Remedies for Hair Loss in Dogs

Visit your veterinarian to determine the cause of your dog's hair loss. This is a guide about remedies for hair loss in dogs.

June 1, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about Dachshund losing hair. When your dog suffers hair loss, determining the cause is the first step to treatment.

Short haired dachshund getting his hair brushed

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 8, 2017 Flag

Cooper, my Golden, has begun to pull hair out beside his tail and along his tail. When the hair is pulled it reveals red, flakey, raw skin. Without the cone he can't stop himself from licking and pulling hair. This is the second time (he is 5) both in the last 6 months. Where he has healed the skin has turned black. The vet said it could be allergies or bug bites, but we're not sure. Drugs and creams didn't seem to improve the situation. I've been online and I am starting to think yeast. Any ideas of the cause or ideas to help heal? Thanks in advance!

The more severe pictures are of the first time and it took only 2 days. The other 2 that don't look as bad are current and on the opposite side.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I've been on the hunt for a better diet for him but it's tricky cause he has also been diagnosed with pancreatitis and so must have low fat. Foods that have low sugar and carbs seem to have too high of fat content. Ugh. I have started putting apple cider vinegar on his food as well as a probiotic powder to help if it's a systemic yeast infection.

The vet also (besides the antibiotics and steroids) gave us antibacterial wipes to clean the areas with before we put the anti fungal cream on. Sadly the cream makes him itchy where I put it (for about 10 mins after) so as much as we can he goes for a walk after the cream goes on to help distract from the itchy cream.

Since the first post he has also got to the inside of his hind leg (with a doughnut on) looks the same as the tail area. He now has a cone of shame on and can't get to it at all.

January 5, 2017 Flag

I have a question regarding my Staffy. He's losing hair behind his ears and now it looks like he's losing it round his eyes. He has to see the vet in two weeks, but I was just wondering what this could be and if there was anything I could do for him in the mean time?

Kind regards.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It is a common nickname for an American Staffordshire Terrier, similar to "Yorkie" being used for a Yorkshire Terrier.

May 25, 2016 Flag

My 5 month old Pit/Lab mix is losing patches of fur. It started with a patch on his head and we just figured he had scrapped it on something in the yard. But it's been a month or two and now that the fleas are coming around he is scratching way more than the other dogs, and he's making the hair loss worse.

Our other dogs are perfectly fine, they all eat the same food, and I can't afford a vet at the moment. He is happy and healthy aside from the patches. I've looked up mange and allergy symptoms and what you can buy to help, but like I said, finances are tight, so if there is a home remedy that I can use in the mean time, I'd like to know what is safe. He has such pretty fur. I'd hate for him to lose it all.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Fish oil to put the oil back in the coat and front line spray for the house and pet front line has an igr insect growth repellent its birth control for fleas helps you be one step ahead. Treat your yard as well they have sprays like cutters for fleas and ticks good luck

October 18, 2010 Flag

Why is my 15 month old Lurcher bitch losing hair on her front and rear legs? She has also started to lick her legs, no other part of her body is affected by this.

By rainbow1972 from England

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

It's possible that your dog has food allergies. My dog loses hair if I feed her certain dog foods. I was making all her dog food last winter, but I quit doing that for the summer. Right now, I'm giving her an all natural dog food and she's doing very well, but the food is expensive. I'll probably go back to making my own dog food when the weather cools off again.

March 22, 2012 Flag

I've had my Pom-Chi for just about 2 months, he's only 3 1/2 months old. The past couple weeks I've noticed that he has been chewing on his skin on his front legs a lot and when he does that it has an odd sound like cartilage cracking. He has been itching constantly and it looks like he has dandruff! He has been loosing hair too on his stomach, chest, and front armpits. It's very thin. He is black and the hair there looks grey and if I pull gently on it, it comes out very easily.

I am very worried about my little baby:( I took him to the vet and we did tests for mites and they came out negative. She said that the normal hair loss for Pomeranians was on their legs and heads. He isn't losing any of that hair so it is an odd place for that.

I'm going to switch his food and get different shampoo to see if that will help, but please please help me! I'm very sad my little baby has to suffer like this.

By mtee7

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have a dachshund and have been battling itching, scratching and crusted skin for about 2 1/2 years. Went on GreatDaneLady.com and she had some very good advice about these conditions.

