Parakeet Is Losing Its Feathers

My parakeet loses his feathers and has a bald spot on the belly area. He is eating and acting normally. What possibly could have happened? We got him Thanksgiving of 2010. Thank you.

By gaboong from Fountain Valley, CA

Have you noticed the budgie scratching itself a lot lately? Could be mites from some of the forums I've read for you. I'd take the bird to the vet and have it looked at to be on the safe side.

Please call an Avian Veterinarian and make an appt. then you will be sure of what's going on. Good luck.

I agree to taking your bird friend to the vet. Also, keets love to be held and played with. If his wings are clipped he could play outside the cage on a play stand. They love their daily baths too. Use a shallow saucer.

Sometimes our avian friends pluck themselves when they are bored or unhappy. Other times it could require a vets attention. Try a slice of apple, or raw broccoli or carrot wedged between the bars of the cage. That should keep him/her busy.

It's worth a try. It works for my birds and i have 13 of various types. But first and foremost, see an avian vet.

Maybe your parakeet is molting. They have special food at the pet store when a bird is molting.

Parakeet Losing Its Feathers
Pets BirdsFebruary 25, 2011
Losing Weight After Having a Baby, Woman in Red Coat Walking Her Baby Stroller in the Park
Losing Weight After Having a Baby
Chicken Pulling Out Its Feathers
Caring for Parakeets
Caring for Parakeets
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves