Down Comforter Smells Burnt After Drying

I have goose feathered down duvet. I wanted to put it outside to air out, but it was raining. So instead I put it in the dryer. I never washed it, just the dryer and now it smells burnt. What do I do? I love my comforter, but I think I ruined it.

By Ann from Canada

I have a comforter with feathers in it and I wash it all the time. The feathers should not be hurt by washing them. It smells anyway, so go ahead and wash it in the gentle cycle. Then dry it and I think you will find you are happy with the results! If it is so big you have to stuff it in the machine and there is no room around it, you might like to take it to a laundromat where they have bigger washers.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4797155_wash-down-comforters-washing-machine.html

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf000288.tip.html

I had never heard of using tennis balls and if the down sometimes smells until it is completely dry from the dryer.

It sounds like your dryer may get too hot for the down. The comforter can be washed in warm water with regular detergent in a washing machine. I would try 1/3 cup of borax with the detergent to get rid of odors. If you dryer has a low setting dry the comforter in the dryer. It will take more than a couple times thru to get the down dry. If your dryer gets quite hot try a laundromat where you can dry on a low heat setting. Good Luck!

The comforter blocked the air vent on the dryer and it started burning because it got too hot. Probably because the comforter was too large for your machine. Take it to the laundrymat, use the big machines and wash it. Then dry it for a long time on lower heat. Make sure you dry it very, very, very well or the feathers will mold inside..

Down comforter on a nice bed.
Removing Odors From a Down Comforter
Home and Garden Cleaning Linens and BlanketsNovember 5, 2010
Burnt Food
Removing Burnt Food Smell from House
Burnt Cookie Sheet
Cleaning Burnt Cookie Sheets
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Fixing Burnt Sausage
End view of rolled comforter.
Make Your Own Comforter Cover
🎄
🍂