Freezing Foods Containing Mayonnaise

I made patties with leftover lobster salad (mayo included). I dipped the patties in bread crumbs, fried them, and then froze them. Will the mayo be OK after thawing since it was mixed with the lobster meat and celery?

Alice

Best Answer

Freezing the mayo technically wouldn't be unsafe, but from past experience (and Googling around), freezing mayo tends to separate it which leads to some taste and texture problems. You might find the patties to crumble or taste a little off.

(Your recipe sounds yummy, though!)

I, at one time, made a large macaroni salad for a party and was asked to bring something different. So I said I'm going to freeze this in margarine containers...down the road I forgot I had it and took it out, un-thawed it, and it was fine. So I have been freezing mac salad ever since.

Top view of a jar of mayonnaise with spoon
Freezing Foods Containing Mayonnaise
Food and Recipes Freezing AdviceSeptember 27, 2010
A pink piggy bank made from a plastic mayo bottle.
Mayonnaise Jar Piggy Bank
Sandwich with mayonnaise alternative.
Alternatives to Mayonnaise
Mayonnaise in dish with fresh basil leaves.
Fat Free Mayonnaise Recipes
Storing Mayonnaise
Storing Mayonnaise
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 17, 2017 at 4:34:57 PM on 10.0.0.67 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.