Remedies for Hair Loss in Dogs

Visit your veterinarian to determine the cause of your dog's hair loss. This is a guide about remedies for hair loss in dogs.

Dog Loosing Hair
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 25, 2016 Flag

My 5 month old Pit/Lab mix is losing patches of fur. It started with a patch on his head and we just figured he had scrapped it on something in the yard. But it's been a month or two and now that the fleas are coming around he is scratching way more than the other dogs, and he's making the hair loss worse.

black dog

Our other dogs are perfectly fine, they all eat the same food, and I can't afford a vet at the moment. He is happy and healthy aside from the patches. I've looked up mange and allergy symptoms and what you can buy to help, but like I said, finances are tight, so if there is a home remedy that I can use in the mean time, I'd like to know what is safe. He has such pretty fur. I'd hate for him to lose it all.

Remedy for Dog Losing Fur
    Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My black lab midnite loses patches of hair from the middle of his back all the way to the back of him tail legs rump, etc. I've had him on antibiotics and steroids and shampoo from the vet all at once he will be ok for a short period and get it all back again 137$ every time. I'm so desperate for this solution.

Read More Answers...

October 18, 2010 Flag

Why is my 15 month old Lurcher bitch losing hair on her front and rear legs? She has also started to lick her legs, no other part of her body is affected by this.

By rainbow1972 from England

Best Answer

Dermatitis mange or allergy. My nieces dog had hair loss and the vet told hers was due to allergies. He recommended the same allergy antihistamine that can be bought in the dollar stores for people once a day. If it is allergies, be sure to get the pills with out the heavy red die. In people the heavy red die gives what feels like a urinary track infection to some people. But when tested usually no urinary track infection shows. So why risk the discomfort for your dog.

My daughter has a beautiful dog with dermatitis mange. In an instance like this there are different things that can be done. For one a good bath using a flee tick and lice shampoo on the chance microscopic bugs are to blame, another is changing the food to lamb and rice. Some vet's say dog's have an allergic reaction to the beef in food. Also my daughter gives her dog omega three capsules. The same kind that people take. It puts oil in his skin and makes for a beautiful coat.

What was really interesting is when one of my daughters dogs got into the pine pitch, she used baby oil to get it out before bathing. She had to bath him twice, but he smelled good for several days after word. And his hair was beautiful!

P.S. If the dog has chewed and scratched him self raw in places, a vet may order an antibiotic to help heal it. Good luck with your dog.

Read More Answers...

February 25, 2016 Flag

I have a 10 year old Chihuahua who recently, in the last 2 months, started losing his hair on his back. When I give him baths he starts scratching really badly afterwards and his skin starts flaking. I use Sergeant's flea and tick shampoo. What can I use to help his dry skin so he doesn't scratch so much after a bath?

He has to eat wet foods because his jaw isn't strong enough to chew hard food anymore. Can I use cocoa butter on his dry skin or will it hurt him?

I use hypoallergenic shampoo on my Papillion. Otherwise, he scratches like crazy.

Read More Answers...

March 22, 2012 Flag

I've had my Pom-Chi for just about 2 months, he's only 3 1/2 months old. The past couple weeks I've noticed that he has been chewing on his skin on his front legs a lot and when he does that it has an odd sound like cartilage cracking. He has been itching constantly and it looks like he has dandruff! He has been loosing hair too on his stomach, chest, and front armpits. It's very thin. He is black and the hair there looks grey and if I pull gently on it, it comes out very easily.

I am very worried about my little baby:( I took him to the vet and we did tests for mites and they came out negative. She said that the normal hair loss for Pomeranians was on their legs and heads. He isn't losing any of that hair so it is an odd place for that.

I'm going to switch his food and get different shampoo to see if that will help, but please please help me! I'm very sad my little baby has to suffer like this.

