Mia (German Shepherd)

Mia is a 10 year old German Shepherd. We adopted her when she was 7 weeks old. Her mom and siblings were living in an awful state. My husband accompanied his cousin to see Mia's sister, Bailey (who sadly, was run over by a tractor 6 weeks later) and couldn't resist bringing her home to me. He knows I'm an old softy!

She likes to be with me all the time wherever I am. Mia was feeling very sorry for herself in this photo as she had just had a stroke two days earlier. Thankfully she has made a complete recovery and we're hoping she's be with us for some time to come!

By EVickers from Leicester, England

What a beautiful child. She looks so young and precious. You did know that for stroke, she could use a baby aspirin daily.

She's a very beautiful dog! May she live a long long happy life! (Kato and I think GSDs are the greatest) A note regarding the baby aspirin. I just had Kato in to see the vet (Kato's a 12 & 1/2 y.o. long haired GSD) and asked about giving him aspirin. The vet said that they used to recommend it ( I gave it to another shepherd I had) but now they don't as they found it was hard on the liver and kidneys. They now recommend a drug made especially for canines called Previcox.

I hope sweet Mia is feeling much better. I have a GSD female, and I have had GSD's for many years. I have never had one that had a stroke. My vet said the only pain med to give a dog other than prescripbed med is 'buffered aspirin,' nothing else. Other things are very harmful. I hope you take Mia for a walk every day. She would enjoy the exercise and the time with you. Of course, your vet should be consulted about everything since she had her stroke. Treasure her because she is a treasure.

German Shepherd
German Shepherd - Breed Information and Photos
Photos Pets DogsNovember 13, 2009
Shepherd's Pie Recipes, A classic mash potato topped shepaherd's pie.
Shepherd's Pie Recipes
Caesar (Siberian Husky and German Shepherd Mix)
Siberian Husky - German Shepherd Mix Info and Photos
German Shepherd Mix
German Shepherd Mix Breed Information and Photos
Skinny German Shepherd Laying Down
Skinny German Shepherd