My Dog Keeps Smacking His Lips

By doglvr 1 2

I have a 3 year old German Shepherd, and he recently started smacking his lips a lot. A friend of mine said they do that when they have to pee, but he does it even if he has just been out. I am just wondering if anyone has ever encountered this issue with their own dog?

By doglvr from Kinston, NC

Showing: Answers Sort

By Lynda 49 74 Flag

Here is a Web Site that you should look into. I just googled your problem with your dog. It's WebMD, I could not type all the information (it wouldn't fit in this space). Hope it helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Robyn 376 753 Flag

My husband's mom, God rest her soul, used to breed German Shepherds. It has been our experience that they, uh, do this when they are expelling gas. Have you changed his food lately? Is he on a good diet with meat as the first ingredient? It is really humorous. LOL. They are darlings, and also all our dogs do that, even when they are not passing gas, but when they are having something unusual with their digestive system, such as indigestion.

Blessings,

Robyn

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Robyn 376 753 Flag

You might double check that he doesn't have a stick caught in between the roof of his mouth and the sides of his teeth. German Shepherds seem to enjoy picking up sticks and playing with them at times.

Robyn

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By studiok9 1 Flag

Check to make sure that there is not an underlying problem that has caused him to become dehydrated. If he is dehydrated, he may be doing that. Lift up his upper lip and push your finger to his gum. It should be wet and pink. If it's tacky, dry or light in color, it can be a sign of dehydration which would signal a bigger problem. If this is the case, you will also notice that if you scruff him on the back of his neck, his skin will not snap back quickly, instead, it will take a bit longer if he is dehydrated. In either case, he would need to go to the vet immediately for iv fluids and blodwork would let them know what may be going on. Hopefully it's not this and he's just picked up an annoying habit.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sean 4 12 Flag

I have also heard it is when they are expelling gas ha!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By HarleyJoy 3 Flag

It probably means nothing. Try to ignore it. I'm sure nothing is wrong with your dog.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Candy Killion 10 410 Flag

It could just be so many things, from a change in food to dehydration to dental problems. Think I'd run it by the vet just in case.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Sherri 10 551 Flag

Hello,

Please take your fur baby to the Veterinarian, there could be a dental problem that he is trying to tell you about. Smacking lips is not a sign of dehydration it is a sign of an underlying medical problem.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Pets Dogs AdviceJune 27, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Dog the Bounty Hunter Costume
Riding Mower
Riding Mower Keeps Stalling
Homemade Lip Plumper
Homemade Lip Plumper
Chapped Lips
Remedies for Chapped Lips
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 1:08:56 PM on 10.0.0.13 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings