Removing Rotten Egg Smell from Household Water

Category Plumbing
This is a guide about removing rotten egg smell from household water. A strong suffer smell can make using some well water unpleasant.

Is there a system that will remove the rotten egg smell from all of the water that comes into your house?

By James

Answers

Best Answer

IF you are on well water you only need add about a 1/2 cup of bleach or so to your well at the well head and it will take care of the smell. Just do it as often as you need to. Might have your well head checked also - stuff may be growing at the top and can be taken care of by any well manager.

Best Answer

Hi - If you are on well water(?) it may possibly be that you have what is called "sulfur water" so the smell would actually be in your water. How does your water taste?

I understand there are water conditioners that will help this but will be expensive to buy and install (not for a renter!).

I'm visiting a friend who lives in a house with well water that smells like rotten eggs or sulphur. Whenever I've visited in the past, I've tried to tolerate the odor, however it's now to the point that I can't even visit because of the strong smell, and the feeling that I have the same odor after bathing or washing my clothes.

I'm sure it's a problem with either her well or hot water heater, however she says they've gotten used it. I only visit occasionally so it's not like I can fix whatever is creating the smelly water, however, I wondered if there is something I can add to my bathwater or washer to eliminate the rotten eggs smell.

Answers

Best Answer

Sulphur smell is caused by bacteria in either the well or hot water heater. This is unsafe, so don't drink it. Use bottled water while you stay.
For bathing or washing, try scented body wash. I would recommend a shower rather than a bath since you don't want to soak in this water.

Best Answer

Some of our family has the same problem. If they pour a little bit of bleach into the well head every so often it will definitely help with the smell. They should check with a well company to be sure it isn't something worse! We always gag when using their water, but this helps tremendously when they do DO it!