Reducing Disposible Diaper Pail Odors

Category Odors
Even with disposable diapers, there is going to be the infamous diaper pail odor to deal with. Thankfully there are ways to help reduce the odor. This is a guide about reducing disposable diaper pail odors.

When disposing of dirty diapers, use zip lock bags. Some baby wipe packages are resealable, save these for disposing of diapers also. You can recycle the bags this way. It also makes for a odor free home.

By Carissa from Ohio

If have a baby, you have dirty diapers that can smell quite bad. My daughter had two in diapers at once and you never smelled dirty diapers in her house or trash.

Use plastic grocery bags. Put the diaper in the corner and twist. Pull the excess up and around and twist again, and repeat! You can do it up to 3 times then tie the bag. It's the same as having it in 3 bags, no smell

By Dottie from Republic, MI

Now that I am through with diapers, I will share one tip. I couldn't always run stinky diapers to the trash outside, so I bought doggy poop bags (the kind you take with you on a walk to clean up after your dog). They were a penny each, the right size for 1 diaper to be tied up.

Our trash is composted, including diapers - even poopy ones. But this keeps the smell contained. I did daycare many years in-between my kids and grandchildren. This was cheap and fantastic.

By Grandma J from Benson MN

When my wife and I had our first baby, we put a Diaper Genie on on baby shower want list. And we GOT it, but we found out with our second and third child that those bags from the grocery store did just as well as "diaper containment restraint fields" (We were Trekies). Drop the diaper in and the wipes used to clean up the deed and then tie the puppy tight to contain the odiferous concoction. Dispose of with distaste in the nearest refuse bin.

By Suntydt from Tazewell, TN

Working in a nursery caring for babies, there are times when a bag is needed for dirty diapers or soiled clothing. Instead of buying the deodorized bags, a plastic grocery bag or plastic vegetable bag can be used.

Instead of having a stinky diaper pail in my son's room, I use plastic grocery bags stuffed into empty 12 pack soda "fridge packs" and slide the whole thing under the changing table. I hang the bags by the handles off of the Diaper Depot.

This for all parents, caregivers etc. of infants/toddlers in diapers. Before putting smelling diapers in trash use a bread sack/plastic bags to wrap them in.

We use this in my room at work. I care for infants. Somedays 9 or 10. We even use bags for the urine diapers. Makes a big difference. By Starla

Help me eliminate diaper pail odor without replacing the pail.

Shelly from Laurel, MT

Answers:

Eliminating Diaper Pail Odor

Years ago someone told me that crumpled newspaper and baking soda absorbs diaper pail odor better than anything. I think she put layers of newspapers in the pail and sprinkled some baking soda between each layer. Then she put the top on and let it sit a few days. (02/19/2008)

By joan pecsek

Eliminating Diaper Pail Odor

If you are using cloth diapers, as I would think since you specifically said "diaper pail", I would suggest keeping a solution of water and borax in the pail as it not only neutralizes the ammonia smell, but serves as a soak or "pre-wash" for the diapers. As long as you have rinsed the soiled ones before placing them in the pail, all you have to do is empty the pail -- solution, diapers and all into the washer when you are ready to wash them. Then rinse and dry your pail, refill with solution, (maybe about 1/3 full or a little less) and start all over again.

If you're using disposables, there is really nothing better than a "diaper genie" as it automatically seals off each diaper, and effectively seals in the odors.

Trust me, worth the expense! :) Also, look at thrift stores, or see if your friend or realtive that recently potty-trained their child might "donate" theirs! If you get one used, just be sure that you clean it well with bleach-water solution. Then, you still might want to use a lysol-like spray to kill the germs on top as you use it. (02/19/2008)

By bailegirl

Eliminating Diaper Pail Odor

I am assuming that you use cloth diapers?? Wash it out really well and then let it sit out in the sunshine for a day, even if it's cold, let it get some sun. After that always keep baking soda in your water. (02/19/2008)

By Melissa

Eliminating Diaper Pail Odor

Soap and vinegar? It works for urine soaked laundry. (02/19/2008)

By ANDREA STRICKLAND