Rotten Smell in House

We have a rotten smell in our house that I can't get rid of. No matter how much I clean, it doesn't help. Does anyone know what I can do to eliminate the smell?

By hoju83 from Otwell, IN

I am not saying this is the cause of the smell in your house but it may be one of many answers. It could be that a mouse has gotten into the walls and died. If that is the case,eventually the smell will disappear. In the meantime use air fresheners.

I had a terrible, terrible smell in my house one time and thought some type of rodent had gotten inside and died. Come to find out, a potato has rolled out of the bag and into the back of our pantry. It rotted and smelled up the whole, entire house! Good luck finding that smell.

One of my friends recently found some standing water in her basement. We still don't know how it got in this one little spot but it did make that room smell. Is there any way you have water standing? My friend found it by accident under a plastic basket, thankfully nothing was ruined. Anyways, look for water or, like above, rotting food. Look in small or hidden places. Hope this helped. I hope you find the stinker soon.

Try checking all your drains; especially floor drains. If there is not much use, it will sometimes allow sewer gas to back up through them, and that smells awful. Flush well with water and repeat as often as you need to remove the sewer gas smell. D

Don't know if this'll apply to you, but we had that problem once; we had gas heat and were worried that there might be a gas leak in the system.

When the gas company came out and checked the furnace, it turned out that a squirrel had fallen down the chimney vent and into the heating system--the smell was its decomposing body.

Agree with the other posters who think it may be a critter somewhere.

I need to know how to get rid of a rotten fish and rotten food smells from freezer part of fridge and from oven (Food is cooked and left there, people have moved ). someone said vanilla extract will remove the smell. Help.

We had the same smell. It ended up being the tray under our fridge that catches the water. We live in a rental and it appeared to never been cleaned out. Check there also. Good luck, hope you figure it out.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsApril 6, 2009
A woman holding her nose.
Locating the Source of a Foul Smell in House
A photo of a car.
Removing Rotten Food Odors From a Car
Storing Oranges, Canning Oranges, A bunch of bright round oranges.
Storing Oranges
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 20, 2016 at 3:15:57 PM on 10.0.0.197 in 989 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.