome, simple, easy, and works well.

Source: I snagged this recipe from Herb Quarterly

By Bobbie Jo H. from Boise, ID

I use this recipe as well and my face is soft and silky feeling afterwards.

Recycle an empty plastic spice bottle that you've used up and fill with sugar. The ones with holes are especially handy to clean out then fill with sugar. Then it's safe to use in the shower, as sugar works as an excellent and natural exfoliant for your skin.

Want a good exfoliate that you more than likely have at home? Take your conditioner and add sugar to it. If you like a lot of exfoliator, add more sugar. If you like just a little exfoliant, add less sugar. Use this when you get done washing in the shower.

Hands massaging a sugar scrub into feet

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making strawberry foot exfoliant. Smooth out rough callouses on your feet with an exfoliant made from strawberries and other ingredients.

Patti McKenna0 found this helpful

If you have sensitive skin, try this exfoliate to remove dead skin cells and brighten your complexion.

Sugar is a very good Exfoliator. Try this Sugar Exfoliator to get that amazing glow on your skin.

A sugar scrub with sugar near it.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This page contains recipes for homemade sugar scrubs. Sugar works as a great base for an exfoliator. Exfoliation is an important step to keeping your skin looking young and vibrant.

Do you recommend olive oil and sea salt to exfoliate and for how long and how often? I do 2 minutes if using a commercial scrub.
Thanks so much for your advice.

This is supposedly a great scrub to exfoliate and replenish dry skin, but it is not advised to be used on the face, especially if you have overly sensitive, acne-prone skin, as the granules can damage the skin. If you do use it on your face, opt for the smallest salt granuesl possible.

Here is a recipe for one that's good: http://inhabita  ftershave-splash

Mediterranean Olive Oil Scrub

1/2 cup of sea salt.

1/2 cup of brown sugar (like muscovado or demerara)

1/4 cup of olive oil.

A couple of drops of orange essential oil.

I think olive oil and sugar would be a gentler scrub. I would just go over all areas lightly. 2 minutes seems like a long time.

It is my turn to host a group of friends that just started a every-other-month get-together. The hostess is to come up with something to make. I'd like to "discover" how to make exfoliating bath rubs and hand rubs. My daughter-in-law has some hand scrub beside her kitchen sink she uses all the time and it makes her hands look like she's just had a spa treatment on them. It's got some crystal type (epson salts) in it and some oil, then scented lightly. I'd love to gather the stuff up to make this as our June get-togehter project. Anyone know where I can find information on making this type of product?

Mix one-fourth (1/4th) cup of olive oil with sugar crystals (or you can use granulated brown sugar), add a few drops of lemon juice. You can also add a drop of essential oil (lavender) or some lavender leaves for a nice fresh scent.

The Recipe Goldmine is a good site.

I have my favorite it's simply powdered milk, sugar, and some sort of oil. There was probably at some point an exact amount for each of these but now I just kind of throw equal amount of milk, and sugar together then add the oil until you get a think paste about the consistence of cooked oatmeal -I use plain old veggie oil I think the origianl called for olive oil-

I take this right into the shower, rub all over and rinse off. I want warn you about two things: 1 don't shave before you use this, for some reason it irratates you skin a bit and 2. Use Dawn liquid soap after your shower to make sure you get all the oil up. The shower is slippery when you use the oil (like you coundn't figure that one out but better safe than sorry)

Sugar and milk - milk has lactic acid which acts as a chemical exfoliant while the sugar acts as a physical exfoliant. rub gently though, too rough can do more harm than good

Does anyone have a recipe for a facial scrub, and I can also use it all over my body.

Jamish from Ransom

Answers:

Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

Corn meal will make a great scrub--all natural. Just be sure and get corn meal--not corn bread mix. Add anything from olive oil to mashed avocados. Mix only what you need at a time. (11/29/2007)

By falldowngobump

Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I worry about any oils going down the drain. I keep a container of baking soda in my tub. A small amount of it in my hand mixed with water is a great scrub for face and body, and wont hurt your drain. I save the oils for right after the shower.

