Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dye Bled On Khaki Pants

I washed a pair of Khaki pants accidentally with a rust colored shirt. The shirt bled in splotches on the pants, how do I get it out?

Paige from AZ

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By OliveOyl06/09/2009

See if the khaki pants are colorfast--if they are, you can wash or soak them in bleach--diluted, of course. Turn the pants inside out and find an inconspicuous spot to test--a pocket or waistband. Put a teaspoon of bleach in 2 cups of water, then dab on some bleach solution on a spot and wait 2 minutes. If nothing happens to the khaki, it is colorfast. If the spot bleaches out it's not safe to bleach the entire garment.

By melissa stone [1]06/09/2009

A dry cleaners can get that out.

Here are questions related to Dye Bled On Khaki Pants.

Question: Shirt Dye Bled on Itself

My husband's white shirt is blended with red colour cloth. Please help me to remove the red colour from the white shirt as it is a new branded shirt.

By reshma

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Red Dye on Jeans

How can I remove red dye from jeans? LucyT from York

RE: Red Dye on Jeans

Is it actual dye or did something bleed onto them? I've had some luck soaking the item in hot water with a scoop of Oxiclean. (01/09/2007)

By apmacik

RE: Red Dye on Jeans

I put a cheap colored red beach towel in with jeans and some gray t-shirts. Everything is pink, UGH! I have re-washed several times and have not dried them and it won't budge. Thank you! (07/06/2007)

By Belinda

Archive: Red Dye on Khaki Jeans

I have khaki pants and red socks. (You can see it coming, right!) The socks went through washer and dryer attached to the pants. Is there a way to get that kind of stain out? Thanks! Karen from Portland, OR

RE: Red Dye on Khaki Jeans

RIT (the dye people) have something called "color remover"; I don't know if it would do it; but sure might be worth reading the package and seeing what they say? (08/26/2007)

By Jilson

RE: Red Dye on Khaki Jeans

I have not tried this myself but I have been told that hydrogen peroxide works for that. (08/27/2007)

By MartyD

RE: Red Dye on Khaki Jeans

By 'khaki', do you mean light tan or the green some people call khaki? If you mean the light tan, I have done the same thing-several times. Between me & my kids, it seems like we always have dye(red or blue), crayon or some other stain on our khakis. You can start with a weak solution of bleach water, lay the jeans flat & put the bleach water on the stain. If it doesn't go away in a few minutes, you can increase the bleach & try again. I only had a problem with one pair of pants, where the spot ended up a tiny bit lighter than the rest of the pants. I threw them in the wash cycle with soap & 1 c. bleach & they came out the same shade. I'm not usually so cautious anymore. I figure if I don't get the stain out, I can't do much to ruin them more. So I usually just use 1/2 bleach 1/2 water, or I just throw them in the washer with 3/4-1 c. bleach. You might want to start out with the minimal to be cautious though. And be careful not to ruin what you are wearing when you do this. (08/28/2007)

By lyonpridej