Take your dog for a thryroid test if that turns out good. Go on Nzymes.com and get the nzymes pak for allergies and within 6 months using the above in conjunction with shampoo and 4 Health or Blue dog food she is living a very good life relatively scratch free. Like some one else said the dog food you buy in the grocery store or pet store is full of stuff they don't need. Great Dane Lady is a very good source of information. Good luck!

August 2, 2016 Flag

I have a 9 year old pekingese and he recently started losing all his hair around the neck. Then my family and I went camping and his hair loss started on his tail and behind the ears. I've noticed his hair starting to fall off everywhere and it's frizzy. This has never happened before and I would take him to the vet, but I'm in a different country with him. Please help!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

well I tryed telling my parents to take the dog to the vet but they keep putting it off like it's nothing. Just today I gave him a bath and in an hour I realised he was shaking beacuse he was cold.

September 21, 2010 Flag

Today I noticed that my dog was licking underneath her right leg. When I checked her, I noticed that underneath her right leg she did not have any hair unlike her left side were she has hair. What can this be and is it something I should be concerned about? She is 5 years old and a Shih Tzu.

By Nelson from Hackensack, NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

There are many causes of this type of behavior including behavioral, allergic, and endocrine disorders to name a few. It is important to be adament about sharing information in detail with your Veterinarian such as when she is doing this behavior, type of diet fed, and the use of flea and tick products. Sometimes the smallest things such as a change of environment, household cleaners, and or laundry detergent can cause upsets. Other problems can be psychogenic grooming due to a need not being met. These cases are quite difficult to pinpoint but, are not impossible. I would suggest keeping a diary of behaviors and changes and presenting them to your vet. It may sound a little freaky but, the more information we have, the more able we are to get to the root of the problem! Good luck! :) SEUT RVT

July 27, 2010 Flag

I have a 9 yr. old Chow, who is losing her fur, on her bottom and now along the sides of her body. The vet gave me medicine for allergies, but it is not working. Someone told me to try Gold Bond powder and another said give her vitamin A. She does not scratch the areas, and it is not irritated.
Does anyone have any suggestions that may help her?

By Ann

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I'm surprised by how many people use rather radical methods because a dog is shedding. While you always want to check with a vet, there is probably a very simple solution! Most people tend to feed their dogs lots of dry food, and very little wet food, if any at all. This simply reduces the amount of oil and fat they get in their diet. Like all animals with hair, dogs need this oil and fat to help them maintain a healthy coat. Without it, they start shedding like mad.

Use eggs, olive oil, or other oily/fatty replacements with their food to help create a healthy coat. You don't need to buy any fancy products, just a little olive oil on the dry food can have a noticeable effect.

August 7, 2010 Flag

My 5-month-old Bichon Yorkie has thin hair on his legs and back. The vet suggests it is a flea allergy. He acts like it is a death sentence. Can any one give suggestions?

By Sandy from Louisa, KY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Dry borax in the carpet like I have directed to many, for the fleas. Good for at least a year plus it is a natural product. Nzymes.com for the enzyme granules that will help in many ways with digestion and health. Besides, it helps make up for the processed foods that we can not totally get away from. Another suggestion is Willard's water in their drinking water as well as a spray on the damaged skin.

February 25, 2016 Flag

I have a 10 year old Chihuahua who recently, in the last 2 months, started losing his hair on his back. When I give him baths he starts scratching really badly afterwards and his skin starts flaking. I use Sergeant's flea and tick shampoo. What can I use to help his dry skin so he doesn't scratch so much after a bath?

He has to eat wet foods because his jaw isn't strong enough to chew hard food anymore. Can I use cocoa butter on his dry skin or will it hurt him?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

First, try using a different bath shampoo. If it's too alkaline it will cause dry skin. Also, use a brush to help exfoliate skin flakes. Yes, you can use cocoa butter. That would be a good start. Try it and see if it helps. Another thing that could help is coconut oil.

If nothing else seems to work after several days, consider a vet visit to rule out the chance he might have caught something like mites or mange.

November 6, 2012 Flag

We have a 6 year old Pug. He has been having small dark patches in the neck and chest region. There has also been some hair fall. We had put him on some antibiotics, but the problem still recurs after some time. Is there any cure, any foods we should avoid? We had tried hypoallergenic foods, but that didn't work. Now we are giving him a food which contains fish and rice.