(12/30/2007)

By londa

Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

My favorite scrub is this:

• 2 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 tsp. milk
mix it together and rub on your face. Lay on a towel on the floor for ten minutes the wash it off. While I'm laying on the floor, i listen to music. It is really easy.
Hailey Got- new jersey (12/30/2007)

By Hailey

Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I normally mix a cup of ready oatmeal with 1 Tbsp honey and 1-2 tbsp yogurt. You can rub this mix both on your face and on your body for about 10-15 minutes and then rinse with cold lukewarm water. It helps get rid of your dead cells and makes your skin really really soft. (03/25/2008)

By guddi

Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

Can you use these scrubs in exchange for soap products? Or do you need to use them in addition to soap products. I have made an oil and sugar scrub but it is time consuming to wash then scrub. (04/03/2008)

By Andrea

Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

Wow, wow! I love the idea of salt with olive oil! I'm gonna try it right now! Hope it really works! (06/20/2008)

By Nadine

Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I got a great body scrub mix out of Cosmo a few days ago. It really makes your skin silky soft. Mix the juice of half a lime, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, and a shot of rum. Dip the other half of the lime into the scrub and massage your skin with it in a circular motion. Rinse and voila! Your skin will be totally smooth and silky.
What I love best about this mix is that your skin smells so good afterwards - a sweet lime scent that lasts for hours. I recommend this highly! (06/22/2008)

By Kathleen

Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I mix 1 cup of granulated sugar with a tsp. of vanilla, 1/4 cup of chamomile tea and 2 tbsp. vegetable oil. It works amazingly and the smells help me relax in the shower. I will also use lemon juice instead of tea if I want a good pick me up. (06/25/2008)

By arly

Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I use ground used coffee, sea salt, and olive oil or flaxseed oil. Amazing results! (07/03/2008)

By Claudia

Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

The best scrub around is the following compound:

• Table salt
  • olive oil
  • white vinegar

Directions:

1. Wash your face with a white cloth and Ivory Soap.

2. Use the above compound as a scrub

3. Scrub your face as firmly as comfortable for you.

4. Use Circular even strokes

5. Continue this scrub process for about 2-3 minutes

6. Rinse face

7. Apply a thin layer of olive oil to the face as a moisturizer

8. If you are going out also apply a thin layer of non-hypoallergenic SPF45 Sunscreen.

9. Conduct this treatment Mornings and Nights (Daily)

10. Enjoy beautiful skin!
(07/05/2008)

By Jess

Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I made a really good scrub which worked REALLY good. Get any type of herbal tea (such as; chamomile, rose hip, spearmint, etc), and pour some into a container (you only need about 1 or 2 tablespoons of this) our some sugar and oil in to it (you can use types like; almond, olive, coconut, etc) then break the tea bag open, mix some of the tea leaves in and some coffee beans, or any the of exfoliant, like salt, sugar, etc. It helps with the sugar; keep adding sugar if this is runny. This mixture is supposed to be thick and sticky. Add a tiny bit of milk to soften your skin, then get two or three pinches, and wet this so it becomes kind of diluted, and rub gently on to your skin. rub too hard, your skin wont glow, it'll turn red. then rinse with the coldest water you can get. WOW! (07/08/2008)

By Angelina

Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I always make this when I have the ingredients; it works super good and everyone says my skin is gorgeous and radiant.

• 2 mashed strawberries
  • 6-8 drops rose hip/jojoba/macadamia/almond oil
  • 10 spoons of sugar (need to make the scrub really thick)

Smear it on gently and massage using upward motions, then rinse off after a few minutes of massage.

I swear, it works so good. I've used it for 2 years and I don't have any wrinkles. (08/10/2008)

By bellashley

Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

The best body scrub I've ever made is

• 1 cup of sugar
  • lemon juice

Mix it together Then use a soft soap like tone or dove lather on body then use your sugar scrub. (11/23/2008)

By Lodea

Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I tried a scrub a few weeks ago to save some money, and it worked wonders!

• oatmeal
  • green tea
  • vegetable oil
  • vanilla
  • sugar

It smells awesome too! (12/11/2008)

By Rachel

Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I use 2 different kinds of recipes, one for my face and one for my body. Face I used honey and baking soda. It works better than those crystal derma kits! Plus Honey is natural antibacterial and moisturizing.

