Remedies for Hair Loss in Dogs

Visit your veterinarian to determine the cause of your dog's hair loss. This is a guide about remedies for hair loss in dogs.

May 25, 2016 Flag

My 5 month old Pit/Lab mix is losing patches of fur. It started with a patch on his head and we just figured he had scrapped it on something in the yard. But it's been a month or two and now that the fleas are coming around he is scratching way more than the other dogs, and he's making the hair loss worse.

Our other dogs are perfectly fine, they all eat the same food, and I can't afford a vet at the moment. He is happy and healthy aside from the patches. I've looked up mange and allergy symptoms and what you can buy to help, but like I said, finances are tight, so if there is a home remedy that I can use in the mean time, I'd like to know what is safe. He has such pretty fur. I'd hate for him to lose it all.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Fish oil to put the oil back in the coat and front line spray for the house and pet front line has an igr insect growth repellent its birth control for fleas helps you be one step ahead. Treat your yard as well they have sprays like cutters for fleas and ticks good luck

My dog a pit bull losing hair around the ears and eyes what home remedies an I use can't afford to go to the vet this month what can I do

Read More Answers...

October 18, 2010 Flag

Why is my 15 month old Lurcher bitch losing hair on her front and rear legs? She has also started to lick her legs, no other part of her body is affected by this.

By rainbow1972 from England

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

It's possible that your dog has food allergies. My dog loses hair if I feed her certain dog foods. I was making all her dog food last winter, but I quit doing that for the summer. Right now, I'm giving her an all natural dog food and she's doing very well, but the food is expensive. I'll probably go back to making my own dog food when the weather cools off again.

Best Answer

Dermatitis mange or allergy. My nieces dog had hair loss and the vet told hers was due to allergies. He recommended the same allergy antihistamine that can be bought in the dollar stores for people once a day. If it is allergies, be sure to get the pills with out the heavy red die. In people the heavy red die gives what feels like a urinary track infection to some people. But when tested usually no urinary track infection shows. So why risk the discomfort for your dog.

My daughter has a beautiful dog with dermatitis mange. In an instance like this there are different things that can be done. For one a good bath using a flee tick and lice shampoo on the chance microscopic bugs are to blame, another is changing the food to lamb and rice. Some vet's say dog's have an allergic reaction to the beef in food. Also my daughter gives her dog omega three capsules. The same kind that people take. It puts oil in his skin and makes for a beautiful coat.

What was really interesting is when one of my daughters dogs got into the pine pitch, she used baby oil to get it out before bathing. She had to bath him twice, but he smelled good for several days after word. And his hair was beautiful!

P.S. If the dog has chewed and scratched him self raw in places, a vet may order an antibiotic to help heal it. Good luck with your dog.

Read More Answers...

March 22, 2012 Flag

I've had my Pom-Chi for just about 2 months, he's only 3 1/2 months old. The past couple weeks I've noticed that he has been chewing on his skin on his front legs a lot and when he does that it has an odd sound like cartilage cracking. He has been itching constantly and it looks like he has dandruff! He has been loosing hair too on his stomach, chest, and front armpits. It's very thin. He is black and the hair there looks grey and if I pull gently on it, it comes out very easily.

I am very worried about my little baby:( I took him to the vet and we did tests for mites and they came out negative. She said that the normal hair loss for Pomeranians was on their legs and heads. He isn't losing any of that hair so it is an odd place for that.

I'm going to switch his food and get different shampoo to see if that will help, but please please help me! I'm very sad my little baby has to suffer like this.

By mtee7

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I have a dachshund and have been battling itching, scratching and crusted skin for about 2 1/2 years. Went on GreatDaneLady.com and she had some very good advice about these conditions.

Take your dog for a thryroid test if that turns out good. Go on Nzymes.com and get the nzymes pak for allergies and within 6 months using the above in conjunction with shampoo and 4 Health or Blue dog food she is living a very good life relatively scratch free. Like some one else said the dog food you buy in the grocery store or pet store is full of stuff they don't need. Great Dane Lady is a very good source of information. Good luck!

Best Answer

This sounds a lot like a food allergy. But it also could be thyroid. There are good posts on this site about alternative diets for food allergy. My dog was allergic to many foods and I ended up feeding him brown rice and canned salmon until he died at 17 years old. I had to figure this out on my own. The vets dont study much about alternative diets.. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

September 21, 2010 Flag

Today I noticed that my dog was licking underneath her right leg. When I checked her, I noticed that underneath her right leg she did not have any hair unlike her left side were she has hair. What can this be and is it something I should be concerned about? She is 5 years old and a Shih Tzu.

By Nelson from Hackensack, NJ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

There are many causes of this type of behavior including behavioral, allergic, and endocrine disorders to name a few. It is important to be adament about sharing information in detail with your Veterinarian such as when she is doing this behavior, type of diet fed, and the use of flea and tick products. Sometimes the smallest things such as a change of environment, household cleaners, and or laundry detergent can cause upsets. Other problems can be psychogenic grooming due to a need not being met. These cases are quite difficult to pinpoint but, are not impossible. I would suggest keeping a diary of behaviors and changes and presenting them to your vet. It may sound a little freaky but, the more information we have, the more able we are to get to the root of the problem! Good luck! :) SEUT RVT

Best Answer

It sounds to me your dog is still traumatized by the surgery and her nerves are getting the best of her which would cause her to lose her fur and as for the vomiting it is probably caused by her ingesting her hair like fur balls to a cat when they clean themselves.. When she goes to the vet again love her while she is there so she won't be so upset cause she remembers what happened the last time she went there, take her home and pay lots of attention to her and give her a special treat.

I agree with the last person keep a journal of any changes in her environment and her habits. Good Luck and God Bless!

Read More Answers...

July 27, 2010 Flag

I have a 9 yr. old Chow, who is losing her fur, on her bottom and now along the sides of her body. The vet gave me medicine for allergies, but it is not working. Someone told me to try Gold Bond powder and another said give her vitamin A. She does not scratch the areas, and it is not irritated.
Does anyone have any suggestions that may help her?

By Ann

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I'm surprised by how many people use rather radical methods because a dog is shedding. While you always want to check with a vet, there is probably a very simple solution! Most people tend to feed their dogs lots of dry food, and very little wet food, if any at all. This simply reduces the amount of oil and fat they get in their diet. Like all animals with hair, dogs need this oil and fat to help them maintain a healthy coat. Without it, they start shedding like mad.

Use eggs, olive oil, or other oily/fatty replacements with their food to help create a healthy coat. You don't need to buy any fancy products, just a little olive oil on the dry food can have a noticeable effect.

Best Answer

Some dogs are allergic to wheat or corn in their food. Corn is very common in most dog foods and treats, and if there is an allergy, the dog's hair will fall out and they will begin scratching. Our dog is allergic to corn and we started buying a natural, corn-free food at our local pet store and it helped tremendously. Also, we started bathing him with a gentle oatmeal shampoo to keep his skin from drying out.

Read More Answers...

August 2, 2016 Flag

I have a 9 year old pekingese and he recently started losing all his hair around the neck. Then my family and I went camping and his hair loss started on his tail and behind the ears. I've noticed his hair starting to fall off everywhere and it's frizzy. This has never happened before and I would take him to the vet, but I'm in a different country with him. Please help!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are many reasons your dog is losing hair; you should not delay medical treatment as the problem can become worse and cost much more. A veterinarian in your current area can evaluate and provide appropriate medical treatment now.

well I tryed telling my parents to take the dog to the vet but they keep putting it off like it's nothing. Just today I gave him a bath and in an hour I realised he was shaking beacuse he was cold.

Read More Answers...

August 7, 2010 Flag

My 5-month-old Bichon Yorkie has thin hair on his legs and back. The vet suggests it is a flea allergy. He acts like it is a death sentence. Can any one give suggestions?

By Sandy from Louisa, KY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Dry borax in the carpet like I have directed to many, for the fleas. Good for at least a year plus it is a natural product. Nzymes.com for the enzyme granules that will help in many ways with digestion and health. Besides, it helps make up for the processed foods that we can not totally get away from. Another suggestion is Willard's water in their drinking water as well as a spray on the damaged skin.

Best Answer

Sounds like your pets have a weak immune system. You have to feed your pets good quality food. It will cost a little more but it is worth it. Good quality food for a dog is Evangers, Natural Balance or Merrick. There are others but this is what I feed my dogs. Look at the ingredients and make sure the food does not have any by-products, chemical preservatives, artificial flavors, artificial colors, chemical additives. The first ingredients should always be some kind of meat (turkey, beef, chicken). Give your pets good quality fish oil. I use "Royal Coat Express" from Ark Naturals. Excellent product. Their web site is www.arknaturals.com. Their fur will grown back and it will be thick and healthy.

Read More Answers...

February 25, 2016 Flag

I have a 10 year old Chihuahua who recently, in the last 2 months, started losing his hair on his back. When I give him baths he starts scratching really badly afterwards and his skin starts flaking. I use Sergeant's flea and tick shampoo. What can I use to help his dry skin so he doesn't scratch so much after a bath?

He has to eat wet foods because his jaw isn't strong enough to chew hard food anymore. Can I use cocoa butter on his dry skin or will it hurt him?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

First, try using a different bath shampoo. If it's too alkaline it will cause dry skin. Also, use a brush to help exfoliate skin flakes. Yes, you can use cocoa butter. That would be a good start. Try it and see if it helps. Another thing that could help is coconut oil.

If nothing else seems to work after several days, consider a vet visit to rule out the chance he might have caught something like mites or mange.

I use hypoallergenic shampoo on my Papillion. Otherwise, he scratches like crazy.

Read More Answers...

June 1, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about Dachshund losing hair. When your dog suffers hair loss, determining the cause is the first step to treatment.

Short haired dachshund getting his hair brushed

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 6, 2012 Flag

We have a 6 year old Pug. He has been having small dark patches in the neck and chest region. There has also been some hair fall. We had put him on some antibiotics, but the problem still recurs after some time. Is there any cure, any foods we should avoid? We had tried hypoallergenic foods, but that didn't work. Now we are giving him a food which contains fish and rice.

By Sunita

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Could be lots of things. Allergy? fungus, food and i suspect this happened immediately after a vaccine. His immune system is possibly failing. Lets try some things that will not harm and see if we can clear this. Please check my past posts for details. We start with a proven supplement I have used with great success on my disabled dogs. No, I don't sell or profit from this. Google and order please Nzymes.com. What they sell truly works. Pictures like you dogs problem and it does work. They will help you with diet info, allergy concerns, anti vaccine info, supplement info and the like. Their add is right on and these are not phony people. Nothing from China.

You might try amber colored Listerine. Amber only in a spray bottle and be sure and get between the toes. You might try coconut oil on the skin and a little in his food. Very promising if it is any organism is a bath in just 1 % chlorhexidine which is a medical scrub. Ask at even Wal Mart for it. Mix with lots of water. it does some amazing things in a short term. No vaccines. You may set his immune system in orbit. Google anti vaccine to find ingredients in vaccines and you will never again trust such idiots. Content mercury, formaldehyde, aluminum, x species pus - get the picture? I have no formal training only experience after helping animals all of my life.

October 4, 2016 Flag

My dog's hair has shed due to chemicals used while cleaning the floor. Please help me to grow my dog's hair back. Please give me tips.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 25, 2014 Flag

My 11 month old Chow is shedding and there are skin rashes all over his body. He has also black spots on his face and when I remove it, it bleeds.

By Cho from Philippines

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

After you've been to the vet, remove all soy meal from the dog's diet. Some dogs react badly to it. A friend's dog went thro this and was prescribed Prednisone. Little dog wound up obese. When she withdrew all soy the dog was off the medication within weeks and getting back to her normal self. It has caused some large breed dogs to colic.

It looks like mange to me, too. Only the vet can tell for sure. They look at it under a microscope to tell if it's mange or not.

Good luck.

Read More Answers...
Load More
Pets Dogs HealthMarch 23, 2014
Remedies For Hair Loss, Man Touching His Balding Head
Remedies For Hair Loss
Beautiful woman with frizzy hair looking at her comb, with a pained expression
Remedies for Frizzy Hair
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
🎉
🎄