Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Eliminating Diaper Pail Odor

Instead of having a stinky diaper pail in my son's room, I use plastic grocery bags stuffed into empty 12 pack soda "fridge packs" and slide the whole thing under the changing table. I hang the bags by the handles off of the Diaper Depot. I use one bag for three or four wet diapers, but for stinky diapers, I just toss them in and tie the bag off. They get thrown out with the daily trash. I am reusing the grocery bags and the cardboard containers and I don't have to worry about stinky diapers. You can get creative and cover the boxes with leftover wrapping paper if you want.

By Angelica from Birmingham, AL

Recent Feedback

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By OliveOyl06/21/2010

When you have a diaper with solid waste in it, shake off the solid material into the toilet (if possible) and flush. This eliminates much odor.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Eliminating Diaper Pail Odor

Help me eliminate diaper pail odor without replacing the pail.

Shelly from Laurel, MT

RE: Eliminating Diaper Pail Odor

Years ago someone told me that crumpled newspaper and baking soda absorbs diaper pail odor better than anything. I think she put layers of newspapers in the pail and sprinkled some baking soda between each layer. Then she put the top on and let it sit a few days. (02/19/2008)

By perfume and powder

RE: Eliminating Diaper Pail Odor

If you are using cloth diapers, as I would think since you specifically said "diaper pail", I would suggest keeping a solution of water and borax in the pail as it not only neutralizes the ammonia smell, but serves as a soak or "pre-wash" for the diapers. As long as you have rinsed the soiled ones before placing them in the pail, all you have to do is empty the pail -- solution, diapers and all into the washer when you are ready to wash them. Then rinse and dry your pail, refill with solution, (maybe about 1/3 full or a little less) and start all over again.

If you're using disposables, there is really nothing better than a "diaper genie" as it automatically seals off each diaper, and effectively seals in the odors. Trust me, worth the expense! :) Also, look at thrift stores, or see if your friend or realtive that recently potty-trained their child might "donate" theirs! If you get one used, just be sure that you clean it well with bleach-water solution. Then, you still might want to use a lysol-like spray to kill the germs on top as you use it. (02/19/2008)

By bailegirl

RE: Eliminating Diaper Pail Odor

I am assuming that you use cloth diapers?? Wash it out really well and then let it sit out in the sunshine for a day, even if it's cold, let it get some sun. After that always keep baking soda in your water. (02/19/2008)

By Back2basics

RE: Eliminating Diaper Pail Odor

Soap and vinegar? It works for urine soaked laundry. (02/19/2008)

By STR8LADYA

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to post feedback.