For my body I use Walgreen's make a lavender Epsom bath salt (smells really good) and mix that with baby oil or olive oil! (01/09/2009)

By Kristle

Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

Olive oil and sugar works great! But be careful DON'T scrub too hard or go back and re do problem areas. I did and I got red swollen splotches on my face where I had scrubbed too hard. (02/12/2009)

By Michelle

Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

The best body scrub I made:

• 2 Tbsp. gram flour/wheat flour
  • 2 pinches turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp. olive oil/almond oil
This works great on all skin types and skin becomes so smooth n glows. Turmeric is a good antiseptic, olive oil acts as moisturizer, graham/wheat flour exfoliates. (02/16/2009)

By Khushi

Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I used to use an expensive micro exfoliant until I could no longer afford it. I now use plain Arm and Hammer Baking Soda and love the results. I keep a box in the shower. My grandson had diaper rash and we put baking soda in his bath water and his rash cleared in a matter of hours. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. I love it! (02/18/2009)

By Ginger

Homemade Exfoliating Body Scrub

I used a small gladware bowl with a lid. I covered the bottom with sea salt. Then I used the same amount of honey on top of that. I used 1 capful of olive oil. Then I used 1 capful of Captain Morgan's Parrot Bay Coconut Rum. Mixed it all together and made a scrub. If its too runny, add more salt. I love it and it makes my face feel so soft and it shines. Plus the honey and coconut smell great together! Just scrub as if you are washing your face and then rinse with warm water! Let me know how it works for you! (09/19/2009)

By KeriLynn21

Sugar! I love to buy new beauty products every once in a while, but I will never buy another exfoliating product again. I take a big ziplock bag full sugar and store it in the bathroom. Once a week, in the shower, I grab a couple of handfuls and start scrubbing my arms, legs, face, and it works better than any product that I have bought. I hope all of you will try this-it really makes you feel great!

By Robyn from Altoona

Answers:

Sugar as an Exfoliant

I love Dove bar soap. I work up a handful of lather and pour about 2 tablespoons of sugar into the lather and then scrub away! It feels so great when you rinse off! I can't understand why someone would choose to use salt (it can burn) or cornmeal or oatmeal which leaves a yucky mess for your drains! It's sugar for me too! (03/24/2006)

By Grandma Margie.

Sugar as an Exfoliant

Thanks so much for the tip!! I can't wait to try it! (03/24/2006)

By crys7881

Sugar as an Exfoliant

I mix it with cooking oil, organic sunflower oil is good (Lots of vitamin E) and olive oil would probably be very good for the skin too. The sugar exfoliates and the oil moisturises and helps hold the sugar together in a paste. Skin feels amazingly well exfoliated and moisturised! Be careful in the bath afterwards, it does make it very slippery! (03/25/2006)

By Cammyhen

Sugar as an Exfoliant

You can also add sugar or salt to liquid hand soap for added scrubbing power... (03/27/2006)

By Jenn

Sugar as an Exfoliant

For a finer exfoliant, use baking soda. I use it mixed with my facial wash for super smooth skin on my face (03/28/2006)

By paintbrush21

Sugar as an Exfoliant

Am going to try out the ideas on exfoliants, thanks guys! Would castor sugar be useful as a finer exfoliant on the face? For a pedicure exfoliant do you simply increase the dosage of sugar to make it stronger? (04/01/2006)

By vicky

Sugar as an Exfoliant

I have strange combination skin and often have icky dry skin around my mouth and forehead that never seems to want to go away. I've used tons of masks and cleansers, but they only work for a few moments. I used sugar to ex foliate for the first time and my skin is smoother than its been in years. I have pretty sensitive skin, so it's great to have something so gentle to use. (03/26/2008)

By sunshine

Sugar as an Exfoliant

I am a licensed esthetician and have been incorporating sugar into several of my facials and body treatments for many years now. It is incredibly gentle on even my most sensitive clients! It is without a doubt, my exfoliant of choice. (05/26/2008)

By Ginger

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.