My Dog Keeps Smacking His Lips

I have a 3 year old German Shepherd, and he recently started smacking his lips a lot. A friend of mine said they do that when they have to pee, but he does it even if he has just been out. I am just wondering if anyone has ever encountered this issue with their own dog?

By doglvr from Kinston, NC

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Here is a Web Site that you should look into. I just googled your problem with your dog. It's WebMD, I could not type all the information (it wouldn't fit in this space). Hope it helps.

My husband's mom, God rest her soul, used to breed German Shepherds. It has been our experience that they, uh, do this when they are expelling gas. Have you changed his food lately? Is he on a good diet with meat as the first ingredient? It is really humorous. LOL. They are darlings, and also all our dogs do that, even when they are not passing gas, but when they are having something unusual with their digestive system, such as indigestion.

Blessings,

Robyn

You might double check that he doesn't have a stick caught in between the roof of his mouth and the sides of his teeth. German Shepherds seem to enjoy picking up sticks and playing with them at times.

Robyn

Check to make sure that there is not an underlying problem that has caused him to become dehydrated. If he is dehydrated, he may be doing that. Lift up his upper lip and push your finger to his gum. It should be wet and pink. If it's tacky, dry or light in color, it can be a sign of dehydration which would signal a bigger problem. If this is the case, you will also notice that if you scruff him on the back of his neck, his skin will not snap back quickly, instead, it will take a bit longer if he is dehydrated. In either case, he would need to go to the vet immediately for iv fluids and blodwork would let them know what may be going on. Hopefully it's not this and he's just picked up an annoying habit.

I have also heard it is when they are expelling gas ha!

It probably means nothing. Try to ignore it. I'm sure nothing is wrong with your dog.

It could just be so many things, from a change in food to dehydration to dental problems. Think I'd run it by the vet just in case.

Hello,

Please take your fur baby to the Veterinarian, there could be a dental problem that he is trying to tell you about. Smacking lips is not a sign of dehydration it is a sign of an underlying medical problem.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Pets Dogs AdviceJune 27, 2011
white cat on piano
Understanding Cat Behavior
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
Homemade Lip Plumper
Homemade Lip Plumper
Chapped Lips
Remedies for Chapped Lips
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 10:39:29 PM on 10.0.1.174 in 730 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.