By mtee7

Best Answer

This sounds a lot like a food allergy. But it also could be thyroid. There are good posts on this site about alternative diets for food allergy. My dog was allergic to many foods and I ended up feeding him brown rice and canned salmon until he died at 17 years old. I had to figure this out on my own. The vets dont study much about alternative diets.. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

September 21, 2010 Flag

Today I noticed that my dog was licking underneath her right leg. When I checked her, I noticed that underneath her right leg she did not have any hair unlike her left side were she has hair. What can this be and is it something I should be concerned about? She is 5 years old and a Shih Tzu.

By Nelson from Hackensack, NJ

Best Answer

It sounds to me your dog is still traumatized by the surgery and her nerves are getting the best of her which would cause her to lose her fur and as for the vomiting it is probably caused by her ingesting her hair like fur balls to a cat when they clean themselves.. When she goes to the vet again love her while she is there so she won't be so upset cause she remembers what happened the last time she went there, take her home and pay lots of attention to her and give her a special treat.

I agree with the last person keep a journal of any changes in her environment and her habits. Good Luck and God Bless!

Read More Answers...

July 27, 2010 Flag

I have a 9 yr. old Chow, who is losing her fur, on her bottom and now along the sides of her body. The vet gave me medicine for allergies, but it is not working. Someone told me to try Gold Bond powder and another said give her vitamin A. She does not scratch the areas, and it is not irritated.
      Does anyone have any suggestions that may help her?

By Ann

Best Answer

Some dogs are allergic to wheat or corn in their food. Corn is very common in most dog foods and treats, and if there is an allergy, the dog's hair will fall out and they will begin scratching. Our dog is allergic to corn and we started buying a natural, corn-free food at our local pet store and it helped tremendously. Also, we started bathing him with a gentle oatmeal shampoo to keep his skin from drying out.

Read More Answers...

June 2, 2016 Flag

I have a 9 month old Great Dane. When he was about 12 weeks old he started to lose hair on his head. We got that under control now it's on the sides of his face under his eyes, on his jowls, his armpits, and on his elbows where he lays. I took him to the vet and she said he'll grow out of it, but I don't see him growing out of it. He also has this reddish rash on his chest/stomach.

dog's faceRemedies for Dog Losing HairRemedies for Dog Losing Hair
        Remedies for Dog Losing Hair

June 1, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about Dachshund losing hair. When your dog suffers hair loss, determining the cause is the first step to treatment.

Short haired dachshund getting his hair brushed

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 7, 2010 Flag

My 5-month-old Bichon Yorkie has thin hair on his legs and back. The vet suggests it is a flea allergy. He acts like it is a death sentence. Can any one give suggestions?

By Sandy from Louisa, KY

Best Answer

Sounds like your pets have a weak immune system. You have to feed your pets good quality food. It will cost a little more but it is worth it. Good quality food for a dog is Evangers, Natural Balance or Merrick. There are others but this is what I feed my dogs. Look at the ingredients and make sure the food does not have any by-products, chemical preservatives, artificial flavors, artificial colors, chemical additives. The first ingredients should always be some kind of meat (turkey, beef, chicken). Give your pets good quality fish oil. I use "Royal Coat Express" from Ark Naturals. Excellent product. Their web site is www.arknaturals.com. Their fur will grown back and it will be thick and healthy.

Read More Answers...

November 6, 2012 Flag

Pug looking backward at camera.We have a 6 year old Pug. He has been having small dark patches in the neck and chest region. There has also been some hair fall. We had put him on some antibiotics, but the problem still recurs after some time. Is there any cure, any foods we should avoid? We had tried hypoallergenic foods, but that didn't work. Now we are giving him a food which contains fish and rice.

By Sunita

Best Answer

Could be lots of things. Allergy? fungus, food and i suspect this happened immediately after a vaccine. His immune system is possibly failing. Lets try some things that will not harm and see if we can clear this. Please check my past posts for details. We start with a proven supplement I have used with great success on my disabled dogs. No, I don't sell or profit from this. Google and order please Nzymes.com. What they sell truly works. Pictures like you dogs problem and it does work. They will help you with diet info, allergy concerns, anti vaccine info, supplement info and the like. Their add is right on and these are not phony people. Nothing from China.

