Ideas for No-sew Curtains or Roman Shades

Does anyone have any ideas for no-sew curtains and Roman shades?

Deanne from Cumming, GA

Answers:

I don't know about Roman shades, but for the no-sew part, there is tape that you can buy at a fabric/craft store. For my kid's rooms, I just bought some fun fabric 1.5 times the width of the window, cut it in half, folded the edges up so as not to have raw edges, and used the fabric tape. I think there is also some available to you have to iron and I know they also have fabric glue. These drapes I made for my kid's rooms were so simple and very cheap and so we can change them out for not much money at all. (01/18/2008)

By imama2many

For my kitchen windows, I simply use cute dish towels and clip on "cafe" style metal curtain rings that slide over the tension rod, a lot like a shower curtain. It doesn't hurt the towels, so they can be reused and you can change them whenever you like to change the room. (01/18/2008)

By bailegirl

I know several people who use twin flat sheets as panel curtains. Just put the rod through the top hem. (01/22/2008)

By WClark33

When my first granddaughter was born almost 11 years ago, I made curtains to divide her room (formerly a huge unused dining room) from the rest of the house. I got some cute kids' material at Walmart, cut it into panels then used iron on fusible webbing to do the hems, so easy. We recently discovered those curtains when my daughter was going through her hope chest of "important things to keep" and she passed them down to my son and his wife who are expecting their first child (a boy) any day now.

God Bless.
Sheila in Titusville, FL (01/24/2008)

By GrammySheila

I have never seen these, but designed them myself. I was going to use heavy fabric for myself to form a insulated curtain for winter. For something that would remind you of Roman shades, cut fabric about 4 inches longer than your window, and about 2 inches wider. Make a casing on top and bottom either using a fusion iron-on tape or have a friend sew it. You could even stitch it by hand. Turn the fabric over along the long sides so curtain will be width of window.

Now, purchase two tension rods at dollar store or Walmart and put tension rods in top and bottom casing, put inside of window frame. When you want closed curtains, have second tension rod at bottom. Want curtain up? just adjust tension rod upward, and have curtain drape over it. I suppose for a true Roman shade, you could add a third tension rod and place accordingly. (01/25/2008)

By WIsgal

Go to ratemyspace.com and search for "window jewels", they are made out of vinyl wallpaper and tape. They look awesome. (09/05/2008)

By popeyesgal