Remedies for Hair Loss in Dogs

Category Health
Visit your veterinarian to determine the cause of your dog's hair loss. This is a guide about remedies for hair loss in dogs.

Short haired dachshund getting his hair brushed

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about Dachshund losing hair. When your dog suffers hair loss, determining the cause is the first step to treatment.

My 2 month old puppy's fur is falling from her legs, chest, neck, face, and ear. How do I get it to grow back? Please help me? and what is the reason?

Is he also scratching himself to cause this?

Cooper, my Golden, has begun to pull hair out beside his tail and along his tail. When the hair is pulled it reveals red, flakey, raw skin. Without the cone he can't stop himself from licking and pulling hair. This is the second time (he is 5) both in the last 6 months. Where he has healed the skin has turned black. The vet said it could be allergies or bug bites, but we're not sure. Drugs and creams didn't seem to improve the situation. I've been online and I am starting to think yeast. Any ideas of the cause or ideas to help heal? Thanks in advance!

The more severe pictures are of the first time and it took only 2 days. The other 2 that don't look as bad are current and on the opposite side.

It may be Seasonal Flank Alopecia, Bacterial Folliculitis, Anxiety Disorder....however due to her age Im not really sure and I don't know her other symptoms. My dog has the bacterial follicultis and is on an antibiotic for two weeks. She is also on a new antihistamine and receives epson salt baths every other day. So far so good and we are hoping for full recovery or path in which to handle these issues should they occur again in the future. Most of these things I learned by researching on Google and once her hair started falling out on her back I did take her to the vet because I definitely didn't feel comfortable treating that off of Google so I learned a lot there too.

With yout dog's skin turning black where the hair has come out it makes me think of seasonal flank alopecia but I'm not sure. Like I said my dog's hair started to fall out on her back and she suffered no other symptoms than that except for itchiness.

The hair loss etc is a very hard symptom to address as it occurs as a result of a number of conditions.

Good luk, best wishes and happy Googling!

My 5 month old Pit/Lab mix is losing patches of fur. It started with a patch on his head and we just figured he had scrapped it on something in the yard. But it's been a month or two and now that the fleas are coming around he is scratching way more than the other dogs, and he's making the hair loss worse.

Our other dogs are perfectly fine, they all eat the same food, and I can't afford a vet at the moment. He is happy and healthy aside from the patches. I've looked up mange and allergy symptoms and what you can buy to help, but like I said, finances are tight, so if there is a home remedy that I can use in the mean time, I'd like to know what is safe. He has such pretty fur. I'd hate for him to lose it all.

I understand the cost of a vet because I have 6 pit bulls and I am always going to the vet for ear infections and skin problems. I am now checking out home remedies for every problem my dogs get.

I still have to bring them for their yearly shots, etc. and monthly

heart worm pills. So far I am using one of the home remedies for ear infections and already he is getting relief. Of course I have to chase him a little bit, but after it is done he understands and can feel a little better. Good Luck!

I have a question regarding my Staffy. He's losing hair behind his ears and now it looks like he's losing it round his eyes. He has to see the vet in two weeks, but I was just wondering what this could be and if there was anything I could do for him in the mean time?

Kind regards.

It is a common nickname for an American Staffordshire Terrier, similar to "Yorkie" being used for a Yorkshire Terrier.

Why is my 15 month old Lurcher bitch losing hair on her front and rear legs? She has also started to lick her legs, no other part of her body is affected by this.

By rainbow1972 from England

Best Answer

It's possible that your dog has food allergies. My dog loses hair if I feed her certain dog foods. I was making all her dog food last winter, but I quit doing that for the summer. Right now, I'm giving her an all natural dog food and she's doing very well, but the food is expensive. I'll probably go back to making my own dog food when the weather cools off again.

I've had my Pom-Chi for just about 2 months, he's only 3 1/2 months old. The past couple weeks I've noticed that he has been chewing on his skin on his front legs a lot and when he does that it has an odd sound like cartilage cracking. He has been itching constantly and it looks like he has dandruff! He has been loosing hair too on his stomach, chest, and front armpits. It's very thin. He is black and the hair there looks grey and if I pull gently on it, it comes out very easily.

I am very worried about my little baby:( I took him to the vet and we did tests for mites and they came out negative. She said that the normal hair loss for Pomeranians was on their legs and heads. He isn't losing any of that hair so it is an odd place for that.

I'm going to switch his food and get different shampoo to see if that will help, but please please help me! I'm very sad my little baby has to suffer like this.

By mtee7

Best Answer

I have a dachshund and have been battling itching, scratching and crusted skin for about 2 1/2 years. Went on GreatDaneLady.com and she had some very good advice about these conditions.

Take your dog for a thryroid test if that turns out good. Go on Nzymes.com and get the nzymes pak for allergies and within 6 months using the above in conjunction with shampoo and 4 Health or Blue dog food she is living a very good life relatively scratch free. Like some one else said the dog food you buy in the grocery store or pet store is full of stuff they don't need. Great Dane Lady is a very good source of information. Good luck!

Today I noticed that my dog was licking underneath her right leg. When I checked her, I noticed that underneath her right leg she did not have any hair unlike her left side were she has hair. What can this be and is it something I should be concerned about? She is 5 years old and a Shih Tzu.

By Nelson from Hackensack, NJ

Best Answer

There are many causes of this type of behavior including behavioral, allergic, and endocrine disorders to name a few. It is important to be adament about sharing information in detail with your Veterinarian such as when she is doing this behavior, type of diet fed, and the use of flea and tick products. Sometimes the smallest things such as a change of environment, household cleaners, and or laundry detergent can cause upsets. Other problems can be psychogenic grooming due to a need not being met. These cases are quite difficult to pinpoint but, are not impossible. I would suggest keeping a diary of behaviors and changes and presenting them to your vet. It may sound a little freaky but, the more information we have, the more able we are to get to the root of the problem! Good luck! :) SEUT RVT

I have a 9 yr. old Chow, who is losing her fur, on her bottom and now along the sides of her body. The vet gave me medicine for allergies, but it is not working. Someone told me to try Gold Bond powder and another said give her vitamin A. She does not scratch the areas, and it is not irritated.
Does anyone have any suggestions that may help her?

By Ann

Best Answer

I'm surprised by how many people use rather radical methods because a dog is shedding. While you always want to check with a vet, there is probably a very simple solution! Most people tend to feed their dogs lots of dry food, and very little wet food, if any at all. This simply reduces the amount of oil and fat they get in their diet. Like all animals with hair, dogs need this oil and fat to help them maintain a healthy coat. Without it, they start shedding like mad.

Use eggs, olive oil, or other oily/fatty replacements with their food to help create a healthy coat. You don't need to buy any fancy products, just a little olive oil on the dry food can have a noticeable effect.

My 5-month-old Bichon Yorkie has thin hair on his legs and back. The vet suggests it is a flea allergy. He acts like it is a death sentence. Can any one give suggestions?

By Sandy from Louisa, KY

Best Answer

Dry borax in the carpet like I have directed to many, for the fleas. Good for at least a year plus it is a natural product. Nzymes.com for the enzyme granules that will help in many ways with digestion and health. Besides, it helps make up for the processed foods that we can not totally get away from. Another suggestion is Willard's water in their drinking water as well as a spray on the damaged skin.

We have a 6 year old Pug. He has been having small dark patches in the neck and chest region. There has also been some hair fall. We had put him on some antibiotics, but the problem still recurs after some time. Is there any cure, any foods we should avoid? We had tried hypoallergenic foods, but that didn't work. Now we are giving him a food which contains fish and rice.

By Sunita

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Could be lots of things. Allergy? fungus, food and i suspect this happened immediately after a vaccine. His immune system is possibly failing. Lets try some things that will not harm and see if we can clear this. Please check my past posts for details. We start with a proven supplement I have used with great success on my disabled dogs. No, I don't sell or profit from this. Google and order please Nzymes.com. What they sell truly works. Pictures like you dogs problem and it does work. They will help you with diet info, allergy concerns, anti vaccine info, supplement info and the like. Their add is right on and these are not phony people. Nothing from China.

You might try amber colored Listerine. Amber only in a spray bottle and be sure and get between the toes. You might try coconut oil on the skin and a little in his food. Very promising if it is any organism is a bath in just 1 % chlorhexidine which is a medical scrub. Ask at even Wal Mart for it. Mix with lots of water. it does some amazing things in a short term. No vaccines. You may set his immune system in orbit. Google anti vaccine to find ingredients in vaccines and you will never again trust such idiots. Content mercury, formaldehyde, aluminum, x species pus - get the picture? I have no formal training only experience after helping animals all of my life.

I have a 9 year old pekingese and he recently started losing all his hair around the neck. Then my family and I went camping and his hair loss started on his tail and behind the ears. I've noticed his hair starting to fall off everywhere and it's frizzy. This has never happened before and I would take him to the vet, but I'm in a different country with him. Please help!

well I tryed telling my parents to take the dog to the vet but they keep putting it off like it's nothing. Just today I gave him a bath and in an hour I realised he was shaking beacuse he was cold.

What's the best home remedy to get fleas off my dogs, and what can i do about them losing their hair?

Charlotte

Answer Was this helpful? 1

CHINA IS A SMALL SHIH TZU (SPELLING) WE HAVE 2 OTHER DOGS BESIDES CHINA AND WE CHANGED THE FOOD THEY WERE ON TO SOMETHING FOR OLDER DOGS BECAUSE THEY ARE GETTING OLD AT THE 2 ARE . WELL MY HUSBAND NOTICE THAT CHINA WAS LOSING HAIR BY THE ONE HIND LEG WELL TODAY I NOTICE SHE HAS A V GOING NOW.

WHAT SHOULD I DO BESIDES GO TO THE VET?

I have a 10 year old Chihuahua who recently, in the last 2 months, started losing his hair on his back. When I give him baths he starts scratching really badly afterwards and his skin starts flaking. I use Sergeant's flea and tick shampoo. What can I use to help his dry skin so he doesn't scratch so much after a bath?

He has to eat wet foods because his jaw isn't strong enough to chew hard food anymore. Can I use cocoa butter on his dry skin or will it hurt him?

First, try using a different bath shampoo. If it's too alkaline it will cause dry skin. Also, use a brush to help exfoliate skin flakes. Yes, you can use cocoa butter. That would be a good start. Try it and see if it helps. Another thing that could help is coconut oil.

If nothing else seems to work after several days, consider a vet visit to rule out the chance he might have caught something like mites or mange.

I have a 9 month old Great Dane. When he was about 12 weeks old he started to lose hair on his head. We got that under control now it's on the sides of his face under his eyes, on his jowls, his armpits, and on his elbows where he lays. I took him to the vet and she said he'll grow out of it, but I don't see him growing out of it. He also has this reddish rash on his chest/stomach.

certain breeds are susceptible to allopecia, which can be treated by giving the dogs fish oil supplements. Brushing habitually helps as well.

My dog's hair has shed due to chemicals used while cleaning the floor. Please help me to grow my dog's hair back. Please give me tips.

Did the hair shed because the chemicals burned it off his body, or because exposure to the chemicals caused a toxic hepatic reaction?

If it was exposure to chemicals on the skin, I imagine that treating the area would allow the hair to grow back eventually. If it was the other reason, then thigns to support detox and his liver might help bring it back.

My only experience with this was a neighbor's pomeranian who for whatever reason lost all his hair, save that on his head/face area and his paws. She took him to the vet repeatedly, who told her he was perfectly healthy besides. Now he just wears sweaters.

