Laundry RecipesCleaning Supply Recipes

Making Your Own Laundry Soap with Fels Naptha Soap

How do I make laundry soap with Fels Naptha soap?

By Koposhi from Decatur, IL

Here is a sight that I found that uses Fels Napha soap to make your own laundry detergent.

http://www.wthr … y.asp?s=10723579

The article was called

"Soap lady saves money with detergent recipe"

It's a very interesting article and she gives you the receipt on how to make it.

I hope this helpful for you! : )

One very important thing to remember about using the Fels Naptha soap is that you should always remove the wrapper from each bar of soap and let it air dry out. Otherwise, you will experience a problem because the soap will be much too soft to grate. If you are having trouble finding Fels Naptha soap, try a hardware store, which is where I buy my soap.

The Fels Naptha is in bar form so you can grate it first before putting into the hot water. The first time I made detergent I made the powder form which suggested putting the bar (Ivory in place of when making for gentle washing) in the microwave for, I think a minute or so first. The Ivory bar poofs out about ten times its size (it's really fun to watch). Then I put it into my food processor. It crumbles perfectly!

However, I would NEVER use those recipe directions again because it took months for the smell (and taste, whether physiological or not) to be rid of in the microwave. The next time, I made the liquid (gel) form. But be safe! You don't want to be doing this unless you can open the windows and turn on any exhaust fans. Even with taking the precautions the smell can be quite strong. I wouldn't suggest little ones (or asthmatics) be around when making it. I would assume this stuff is made in factories with enormous exhausts and safety gear. Fels Naptha

Soap bar is an excellent and very inexpensive staple in my laundry room. It has been for years. It's excellent for pre treating! I see it popping up more and more as there are more and more thrifty seekers out there. Thank you Thrifty Fun!