Caring for Itchy Ears With Lots of Wax

My ear is always itchy. When I scratch it, the inside makes a squeaky noise. I've cleaned them with a Q-Tip and there is a lot of wax, and there is always more. I've cleaned them so much, that eventually what seems to be blood appears on the end of the Q-Tip. I have no health insurance, and was wondering if anyone knew what this was, or if it was dangerous?

By James from Niles, MI

Try putting some olive oyl in your ear, that should relieve the itching. You should never use a q-tip in your ears. A young woman i worked with used them and had a bad ear ache from the cotton that had come off the q-tip. The doctor told her never to put them in your ears because they push the wax farther into the ear. Don't know what the bleeding is but it is not good. Never put anything in your ear smaller than your elbow.

I too suffer from bad ears but have after years of pain got mine from being so waxy. First always dry your ears with a swisted tissue to fit into your ear after every shower or swim. Second buy the 92% alcohol and with a q-tip wet it with alcohol and dap some into each ears 2 to 3 times a week to dry them out. 3rd, Nasal decongests pills will make the wax dry up so your jaw movement will cause the wax to work its way to the outer ear and can be removed without digging. The alcohol will make your ear stop itching too. 92% alcohol is strong so don't use it more than 2 to 3 times a week.

Take a dropper or just stop the bottle top with your thumb, so it drips one or two drops at a time of pure Hydrogen peroxide,let it bubble for a minute or two, turn your head over and let it drain out. Keep doing it over and over,and the peroxide will bubble the ear wax out from way, way down in your ear.Dry your ear well and repeat on the other side. This worked with my kids, and stopped the earaches,too.

You probably have allergies, these can make your ears itch - very annoying too.

We use an OTC chlortrimeton (WM has no name chlor tabs $3 for 100). It will take 12 hrs at most to get the pills into system (that would be 3 pills, 1 every 4 hrs). We have used these with high BP meds, numerous kinds of antidepressants, diabetes meds, anti psychotics etc = it was also the only thing I could take when I was pregnant.

Swimmers ear is from water getting in ear showers, swimming, rain etc.. Equal amounts of vinegar and alcohol, 3-4 drops in ear.

Wax build up (normal) perioxide is fine. Some one else already wrote about it & how to use.

Wax build up (heavy) this can also be because of irritation - Debrox this is an OTC wax softener.

Ear canal infection from irritation - ie: digging in there with Q tips, eventually you actually scratch the skin and abrade it. It can infect. (*My dd was horrible about this) This is where the allergy meds really helped - it reduced the itching which means less digging. Straight alcohol will burn like crazy, the vinegar/alcohol less so, little bit of olive oil will help the skin inside. Ria

Get a package of DEBROX at your drugstore. Drop the oil in your ear canal at bedtime. The next morning, flush the ear canal (bulb included). The wax should float out.

Never put a q-tip in your ear! I always dried my ears with a q-tip, until a very small thread of cotton was left inside and caused a tumor and an abscess inside the ear. I was screaming with pain! The tumor had to be removed surgically. My dr diagnosed eczema in the ear as the cause of the itching and prescribed ear drops. Since you do not have medical aid, maybe you could consult a clinic or a pharmacy. Good luck!

A woman with itchy ears.
Remedies for Itchy Ears
Health & Beauty AdviceFebruary 24, 2010
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Dog With Itchy Ears
Remedies for a Dog With Itchy Ears
Chihuahua puppy
Puppy's Ears Aren't Standing Up
Cleaning Candle Wax from Upholstery