Scunci Steamer Doesn't Steam

My Scunci steamer won't work. It heats up, builds pressure, but steam won't come out. Please help.

By Rita from Cleveland, OH

Best Answer

Take it back or do this; To fix the problem of no steam coming out or steam coming out without pushing the button.

Do this:

1. Remove the two screws from the from of the steamer then remove the end cap.

2. Removed screw from the lower area of handle.

3.Top of steamer, remove the two screws under round rubber flap around fill hole.

4. Removed back of handle, top of steamer, front of steamer where nozzles attach.

5. Remove the plastic tube where the steam comes out.

6. Now look in the hole where the steam comes out and remove the 1/4 inch nut, metal washer, and rubber washer.

7. Take a small punch and lightly tap the brass rod until it pops out the back.

8. Remove the brass rod and spring. " The spring will have white crud on it and in the hole where it came out of. Clean the hole and spring really good. This will fix the problem of steam always coming out with out pushing the button."

9. Clean the brass rod, spring, and hole that they go into. I use a very small round wire brush. "Like the kind you might use to clean a gun."

10. Spray some WD40 in the hole and on the brass rod, then put a few drops of oil on the rod.

11. Put every thing back together and it will work like new.

12. Don't use tap water in the steamer and you will not get the build up.good luck.

This continues to be a GREAT post that works like a dream and gives a person the confidence to make it happen. I touched mine up and fixed the other 2 that I bought for the kids when they were in college. THX!

Anonymous

might have helped more if you had added why its important to tap lightly on the copper pc. maybe added oil before tapping as well. it wouldnt come out so i had to hit it harder now the groves are damaged so the nut will not screw back on and i cannot find a replacement . :( thankfully i only paid 2.50 for it tho but i was soooo hopefull :(

I realize this post is years old, but I am attempting this fix. Got it all cleaned up, but for the life of me can't get the nut back on the rod! Is there a trick to this?

This was great information! I was about to toss my steamer. Someone screwed the cap on lopsided so I couldn't unscrew it then a friend of mine was able to unscrew it and next on the list to rinse out the inside!

If I were you, I would take it back to the store where you bought it there maybe a problem with it. Get a new one and see if it works if not I would contact the manufacture. Good luck.

I used a deep socket take out the nut then used a small screw driver to get the washer and used a punch to remove the shaft.

It's not a 1/4 nut, it's the metric 6mm so youll need a 6 point 1/4, not a 12 point as it will just round the nut. remove nut and use the tip of a screwdriver to tap the threads into the washer. Once that done, the washer can be pried out (the threaded shaft is the only thing holding it in). I believe the washer and the rubber seal behind it are the valve so when you put it back together. If you tighten the nut all the way, itll prevent the valve from operating (?) so tighten and then loosen like 1/2 turn.

Now I have some light steam coming out with no trigger and a burst when I use the trigger. Remove the shaft and clean it of calcium and lime. probably wouldnt hurt to to fill with some CLR or lime away and let soak for a few hours then rinse. I got chunks of white lime dropping out of mine when I rinsed it. That will coat bottom and reduce heating ability, just like a water heater.

cheater's way: pour 1/2 cup white vinegar into the steamer. it will dissolve the lime deposits; you should see steam again in just a few minutes. i don't mind cleaning with vinegar, so i actually use the steamer this way while i clean it. but if you don't like the smell of vinegar, just run a few cycles of distilled water through and eventually the vinegar scent will evaporate.

cheater's way: pour 1/2 cup of white vinegar into the steamer. it will dissolve the lime deposits and you should see steam in just a few minutes. if the scent of vinegar bothers you, run a few cycles of distilled water thru the steamer and the smell will evaporate.

You can take it beck, but I only would suggest that if it's in warranty and you're not at all comfortable tinkering. This really is a simple and easy DIY, and I found everything exactly as Kathleen W described. Definitely use a deep-socket hex to get out the valve nut, if you have one -- I wouldn't recommend using needle-nose pliers, but they might work. The brass rod took a good bit of tapping, and the spring was really tough to get out (got it used, and it had a LOT of build-up), but just be patient and keep at it. I used a little WD-40 to help, and also the metal gun brush: .22 gauge, twist it in, then pull straight out. I snugged the valve nut down all the way on re-assembly, and it's good as new. No leaking, and a good blast when pressing the trigger. Thanks for this hack! :-)

Have had the same issue with our Scunci steamer over the years. Like any good device that does not work--you smack it! Not kidding...hard water/particulates build up and clog the lines. Take a hammer or other hard device and tap on the brass screw at the bottom of the entry to where the hose goes up to the steamer and the steam will somehow magically reappear. Stuff gets lodged there, tap it rather hard with a hammer or other and it should dislodge.