Scunci Steamer Doesn't Steam - Categories:

AppliancesRepair

Scunci Steamer Doesn't Steam

My Scunci steamer won't work. It heats up, builds pressure, but steam won't come out. Please help.

By Rita from Cleveland, OH

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Take it back or do this;; To fix the problem of no steam coming out or steam coming out without pushing the button.

Do this:

1. Remove the two screws from the from of the steamer then remove the end cap.

2. Removed screw from the lower area of handle.

3.Top of steamer, remove the two screws under round rubber flap around fill hole.

4. Removed back of handle, top of steamer, front of steamer where nozzles attach.

5. Remove the plastic tube where the steam comes out.

6. Now look in the hole where the steam comes out and remove the 1/4 inch nut, metal washer, and rubber washer.

7. Take a small punch and lightly tap the brass rod until it pops out the back.

8. Remove the brass rod and spring. " The spring will have white crud on it and in the hole where it came out of. Clean the hole and spring realy good. This will fix the problem of steam always coming out with out pushing the button."

9. Clean the brass rod, spring, and hole that they go into. I use a very small round wire brush. "Like the kind you might use to clean a gun."

10. Spray some WD40 in the hole and on the brass rod, then put a few drops of oil on the rod.

11. Put every thing back together and it will work like new.

12. Don't use tap water in the steamer and you will not get the build up.good luck.

If I were you, I would take it back to the store where you bought it there maybe a problem with it. Get a new one and see if it works if not I would contact the manufacture. Good luck.

I used a deep socket take out the nut then used a small screw driver to get the washer and used a punch to remove the shaft.

It's not a 1/4 nut, it's the metric 6mm so youll need a 6 point 1/4, not a 12 point as it will just round the nut. remove nut and use the tip of a screwdriver to tap the threads into the washer. Once that done, the washer can be pried out (the threaded shaft is the only thing holding it in). I believe the washer and the rubber seal behind it are the valve so when you put it back together. If you tighten the nut all the way, itll prevent the valve from operating (?) so tighten and then loosen like 1/2 turn.

Now I have some light steam coming out with no trigger and a burst when I use the trigger. Remove the shaft and clean it of calcium and lime. probably wouldnt hurt to to fill with some CLR or lime away and let soak for a few hours then rinse. I got chunks of white lime dropping out of mine when I rinsed it. That will coat bottom and reduce heating ability, just like a water heater.

cheater's way: pour 1/2 cup white vinegar into the steamer. it will dissolve the lime deposits; you should see steam again in just a few minutes. i don't mind cleaning with vinegar, so i actually use the steamer this way while i clean it. but if you don't like the smell of vinegar, just run a few cycles of distilled water through and eventually the vinegar scent will evaporate.

cheater's way: pour 1/2 cup of white vinegar into the steamer. it will dissolve the lime deposits and you should see steam in just a few minutes. if the scent of vinegar bothers you, run a few cycles of distilled water thru the steamer and the smell will evaporate.

You can take it beck, but I only would suggest that if it's in warranty and you're not at all comfortable tinkering. This really is a simple and easy DIY, and I found everything exactly as Kathleen W described. Definitely use a deep-socket hex to get out the valve nut, if you have one -- I wouldn't recommend using needle-nose pliers, but they might work. The brass rod took a good bit of tapping, and the spring was really tough to get out (got it used, and it had a LOT of build-up), but just be patient and keep at it. I used a little WD-40 to help, and also the metal gun brush: .22 gauge, twist it in, then pull straight out. I snugged the valve nut down all the way on re-assembly, and it's good as new. No leaking, and a good blast when pressing the trigger. Thanks for this hack! :-)

October 28, 2012 Flag

There was a post in November of 2009 listing needed steps for repairing a Scunci steamer. At one point it very blithely states: 6. Now look in the hole where the steam comes out and remove the 1/4 inch nut, metal washer, and rubber washer. But I have no idea what tool is needed to take out the washers. They seem to be held fast by the post that the nut was on. I can't for the life of me figure this one out. I have tried asking both my son-in-law and his brother. Help! It was a post by kffrmw88. Anyone have any idea what is holding this thing in place? I am trying to do it myself. Thanks.

By Kristen C.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I did this and it really worked. Very happy to have it back in service. First, do not try to remove the rubber collar/washer under the cap. Just lift up the sides and the screws are right there. What you will need to remove the nut is a 1/4 inch socket which they sell individually at the big box stores if you don't have a socket set.

A medium size flat-bladed screwdriver stuck in the other end will do the trick to turn it. I then ran a thin bladed knife around the outside of the washers under the nut which removed a lot of debris, then tapped the brass rod out. You may need pliers to pull it out. The two washers came right out after that. I soaked everything in a lime remover for a few minutes and then a little steel wool and a brush to remove the rest.

Also used a dilute solution to clean out the container. When re-assembling, The socket came in handy for pushing the washers down on the brass post. Then, put the top back on first, making sure the spring is lined up on the post, and then the handle. Works as good as when it was new.

Home and Garden Repair AppliancesNovember 14, 2009
Fabric Steam Press
Repairing a Fabric Steam Press
Someone using a carpet cleaner.
Using A Steam Carpet Cleaner
Antique Steamer Trunk
Determining the Value of an Antique Steamer Trunk
Steam Cleaner
Steam Cleaner Doesn't Release Steam
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 22, 2016 at 12:08:31 PM on 10.0.2.72 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.