Browsing: Cleaning Patent Leather Shoes

Cleaning Patent Leather

I bought 8 pairs of patent leather shoes. There's glue around the tip of the shoe from when they were made; how can I get rid of it? I have already tried Zippo lighter fluid, vinegar, and eucalyptus oil. Nothing works. Thanks.

Damien from Milwaukee, WI

Answers

I don't know if this will work, but when I was a kid, patent leather was polished with a little vaseline and buffed. I'm thinking if you put some vaseline near the glue, and then put a shoe [for testing] in the freezer for an hour in a grocery plastic bag of course. Then take it out and using a soft rag [like old t-shirt piece] see if the glue hasn't raised a bit where you could shove the vaseline under the glue and softly work glue loose using vaseline.

Not sure if glue will raise up, but things freeze differently and I thought it might and you'd want something harmless and non scratchy to ease it off. There are things which take off glue, but I think they would take off patent finish as well, though nowadays patent finish is probably plastic, and baked on from the beginning. How noticeable and large is the glue?

Patent Leather Shoes
Cleaning Patent Leather Shoes
Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing ShoesMarch 21, 2010
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Patent Leather Shoes
Removing Scuffs on Patent Leather
new leather chair
Smell from New Leather Furniture
An ink pen in a blue leather purse.
Removing Ink from Leather
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 11:08:01 AM on 10.0.1.53 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.