German Shepherd - Breed Information and Photos

These popular large dogs are intelligent and known for helping mankind in many ways. This page contains German Shepherd - breed information and photos.

Breed Description: This strong, courageous dog is one of the most popular breeds in the world. It possesses one of the keenest noses and highest degrees of intelligence in the dog world, making it suitable in almost any working capacity: herding, police work, guard dog or guide dog. The German Shepherd also makes a loving and faithful companion.

Group: Herding Group.

Purpose of Breed: Herding sheep

Country of Origin: Germany

Average Size: Ranges from 22-26 inches and 60-90 pounds depending on sex.

Color(s): Although their color may vary, German Shepherds are most commonly black, gray, and tan, many times with a black or dark-colored saddle.

Coat Type: Double coats of medium length hair. The outer coat consists of dense, straight hair that lays flat against the body. The hair length is somewhat shorter on the head and legs than on the rest of the body.

Grooming: Daily brushing is required to keep this breed's coat in top condition, however bathing is needed usually only a few times per year. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads, and nails.

Exercise Needs: German Shepherds are a large, highly intelligent breed that needs frequent exercise and mental stimulation to maintain optimal health. They adapt well to indoor living, but need daily exercise and a house with a fenced yard.

Temperament: This breed is highly intelligent and territorial, and makes a faithful and devoted companion. If properly trained and handled, the German Shepherd fits well within a family circle as a loyal and obedient companion. Initially suspicious of strangers, the multi-talented German Shepherd makes an excellent watchdog. This breed bonds deeply and does not like to be separated from his owner.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to bloat, skin disease, congenital heart problems, and hip dysplasia.

Life Expectancy: Averages 10-12 years.

Trivia: The famous dog "Rin Tin Tin" was a German Shepherd.

More Information: German Shepherd Dog Club of America

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

Oona is 11 1/2 years old. She German Shepherd. My husband surprised me with Oona when she was only 8 weeks old. She used to love for my husband to sing to her and to keep us company sitting on the couch (naughty I know!)

Oona has a brain tumor and unfortunately is going to have to be euthanised this week. The photo is of her before she became ill. We are absolutely heartbroken to be losing her. She has been our best friend for more than 11 years and we will miss her desperately. We have made arrangements for her ashes to be returned to us so that we can bury her in our back garden, underneath the dog roses (appropriate, we thought).

By ERIN VICKERS from England

Closeup of Shepherd.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 18

Scarlet is three and a half year old sable coloured, long haired German Shepherd, and Delilah is an eleven years old black and tan, long haired German Shepherd. We bought Delilah in 2000 from a breeder who also breeds German Shepherds who are trained by the Victorian Police Department as tracking dogs. I bought Scarlet from another breeder when she was just eight weeks old, in 2008.

As we live in a rural area, they love to chase the rabbits until they disappear down their rabbit holes at the lake near our house. Scarlet loves to drive poor Delilah mad chasing her around and around the apricot and plum trees in the back yard until they both drop from exhaustion in the middle of the lounge room floor and have a sleep! It happens every night, right after they have their dinners!

They have such wonderful personalities and I often say that then not only read my mind, they control it! I never leave home without both of my dogs and if I can't take them wherever I'm going, I don't go. They adore my grandchildren and are very, very gentle and patient with them. They are also very protective of them.

Both Scarlet and Delilah are well known around my town, as it is only a small town of a little over 1,500 people. They take a lot of maintenance and grooming, but the love they return is worth every cent and every second spent on them.

By Lynn D.

Comment Like this photo? 27

Mia is a 10 year old German Shepherd. We adopted her when she was 7 weeks old. Her mom and siblings were living in an awful state.

My husband accompanied his cousin to see Mia's sister, Bailey and couldn't resist bringing her home to me.

Comment Like this photo? 10

Hunter is 3 years old and is a German Shepherd. I got him in August of 2003 from Hidden Springs German Shepherds out of Eugene Oregon

Hunter (German Shepherd)

Comment Like this photo? 2

Sunny is a 7 year old German Shepard. We got her from a pet store. She likes to play with our kids. She is so the best pet ever!

Comment Like this photo? 20

Zues is 2 years and 8 months old. He is a full bred German Shepard. Zues was a birthday gift for me from a friend. He loves to run in the backyard and go for walks. He is the nicest, most calm German Shepard I have ever known.

Comment Like this photo? 10

Nala is a four year old German Shepard. We got her two years ago from my husband's boss who was going to transfer overseas.

Comment Like this photo? Yes

I went to Erie Pennsylvania and bought Tiger from breeders. Abbie we bought from breeders in West Virginia. They like to play outside in the yard and they like to play fetch.

Tiger and Abbie (German Shepherd)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

I bought Maile from a well renowned breeder in Washington, specializing in working dogs.

Maile with shoulder bags.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

I got him from a rescue mission, 2 years ago.

Lying in an armchair.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 2

Cerebus is a 6 year old pure bred German Shepard. My family adopted Cerebus from our local animal shelter two years ago, in the month of June.

Comment Like this photo? 7

"What are we waiting for " Kafka loves to ride in the car, and we leave the back window open, even in cold weather as she loves to stick her head out the window!

Kafka (German Shepherd)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

This is my beloved pet, Koda. He is a two year old, male German Shepherd born in Hawaii. I adopted him from a rescue when he was little over a year old. If you want to have a well behaved, obedient and loving pet like mine, consistent training is the only way to do it.

Comment Like this photo? Yes

This is my 2 year old German Shepherd "Wim", holding down the couch. It's proof that a large dog can fit on the back of a sofa. He started doing this as a pup and never outgrew it!

Wim (German Shepherd)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

I adopted him. He likes to play tug of war.

Bono lying down

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

We got him a month ago. He had been very mistreated and the lady who had found him really did not want a big dog so my boyfriend said we would take him. Duke has greatly improved and is really starting to thrive.

light brown dog wearing sunglasses

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5
Load More

Pets Dogs Dog Breeds German ShepherdsJanuary 21, 2013
📓
😎
😷
🌻
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/German-Shepherd-Breed-Information-and-Photos.html