Ideas for No-sew Curtains or Roman Shades

I need to make 7 sets of "no sew" roman shades. Can someone give me some help?

By lakinder from Pittsburgh, PA

There is going to have to be some sewing, for the hems. Of course for that you can purchase an iron on fusing that is about 1/2 inch wide, that can be used for hemming items. I don't know if you can buy the kits any more to make actual roman shade part, and I don't know how they work. From what I have heard the kits included everything you need, other than the actual fabric. I also don't know if the kits required any sewing. You could probably google "how to make roman shade without sewing" and see what you come up with.

By no-sew I assume something using iron on tapes with the pull threads already attached. I would think the kits would have instructions, but for good measure I'd check the store where you buy the kits for a good book on sewing for the home/sewing window treatments, or better yet [for your budget] the local library.

If you know nothing about sewing, ask the ladies where you buy the fabric how to make sure you are folding on the grain. If you don't get the edges

of cloth squared, and exact, you are wasting your time, you money and your fabric. If you need to have hems[you will], you have to get them exact. Two inch folded in means 2 inches all along the fold, exactly.

BUT, if the fabric is off cut a little, you need to know how to pull a thread to see the true straight line to measure from. So google something about grain of fabric, true grain, how to find, etc...

You can use fuseable iron-on tape to fuse the hem down, but if it's not square, your curtains will be skewed. That's probably the most important thing making something like that. Measure, measure, and measure again. No wrinkles in the fabric, you might have to work on the floor and if you have small children, watch out for pins, etc.

Why don't you write back and tell us how much experience you've had working with fabric. It can be done, but do the smallest shades first to work out the bugs.

Download Roman Shade kit-good luck.

I don't know if you still need this pattern, but you can find it either on or, pretty sure it is the hgtv site. Just go to search area and type in roman shades and it will come up.

March 21, 2010 Flag

Does anyone have any ideas for no-sew curtains and Roman shades?

Deanne from Cumming, GA

I don't know about Roman shades, but for the no-sew part, there is tape that you can buy at a fabric/craft store. For my kid's rooms, I just bought some fun fabric 1.5 times the width of the window, cut it in half, folded the edges up so as not to have raw edges, and used the fabric tape. I think there is also some available to you have to iron and I know they also have fabric glue. These drapes I made for my kid's rooms were so simple and very cheap and so we can change them out for not much money at all. (01/18/2008)

By imama2many

For my kitchen windows, I simply use cute dish towels and clip on "cafe" style metal curtain rings that slide over the tension rod, a lot like a shower curtain. It doesn't hurt the towels, so they can be reused and you can change them whenever you like to change the room. (01/18/2008)

By bailegirl

I know several people who use twin flat sheets as panel curtains. Just put the rod through the top hem. (01/22/2008)

By WClark33

When my first granddaughter was born almost 11 years ago, I made curtains to divide her room (formerly a huge unused dining room) from the rest of the house. I got some cute kids' material at Walmart, cut it into panels then used iron on fusible webbing to do the hems, so easy. We recently discovered those curtains when my daughter was going through her hope chest of "important things to keep" and she passed them down to my son and his wife who are expecting their first child (a boy) any day now.

God Bless.
Sheila in Titusville, FL (01/24/2008)

By GrammySheila

I have never seen these, but designed them myself. I was going to use heavy fabric for myself to form a insulated curtain for winter. For something that would remind you of Roman shades, cut fabric about 4 inches longer than your window, and about 2 inches wider. Make a casing on top and bottom either using a fusion iron-on tape or have a friend sew it. You could even stitch it by hand. Turn the fabric over along the long sides so curtain will be width of window.

Now, purchase two tension rods at dollar store or Walmart and put tension rods in top and bottom casing, put inside of window frame. When you want closed curtains, have second tension rod at bottom. Want curtain up? just adjust tension rod upward, and have curtain drape over it. I suppose for a true Roman shade, you could add a third tension rod and place accordingly. (01/25/2008)

By WIsgal

Go to and search for "window jewels", they are made out of vinyl wallpaper and tape. They look awesome. (09/05/2008)

By popeyesgal

Orange Curtains
Making No-Sew Curtains or Shades
Crafts Home DecorMarch 21, 2010
Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains
Roman Blinds
Changing the Color of Roman Blinds
Measuring Windows for New Curtains, Gold colored curtains and white sheers hanging on a wondow.
Measuring Windows for New Curtains
Installing Roman Shades
Finding Window Hardware for Roman Shades