You might try amber colored Listerine. Amber only in a spray bottle and be sure and get between the toes. You might try coconut oil on the skin and a little in his food. Very promising if it is any organism is a bath in just 1 % chlorhexidine which is a medical scrub. Ask at even Wal Mart for it. Mix with lots of water. it does some amazing things in a short term. No vaccines. You may set his immune system in orbit. Google anti vaccine to find ingredients in vaccines and you will never again trust such idiots. Content mercury, formaldehyde, aluminum, x species pus - get the picture? I have no formal training only experience after helping animals all of my life.

December 20, 2015 Flag

Some people around me are advising me to comb my hair more frequently. I'm not doing that currently, but I do brush 2 times a day. I have some hairfall issues so they tell this to me. Is there any truth to it? Does combing really prevent hair loss?

It depends on the source of the hair loss. If it is hormonal or due to stress, this will probably not help. The idea is that you are stimulating the scalp and that can stimulate hair growth. But this works best with people who already have healthy hair.

The doctor you want to see is a dermatologist. If they can figure out the source of your particular type of hair loss you can get a prescription or other help there.

November 25, 2014 Flag

closeup of dog's faceMy 11 month old Chow is shedding and there are skin rashes all over his body. He has also black spots on his face and when I remove it, it bleeds.

By Cho from Philippines

It looks like mange to me, too. Only the vet can tell for sure. They look at it under a microscope to tell if it's mange or not.

Good luck.

Read More Answers...

January 17, 2015 Flag

Our Pug is 5 months old and is suffering with severe itching and hair fall. We have been using Star Coat syrup and Clodoc powder from 15 days, but I can't observe any change. So, I request you to kindly suggest some remedies in the form of sprays.

By Subramanyam P

Take your dog to a vet ASAP. If it is money you are worried about, the vet office staff can help you apply for financial aid. You can also call rescue groups in your area to see if they might be able to help. If you cannot provide the medical care your poor dog needs now and will need throughout his life, you need to let someone adopt him who is capable of providing it when needed. Please take this dog to a vet ASAP. He is suffering.

Read More Answers...

November 1, 2015 Flag

He is 6 months old and has been having this skin issue for awhile now. He loses hair in patches and is left with red bold spots after. It's mostly on the back and leg area. I've showered him and he is tick and flea free. I've done some research, but still am not sure what it is.

spots
            Puppy Losing Hair and Has Red Spots

It could be something simple like an allergy but it could also be a more serious issue. Best to have the dog checked for parasites, especially ringworm.

March 11, 2008 Flag

I have a Pomchi (15 weeks old). As soon as we got him at 8 weeks old he started to lose fur on his face and then around his bottom and back legs. The hair on his face has grown back but the hair on his back legs and bottom has not. He has very dry itchy skin on his back also that flakes.

I have seen remarks on how to cure itchiness but I don't know what to do about the hair loss. His coat is really sparse all over. He has very short fuzzy, soft hair that would be only 3/4 in. long. Actually he really doesn't look like what I though I was getting. Any suggestions?

Laura from Hornsby, Australia

Please take your puppy to the vet! I had a Chow that lost her fur. We had her to 5 vets. She was treated for allergies & continued to lose fur. I actually counted the hair she had on her body & it was less than 100 hairs per square inch. Finally, a vet did a very expensive test that determined she had Cushings Disease. We almost lost her. Treatment continued for the rest of her life - 14 years!

Read More Answers...
            Load More
            Pets Dogs HealthMarch 23, 2014
            Remedies For Hair Loss, Man Touching His Balding Head
            Remedies For Hair Loss
            Beautiful woman with frizzy hair looking at her comb, with a pained expression
            Remedies for Frizzy Hair
            Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
            Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
            Sink with hair dye stains
            Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
            © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 30, 2016 at 12:07:27 PM on 10.0.1.224 in 768 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.