Cleaning Patent Leather

I bought 8 pairs of patent leather shoes. There's glue around the tip of the shoe from when they were made; how can I get rid of it? I have already tried Zippo lighter fluid, vinegar, and eucalyptus oil. Nothing works. Thanks.

Damien from Milwaukee, WI

I don't know if this will work, but when I was a kid, patent leather was polished with a little vaseline and buffed. I'm thinking if you put some vaseline near the glue, and then put a shoe [for testing] in the freezer for an hour in a grocery plastic bag of course. Then take it out and using a soft rag [like old t-shirt piece] see if the glue hasn't raised a bit where you could shove the vaseline under the glue and softly work glue loose using vaseline.

Not sure if glue will raise up, but things freeze differently and I thought it might and you'd want something harmless and non scratchy to ease it off. There are things which take off glue, but I think they would take off patent finish as well, though nowadays patent finish is probably plastic, and baked on from the beginning. How noticeable and large is the glue?