Temporary Fix for Rotten Egg Smelling Water?

I'm visiting a friend who lives in a house with well water that smells like rotten eggs or sulphur. Whenever I've visited in the past, I've tried to tolerate the odor, however it's now to the point that I can't even visit because of the strong smell, and the feeling that I have the same odor after bathing or washing my clothes.

I'm sure it's a problem with either her well or hot water heater, however she says they've gotten used it. I only visit occasionally so it's not like I can fix whatever is creating the smelly water, however, I wondered if there is something I can add to my bathwater or washer to eliminate the rotten eggs smell.

Best Answer

Sulphur smell is caused by bacteria in either the well or hot water heater. This is unsafe, so don't drink it. Use bottled water while you stay.
For bathing or washing, try scented body wash. I would recommend a shower rather than a bath since you don't want to soak in this water.

Thanks so much for a quick response. I'll definitely take your advice.

Best Answer

Some of our family has the same problem. If they pour a little bit of bleach into the well head every so often it will definitely help with the smell.

They should check with a well company to be sure it isn't something worse! We always gag when using their water, but this helps tremendously when they do DO it!

Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceMay 26, 2016
🌻
🐛
📓
😎
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Temporary-Fix-for-Rotten-Egg-Smelling-Water.html