Cover Your Kitchen Cabinets With Corkboard

I just got out of a miserable relationship, and moved into a single wide trailer as that is all I can afford right now. I did not like the way the place looked but it is safe for my kids, my number one priority. One of the things I have done so far is corkboard the kitchen cabinets. It's just me and my 14 and 2 year old, so I made it fun. Since I can not do anything permanent, I thought about how I could corkboard the cabinets and be able to remove it later, with no damage. I've heard of cork boarding the cabinets, but never could find actual directions on how to do it. So here is what I did:

I found some rolled corkboard at Hobby Lobby; $14.99 a roll that covered 6 cabinets. I took off the cabinet fronts and all the hardware, cleaned the cabinets, laid the cabinet on the corkboard and traced it to cut the correct size. Then I hot glued the bottom corners, some hot glue up the middle and then the top. I then took white duct tape, stuck it on with about half up front and enough to hold it on in the back, it gave the cabinet a finished cork board look. I put all the hardware back in and hung the cabinets. I had a bunch of little foam symbols that I had purchased at the Dollar Tree that I added to push the tacks into because the actual rolled cork board is very thin and I want to be sure not to damage the cabinet (anymore than it was anyway). I like the way it turned out, it looks much better than it did. I have not added pictures yet because I just got my printer today, put I plan to. With a little imagination you can do a lot with this. I hope it helps someone out. My kids love it.

My plan when I leave is to remove the tape and pull off the hardened glue, then to use WD-40 to remove the tackiness. I hope it works. Also, I do not know how it will hold up to steam and such while cooking, or even how fire resistant it is, but I NEVER leave my cooking unattended.

Here is a list of items you will need for this project:

• Cork board - I used thin rolled (Hobby Lobby), but Wal-Mart has thick squares (may not be the right size for you)
  • Glue gun and glue sticks
  • Duct Tape (comes in lots of colors)
  • Items to hot glue to your finished board.

Anyway let me know if you like it and good luck to you.

By Laura from Spring Lake

Great idea and a cheap one too! Good on ya girl and all the best with your kids to have such an ingenious mum!

That is an awesome idea, it looks so cheery! Best of luck to you. Good for you for getting rid of the bum! :)

Lisa

Thanks for sharing. Clever. Good looking to boot!

That is a great idea! You are a very imaginative lady. I'm totally impressed!

thanks for the neat idea.

Zig

My Dear it looks lovely and I'm sure in no time you will have your place feeling like home again.

Great idea. I'm impressed. Going to try and I will let you know how it turns out

Using Corkboard in the Kitchen
Using Corkboard in the Kitchen
Photos Home ImprovementApril 17, 2008
Wood Kitchen Cabinets
Cleaning Wood Cabinets
White painted kitchen cabinets.
Cleaning Painted Cabinets
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets
Cleaning yellow stains on cabinets.
Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets
🎉
🎄