Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Drying Celery Leaves

Dried vegetables are a convenient, quick addition to many entrees. This guide is about drying celery leaves.

May 17, 2015 Flag

It is easy to dry your own celery flakes to be used in salads, tuna salads, or one of your favorite recipes.

I just strip the celery stalks of all the leaves and let them dry out thoroughly. They can be pulverized by hand and stored in a plastic bag.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 8, 2013 Flag

How do I dry them?

By Sherie from New Braunfels, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

February 13, 2011 Flag

When celery is real cheap, I buy several bunches to use when the price goes too high or I need some and don't have any fresh.

After washing the celery and letting it dry, I remove all the leaves. I put them, whole, on baking sheets lined with paper towels. I warm the oven on the lowest setting for about 8 minutes, then turn it off and put the baking sheets in. The oven isn't warm enough to harm the paper towels, but will help dry the leaves out. I rewarm the oven and stir the leaves around every few hours until the leaves are completely dry and brittle. I crumble them up and put them in jars.

They come in real handy when I want celery flavor without celery pieces in things like gravy, sauces and dips, and for making my own salt-free herb blends.

I slice the celery stalks up, blanch them 3 minutes, and let them drain. When they are dry, I freeze them in 1 cup portions in freezer bags.

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

Dry Your Own Celery Leaves

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes

You do not have to blanch the celery before you freeze it. I have frozen celery for years and never blanched it.

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

February 13, 2011 Flag

Instead of throwing away your leafy celery tops, make your own dry celery flakes to use for flavoring in cooking anything from soups to stuffing to omelets by drying and storing them. All you have to do is place on a baking sheet in your oven at 200 degrees F for a half hour to 45 minutes.

They also freeze very well. ;-)

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Answers:

Dry Your Own Celery Leaves

Back in the 1940's, my mother would put the celery leaves into a brown paper bag. Then she would hang the bag in the pantry to dry. Once dried, they were stored in air tight containers. This can be done with many herbs, mints, etc. (08/31/2009)

By jeannette1940

Dry Your Own Celery Leaves

What a great idea! I am going to try this right away!

Thanks, (01/27/2010)

By Donnakay/1hotgrannie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

See posts of using microwave to dry. I do this. There is a UTube video that shows this. Within a few minutes, you can have your batches ready for storage. Better color and flavor are retained.

Food and Recipes DryingAugust 10, 2012
Dried orange slices, bundle of cinnamon sticks, and cloves.
Drying Oranges
A pile of dried apple slices.
Drying Apples
Uses for Celery Leaves
Uses for Celery Leaves
Celery new growth
Growing Celery
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 18, 2017 at 2:22:43 PM on 10.0.0.162 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.