Painting a Kitchen With Oak Cabinets

I want to paint my kitchen walls that are currently white. The white shows all the cooking grease and my son's finger tips on the ceiling from him jumping up in the air and touching the ceiling. My cabinets are a oak wood, I also don't know if the paint should be flat or semi-gloss. Please help.

By Delicia from Chicago, IL

If your son has to jump to touch the ceiling, that isn't so bad, I have a 23 year old grandson that can touch average height ceilings, standing flat on the floor, and this is with his elbows bent. I have no advice on remodeling your kitchen, other than for the counter tops I saw a show once on HGTV where they painted counter tops to look like granite. It was several steps, and being I can't paint anything in my apartment, I didn't pay that much attention, but I'm sure if you would ask someplace like Lowe's or Home Depot they could give you advice on what to use and how to do it.

NEVER use flat paint in a kitchen. Semi-gloss is the usual. Even for the ceiling. You need the surface to be washable. Flat paint is like a chalkboard and will absorb grease and steam from cooking in the air.

For color there is a lot more to consider. There are three common colors of finish on oak cabinets. Which do you have? What color is the floor? What color are other rooms that are visible from the kitchen? The beauty of natural wood is that it will go with just about any color.

Pick out colors that appeal to you and put a dozen or more paint color samples on the wall. Every day as you look at them some will become less attractive and others will stand out. I have surprised myself by finding something I liked better than what I thought I wanted!

Red wallpaper is nice!

Paint chips on a kitchen blueprint.
Kitchen Paint Color Advice
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceApril 6, 2010
Gallon paint cans with several different colors and had holding paint color sample strips
Kitchen Paint Color Advice for Dark Green Counter Tops
Group of people holding painting supplies and samples in a white kitchen
What Color Should I Paint My Kitchen Walls?
Wood cabinet doors ready to be painted.
Painting Wood Cabinets
Cleaning yellow stains on cabinets.
Cleaning Kitchen Cabinets
🎉
🎄