By Sunita

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Could be lots of things. Allergy? fungus, food and i suspect this happened immediately after a vaccine. His immune system is possibly failing. Lets try some things that will not harm and see if we can clear this. Please check my past posts for details. We start with a proven supplement I have used with great success on my disabled dogs. No, I don't sell or profit from this. Google and order please Nzymes.com. What they sell truly works. Pictures like you dogs problem and it does work. They will help you with diet info, allergy concerns, anti vaccine info, supplement info and the like. Their add is right on and these are not phony people. Nothing from China.

You might try amber colored Listerine. Amber only in a spray bottle and be sure and get between the toes. You might try coconut oil on the skin and a little in his food. Very promising if it is any organism is a bath in just 1 % chlorhexidine which is a medical scrub. Ask at even Wal Mart for it. Mix with lots of water. it does some amazing things in a short term. No vaccines. You may set his immune system in orbit. Google anti vaccine to find ingredients in vaccines and you will never again trust such idiots. Content mercury, formaldehyde, aluminum, x species pus - get the picture? I have no formal training only experience after helping animals all of my life.

November 25, 2014 Flag

My 11 month old Chow is shedding and there are skin rashes all over his body. He has also black spots on his face and when I remove it, it bleeds.

By Cho from Philippines

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It looks like mange to me, too. Only the vet can tell for sure. They look at it under a microscope to tell if it's mange or not.

Good luck.

July 5, 2004 Flag

What's the best home remedy to get fleas off my dogs, and what can i do about them losing their hair?

Charlotte

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

CHINA IS A SMALL SHIH TZU (SPELLING) WE HAVE 2 OTHER DOGS BESIDES CHINA AND WE CHANGED THE FOOD THEY WERE ON TO SOMETHING FOR OLDER DOGS BECAUSE THEY ARE GETTING OLD AT THE 2 ARE . WELL MY HUSBAND NOTICE THAT CHINA WAS LOSING HAIR BY THE ONE HIND LEG WELL TODAY I NOTICE SHE HAS A V GOING NOW.

WHAT SHOULD I DO BESIDES GO TO THE VET?

March 11, 2008 Flag

I have a Pomchi (15 weeks old). As soon as we got him at 8 weeks old he started to lose fur on his face and then around his bottom and back legs. The hair on his face has grown back but the hair on his back legs and bottom has not. He has very dry itchy skin on his back also that flakes.

I have seen remarks on how to cure itchiness but I don't know what to do about the hair loss. His coat is really sparse all over. He has very short fuzzy, soft hair that would be only 3/4 in. long. Actually he really doesn't look like what I though I was getting. Any suggestions?

Laura from Hornsby, Australia

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello,

I read many people telling you that your dog has mange. Well, only your veterinarian can give you the correct answer. I have worked for a veterinarian for over 27 years. Please take your fur-baby in for an examination. Your veterinarian will probably take a skin scraping and put it under the microscope to determine what is causing the hair loss. Your veterinarian can also prescribe the correct treatment. Good luck with your beloved puppy.

January 17, 2015 Flag

Our Pug is 5 months old and is suffering with severe itching and hair fall. We have been using Star Coat syrup and Clodoc powder from 15 days, but I can't observe any change. So, I request you to kindly suggest some remedies in the form of sprays.

By Subramanyam P

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It is possible your dog has parasites or a food allergy. There are no sprays I know of that cures either problem.

Please take the puppy to the vet to find out what is wrong. If you don't know what is wrong, you can't properly treat it.

October 4, 2016 Flag

My dog's hair has shed due to chemicals used while cleaning the floor. Please help me to grow my dog's hair back. Please give me tips.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 20, 2015 Flag

Some people around me are advising me to comb my hair more frequently. I'm not doing that currently, but I do brush 2 times a day. I have some hairfall issues so they tell this to me. Is there any truth to it? Does combing really prevent hair loss?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It depends on the source of the hair loss. If it is hormonal or due to stress, this will probably not help. The idea is that you are stimulating the scalp and that can stimulate hair growth. But this works best with people who already have healthy hair.

The doctor you want to see is a dermatologist. If they can figure out the source of your particular type of hair loss you can get a prescription or other help there.

November 1, 2015 Flag

He is 6 months old and has been having this skin issue for awhile now. He loses hair in patches and is left with red bold spots after. It's mostly on the back and leg area. I've showered him and he is tick and flea free. I've done some research, but still am not sure what it is.

spots

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Pets Dogs HealthMarch 23, 2014
Dachshund Losing Hair
Beautiful woman with frizzy hair looking at her comb, with a pained expression
Remedies for Frizzy Hair
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 19, 2017 at 10:12:22 AM on 10.0.2.148 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.