What is the best way to remove food from a grill grate? I heard something about putting it in a garbage bag with ammonia overnight.
John from Elmhurst
By John Bliss
By (Guest Post) 02/13/2009
When my husband cooks on the grill [after the food is cooked and taken off grill. He turns the grill on high for 10 to 15 minutes and the grill will burn off the burned food. Close the cover. Cathy from MA
IMHO 'NO' chemicals should be used on a grill grate. Just use a sturdy wire brush to scrape off the worst of the food buildup. You can find them in most grocery stores in the cleaning aid isle and in the isles of almost every store that sells BBQ's and BBQ utensils. The heat from firing up the grill will burn the rest off.
By Orv (Guest Post) 02/13/2009
I clean the grill immediately after removing the cooked food. I use a wire brush/scraper combo, followed by a fiber grill "scrubber" if needed. A hot grill is a lot easier to clean.
By crazyliblady (Guest Post) 02/14/2009
I don't like to use chemicals if at all possible, but if it is really bad and using a wire brush does not work, try oven cleaner. It is designed to remove greasy messes from an oven and also works on grills and burner pans.
Several have said using a wire brush. Not a good idea if it's a porcelain coated grate. Of course if you've already done it in the past, no need to worry about scratching the finish now....
Use the high flame setting & the cover down to burn it off OR I'll trade some chemical use for the extra propane you need to do that.
I use easyoff, but not very much at all, and a garbage bag so the grate can be sprayed and then laid flat for a few hours to let the cleaner work. I usually set it in a sunny are too! Then I rinse and wash with dish soap several times.
By Shari from Greer (Guest Post) 02/15/2009
This one is chemical free, fast and EASY ! Just wrap the grill with aluminum foil, turn the grill on high, close it up, and leave it for 10 to 15 minutes. When the time is up you shut off the grill, open it up, and gently brush off the ash that is left behind.My DH thought that I was crazy when I first suggested this to him, now he wouldn't think of doing it any other way. Good grilling! Shari
Just burn it off with the grill on high for a few minutes and then use a grill friendly brush or scrubber. There are lots of different brushes for different types of grates.
By Lowell 07/19/2011
I use two different methods depending on how dirty the grill is. For light to medium recently cooked on grills I simply throw the grill in the grass overnight cook side down. The enzymes in the grass will work on the debris and chew it to a consistency that will allow for most of it to be wiped/hosed off. My daughter didn't believe me until she tried it. The other, for dirty burnt on grills, I put on rubber gloves and spray the grills well with oven cleaner, place them in a heavy duty garbage bag tied tightly on the open end and leave them outside in the sunlight for most of the day. The internal heat in the bag with the oven cleaner is just like overnight cleaning of your oven and works equally as well. If your grills are hideously dirty, burnt on and really this side of being replaced, check the phone book for a local steam cleaner.