4 Year Old Dog Has Started Peeing in the House

Why would my 4 year old Jack Russell start peeing in the house? He has never done this before. We put paper down for him, and in the mornings he's still has been all over the place.

By Sharon from Malvern

At this time, I would definately recommend putting him in a crate for the night. They tend to like the security of their own "den" and they will also rarely go potty where they sleep.

He may have a bladder infection. My dog began doing that & when I took her to the vet they found a infection & crystals in her bladder.

October 17, 2012 Flag

We have 2 dogs. A 4-1/2 yr old Shih Tzu/Lhasa Apso (Wookie) and a 10 month old Maltipoo (Charlie). We just got Wookie back from my grammy in the beginning of September and it was the 1st time they had met.

They love each other, but about 2 weeks ago we noticed Wookie urinating uncontrollably and now it's out of control! On my bed, couch, and my daughter. I took Wookie to the vet Monday and the vet gave him an antibiotic and a hormone thinking it may be an infection, but now Charlie has started peeing as well. I went back to the vet today and he gave me another hormone med for both of them to take. My question is: have you ever heard of this? If so, what do I do?

By LoloCo

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've never heard of this and can't understand why the vet would give them hormones as the answer. Are you sure they are peeing uncontrollably? Dogs will pee to mark their territory and show dominance or when they get exited. I once had a dog who would get so excited when I came home she would squat and release her balder at my feet.(She was a Great Dane) The answer was to not look at her when first entering the house & to walk quickly to the back door to let her out. Problem fixed but had to do it forever. Good Luck. Can you try another vet?

If Wookie is a little girl dog, get a urinalysis done. My doxie Annie was doing the same thing. Turns out she had a UTI and needed antibiotics. You may want to change vets if yours didn't suggest this. No one should give hormones so easily!

Pets Dogs House TrainingMay 10, 2011
Previously House Broken Dog Has Started Pooping in the House
House Trained Dog Pooping Inside
Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside