Recontouring Countertops Before Painting

I have Formica countertops in my kitchen and both bathrooms. I am going to paint them to look like granite (thanks to the advice given on here!).

In the kitchen, I have a "bar" and extended part of the countertop that I really want gone before I paint. I would like the "lip" to be as flush with the cabinets underneath as the rest of the countertop. My question is, can I somehow cut off that part of the Formica and make it look OK? Can I somehow fabricate it to look OK once it's painted? What about the trim that goes around the edge?

I know new countertops would be ideal (and some day they will be on the list), but I just wanted to do this to get me by until then. Any advice anyone could give me would really be appreciated. I've linked a few pics so you can see what I'm talking about.
Thanks to all.

photobucket.com
photobucket.com
photobucket.com
photobucket.com

By Michelle from Bakersfield, CA

Personally I think you 'should not cut' the edge of the counter top off! It looks lovely and unique and that extra counter space comes in handy. The minute you cut it off I can almost guarantee you'll be sorry. ;-)

I agree with Deeli. It looks lovely the way it is! There is no way you can finish it off to look professional and then you might as well buy new ones.

Michelle, I absolutely would not cut that off. You will never get a finished looking edge and I do think you'll be sorry. I would paint, but leave that attached. You'll love the granite look and you'll be glad you left it alone. I wish I had a counter like yours.

Thank you for your comments. I probably should have taken a picture of the entire kitchen so you can see why I wanted to remove that part. My house is only 1297 sq ft. I've had it for 14 years and I've never loved the bar area or that extended part of the countertop. To me, it always seems to be in the way and no one has ever sat in the bar stools that have been there. It's just me, my husband and our dogs. No kids (and no plans of kids). I was just wanting more room. We are definitely not lacking in countertop space (even if that part was gone). It wraps around in a half rectangle and there is tons of countertop on the other side. I guess I will wait until we do get new countertops and not have that part built back in. Thank you again for taking your time to comment!

If you are determined to try this, here is an idea. Contact a custom kitchen installer in your neighborhood and ask him to save you a few small pieces of laminate countertop that's left from a remodel. You could play with that at home, cut off the edge, do your granite treatment, see how it looks. If you don't wish to contact him you could always check the dumpster behind his business. LOL.

Formica counters are plastic veneers glued to particle board. If you cut it off, the edge will be rough wood. This can be sanded but with never be as smooth as the plastic. It will also be absorbent if it gets wet. That will make it bumpy and rough. It may get bumpy from the paint itself.

You should be able to get a strip of formica that can be heat sealed (ironed) to the cut edge of the counter at your home improvement store. Use a very fine saw blade. I haven't had the best luck in getting these to stick, though. At least it would be the same texture. Good luck!

Home and Garden Home Improvement Maintenance and RepairJuly 21, 2010
A nice kitchen with granite countertops and white cabinets.
Coordinating Granite Countertops With Kitchen Cabinets
painted formica countertops
Painting a Formica Countertop
Nice Countertops
Protecting Your Countertops
Tile Countertops
Installing Tile Countertops
🎄