In any event here's a guide to deal wtih that problem http://www.1800  hair-loss-18.htm

My 11 month old Chow is shedding and there are skin rashes all over his body. He has also black spots on his face and when I remove it, it bleeds.

By Cho from Philippines

It looks like mange to me, too. Only the vet can tell for sure. They look at it under a microscope to tell if it's mange or not.

Good luck.

I have a Pomchi (15 weeks old). As soon as we got him at 8 weeks old he started to lose fur on his face and then around his bottom and back legs. The hair on his face has grown back but the hair on his back legs and bottom has not. He has very dry itchy skin on his back also that flakes.

I have seen remarks on how to cure itchiness but I don't know what to do about the hair loss. His coat is really sparse all over. He has very short fuzzy, soft hair that would be only 3/4 in. long. Actually he really doesn't look like what I though I was getting. Any suggestions?

Laura from Hornsby, Australia

Hello,

I read many people telling you that your dog has mange. Well, only your veterinarian can give you the correct answer. I have worked for a veterinarian for over 27 years. Please take your fur-baby in for an examination. Your veterinarian will probably take a skin scraping and put it under the microscope to determine what is causing the hair loss. Your veterinarian can also prescribe the correct treatment. Good luck with your beloved puppy.

Our Pug is 5 months old and is suffering with severe itching and hair fall. We have been using Star Coat syrup and Clodoc powder from 15 days, but I can't observe any change. So, I request you to kindly suggest some remedies in the form of sprays.

By Subramanyam P

It is possible your dog has parasites or a food allergy. There are no sprays I know of that cures either problem.

Please take the puppy to the vet to find out what is wrong. If you don't know what is wrong, you can't properly treat it.

My 7-year old long hair Doxie, has a horrible skin rash on her chest and arm pits. She is losing her fur and has an odor. The vet gave her a cortisone shot about a month ago, but that has not helped the rash. She doesn't scratch as much, but it doesn't look good.

By Marge L from Galloway, NJ

Best Answer

That does sound like itching from allergies or some other skin condition and maybe a longer course of oral steroids would help. But something else to consider, especially if your dog is also tired, is a thyroid condition. When I was a kid, our dachshund started losing hair and gaining weight. The vet kept treating it as a skin condition and wanted to shave off all Snoopy's hair and treat him with special lotions for several weeks. My mom took him to another vet who diagnosed low thyroid hormone. He took a pill every day and was back to normal in no time. He lived to be 15 years old.

Some people around me are advising me to comb my hair more frequently. I'm not doing that currently, but I do brush 2 times a day. I have some hairfall issues so they tell this to me. Is there any truth to it? Does combing really prevent hair loss?

It depends on the source of the hair loss. If it is hormonal or due to stress, this will probably not help. The idea is that you are stimulating the scalp and that can stimulate hair growth. But this works best with people who already have healthy hair.

The doctor you want to see is a dermatologist. If they can figure out the source of your particular type of hair loss you can get a prescription or other help there.

He is 6 months old and has been having this skin issue for awhile now. He loses hair in patches and is left with red bold spots after. It's mostly on the back and leg area. I've showered him and he is tick and flea free. I've done some research, but still am not sure what it is.

It could be something simple like an allergy but it could also be a more serious issue. Best to have the dog checked for parasites, especially ringworm.

My 1 year old Boston Terrier (male) is loosing hair behind his ears. The rest of the body is OK. Can you suggest any home remedies or natural oil? Thanks.

By Esther from New York, NY

Best Answer

I respectfully suggest you take your Boston to the vet, first, to determine what the problem is before trying to treat it with home remedies. It's impossible to treat any condition effectively (people or pets) if you don't know what ailment you are treating. Hair loss can be indicative of skin allergies and/or many other ailments, none of which can be treated successfully - with or without home remedies, unless you have a proper diagnosis. Good Luck.

P.S. I've a soft spot for the Boston's as I grew up with them. Hope your pet gets better, soon.

Someone said it could be mange. What is this?

Load More