Hair Bows for Little Princesses

Expensive to buy - Easy to make! Hair Bows for little princesses!

My granddaughter, now three years old, is getting hair long enough to wear up and, I must admit, I dearly love to fix it when I babysit while Mommy works. I priced the nice big bows in stores and they are really expensive to buy. How much better it would be to make my own and get more for the money spent.

I purchased 1 1/2 yards each of two kinds of grosgrain ribbon. It has a nice stiffness and makes prettier bows than satin ribbon.

To begin, I cut two 8 inch strips for the bottom loops on a double bow. Bring the ends of the strip to the center to make two loops. If it is printed, make sure you fold it printed side up. With a needle and thread, begin sewing the ribbon in the center of the loops, from the underneath part of the ribbon (straight up!).

Once your thread is through the ribbon, secure the loops by catching the side of the loop and taking your needle back up through the middle pulling tightly so that it gathers the loop to make it thin in the center.

Then go to the opposite side of the loop and wrap your thread around "both sides" tightly and take the needle down through the middle. I suggest doing this at least 3-4 times to make your loops for the bow.

Remember, the tighter the thread is wrapped and sewn the prettier bow they will make. Make two of these. Once they are made, hold the sewn loop strips side by side in your hand, to make what looks like an "X" shape. Now join the two together by wrapping the thread around them both and sewing through the middle to secure them.

For the second row of loops, repeat the same process, but cut your loop strips you are going to make 6 inches long so that they will make smaller sized loops. Once these are made, lay them on top of the bottom part of the bow. Repeat the thread wrapping, securing all 4 together.

Once this is assembled, sew down through the layers to secure your bow. To finish, cut a strip long enough to wrap around the completed bow. It looks better if you fold it in half so it will be thinner before sewing to the back of the bow.

These hair bows can be hot-glued on a flat hair clip or sewn on a clip if glue is not available. Most department stores sell the two-pronged hair clips you squeeze.

I hope my directions are clear enough. This is a little difficult to explain. I was so excited about my new accomplishment that I couldn't wait to share the news!

By Sharon from Ravenna, KY

Sorry, I guess I'm too dense to understand these convoluted "instructions". Pics of what is going on really would be beneficial!

I didn't find your directions to be "convoluted" and understood them perfectly. I didn't realize those pretty bows are so easy to make. Thanks for the amount of ribbon as well.

Sharon,

Your directions are excellent. Thanks!

Hi,

I know some hair bows shops can be unreal in their pricing. I have a website http://creativesidebows.com/

and I have lots of hair bows that start at just $2.50! (the bow in the picture is $2.50) Some are even less than that. I even give a FREE hair bow with a purchase of just $15. I have 3 kids and I know how mom's like me try to stretch their dollar as far as possible!

Homemade Hair Bows
Homemade Hair Bows
Crafts Bath & BeautyMay 14, 2008
Crocheted Holiday Hair Bow
Making a Crocheted Holiday Hair Bow
Making a Fabric Bow
Making a Fabric Bow
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎉
🎄