Crispy Peanut Butter Chicken

I tried to replicate the crispy-coated chicken served in peanut butter sauce that was on the buffet at a local Chinese restaurant. Most peanut butter chicken recipes I found online were not crispy, or just didn't sound like what I was craving, so I experimented. This may seem unusual at first, but I find it very tasty. And, it is pretty quick to throw together with on-hand ingredients for when the craving hits!

• 1 lb. boneless chicken, cut into "fingers" (lengthwise strips)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 Tbsp. creamy peanut butter
  • 1 egg
  • salt and pepper
  • plain dry breadcrumbs and/or cornflake crumbs

For Sauce:

• 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
  • 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup water (or more if too thick)
  • 1 tsp. or so of honey (optional)

Mix milk, peanut butter, egg, salt and pepper until smooth. Add chicken "finger" pieces. Allow to soak for several minutes. Coat well with breadcrumbs and/or cornflake crumbs. Fry in shallow oil in heavy skillet until browned and chicken is done. Set aside until cooled enough to thinly slice, or leave chicken fingers whole for dipping.

For Sauce: Combine sauce ingredients in bowl or microwave safe measuring cup and heat in microwave for about 35 seconds. Stir, then heat additional 35 seconds. Add water a half teaspoon at a time if too thick, make thickness to your preference. Mix well and pour over sliced chicken, or dip chicken pieces in sauce.

Servings: 2 to 4
Time:5-10 Minutes Preparation Time
about 7 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: Experimentation in an attempt to recreate Chinese buffet food!

By Yodergoat from Paris, TN

My kids and I loved this recipe. The picture doesnt make it look too appetizing, but it is really delicious. My kids want it on a weekly basis, and they are very picky teenagers. Thanks!

Peanut Chicken on Blue Plate
Peanut Chicken Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes International ChineseSeptember 21, 2009
peanut butter bars with chocolate and bacon
Peanut Butter Bars Recipes
Making a Peanut Butter Snail
Making a Peanut Butter Snail
Jar of peanut butter surrounded by peanuts.
Homemade Peanut Butter Recipes
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume