Ideas for No-sew Curtains or Roman Shades

I need to make 7 sets of "no sew" roman shades. Can someone give me some help?

By lakinder from Pittsburgh, PA

There is going to have to be some sewing, for the hems. Of course for that you can purchase an iron on fusing that is about 1/2 inch wide, that can be used for hemming items. I don't know if you can buy the kits any more to make actual roman shade part, and I don't know how they work. From what I have heard the kits included everything you need, other than the actual fabric. I also don't know if the kits required any sewing. You could probably google "how to make roman shade without sewing" and see what you come up with.

By no-sew I assume something using iron on tapes with the pull threads already attached. I would think the kits would have instructions, but for good measure I'd check the store where you buy the kits for a good book on sewing for the home/sewing window treatments, or better yet [for your budget] the local library.

If you know nothing about sewing, ask the ladies where you buy the fabric how to make sure you are folding on the grain. If you don't get the edges
of cloth squared, and exact, you are wasting your time, you money and your fabric. If you need to have hems[you will], you have to get them exact. Two inch folded in means 2 inches all along the fold, exactly.
BUT, if the fabric is off cut a little, you need to know how to pull a thread to see the true straight line to measure from. So google something about grain of fabric, true grain, how to find, etc...

You can use fuseable iron-on tape to fuse the hem down, but if it's not square, your curtains will be skewed. That's probably the most important thing making something like that. Measure, measure, and measure again. No wrinkles in the fabric, you might have to work on the floor and if you have small children, watch out for pins, etc.

Why don't you write back and tell us how much experience you've had working with fabric. It can be done, but do the smallest shades first to work out the bugs.

Download Roman Shade kit-good luck.

I don't know if you still need this pattern, but you can find it either on DIY.com or HGTV.com, pretty sure it is the hgtv site. Just go to search area and type in roman shades and it will come up.