Eliminating Diaper Pail Odor

Instead of having a stinky diaper pail in my son's room, I use plastic grocery bags stuffed into empty 12 pack soda "fridge packs" and slide the whole thing under the changing table. I hang the bags by the handles off of the Diaper Depot. I use one bag for three or four wet diapers, but for stinky diapers, I just toss them in and tie the bag off. They get thrown out with the daily trash. I am reusing the grocery bags and the cardboard containers and I don't have to worry about stinky diapers. You can get creative and cover the boxes with leftover wrapping paper if you want.

By Angelica from Birmingham, AL

By OliveOyl 602 Flag

When you have a diaper with solid waste in it, shake off the solid material into the toilet (if possible) and flush. This eliminates much odor.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Eliminating Diaper Pail Odor

Help me eliminate diaper pail odor without replacing the pail.

Shelly from Laurel, MT

Feedback:

RE: Eliminating Diaper Pail Odor

Years ago someone told me that crumpled newspaper and baking soda absorbs diaper pail odor better than anything. I think she put layers of newspapers in the pail and sprinkled some baking soda between each layer. Then she put the top on and let it sit a few days. (02/19/2008)

By perfume and powder

RE: Eliminating Diaper Pail Odor

If you are using cloth diapers, as I would think since you specifically said "diaper pail", I would suggest keeping a solution of water and borax in the pail as it not only neutralizes the ammonia smell, but serves as a soak or "pre-wash" for the diapers. As long as you have rinsed the soiled ones before placing them in the pail, all you have to do is empty the pail -- solution, diapers and all into the washer when you are ready to wash them. Then rinse and dry your pail, refill with solution, (maybe about 1/3 full or a little less) and start all over again.

If you're using disposables, there is really nothing better than a "diaper genie" as it automatically seals off each diaper, and effectively seals in the odors. Trust me, worth the expense! :) Also, look at thrift stores, or see if your friend or realtive that recently potty-trained their child might "donate" theirs! If you get one used, just be sure that you clean it well with bleach-water solution. Then, you still might want to use a lysol-like spray to kill the germs on top as you use it. (02/19/2008)

By bailegirl

RE: Eliminating Diaper Pail Odor

I am assuming that you use cloth diapers?? Wash it out really well and then let it sit out in the sunshine for a day, even if it's cold, let it get some sun. After that always keep baking soda in your water. (02/19/2008)

By Back2basics

RE: Eliminating Diaper Pail Odor

Soap and vinegar? It works for urine soaked laundry. (02/19/2008)

By STR8LADYA

Used Diaper
Reducing Disposible Diaper Pail Odors
Next
Parenting Baby AdviceJune 21, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Used Diaper
Reducing Disposible Diaper Pail Odors
Odor Eliminator
Odor Eliminator Product Reviews
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 7:52:32 AM on 10.0.2.64 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings