When Should You Add Fabric Softener?

When using fabric softener, is it best to use only on the rinse cycle? Can the fabric softener be added at the same time as the laundry soap? Thank you.

By Theresa from Phoenix, AZ

Add your fabric softener during the rinse cycle only. I no longer spend money on fabric softener. I now use 1/2 cup of white vinegar in the rinse cycle. It softens the clothes the same way.

I do not use anything to soften clothes, they come out of the dryer soft. Fabric softener makes me itch. Good luck.

I, too use vinegar in the rinse cycle. It not only softens the clothes but it helps get rid of the soap buildup in the washing machine I'm told.

Sorry to be so negative here, but I am speaking from personal experience. i ran out of fabric softener and used vinegar instead. Well, my clothes came out hard, as I've always line dried, and they stunk something dreadful! With fabric softener, even if my laundry has been out in the sun for a couple of hours, they still are soft and nice smelling. Maybe if you use a dryer things are different, but I can certainly tell you that if you line dry your clothes, do NOT use vinegar.

Anonymous

Maybe the reason why laundry dries "Hard" when hanging on the line is.... We are using too much detergent! Whatever the detergent manufacturer recommends using per load, cut that amount in half!! Rinse twice and a half cup of white vinegar to the first rinse. Do not use any fabric softener! However, there are splendid uses for fabric softener! Static cling can be tamed by using a couple spoons of liquid softener in a spray bottle, filled with water. All you do is shake and spray the laundry once or twice as needed. During the heating season, keep a bottle near entrance of home for when you remove sweaters or coats. Spray yourself and the sweaters or coats to stop static cling and getting zapped!! Spray your carpets as needed, spray interior of the car, or wherever you need, to prevent static cling and shock. :)

You can buy a little plastic ball made for fabric softener. You pour the softener in the ball & put the plug in place & throw it in with you clothes at the beginning of the wash. The plug comes out sometime during the rinse-that way you don't have to worry about catching the rinse cycle if you don't have a cup in your machine for softener. I tried vinegar several times, but even with 1cup, my stuff was coming out of the dryer full of static electricity - anybody got any ideas on how to fix that?

I haven't used fabric softener-sheets or liquid-since trying bio-friendly laundry powder (I use Country Save, available @ London Drugs in SK, CA).

Does this help with sratic? I don't need clothes "softer", I had been using FS for anti-static. For example, vinegar does not do anything for static. Thanks!