Discouraging Black Flies

How do I get rid of flies apart from pest sprays?

By Ashwin from Suva, Fiji

March 28, 2010 Flag

To keep flies away put a zip lock bag 1/2 filled with water above your outside door. Flies will stay away.

By joaz2006 from Phoenix, Az

Discouraging Black Flies and Wasps

Place 5 or 6 shiny pennies in the bag also. Here is one comment I read from another site:

"Regarding the science behind Ziploc bags of water? My research found that each of the millions of molecules of water presents its own prism effect and given that flies have a lot of eyes, to them it's like a zillion disco balls reflecting light, colors and movement in a dizzying manner. When you figure that flies are basically prey for many other bugs, animals, birds, etc., they simply won't take the risk of being around that much perceived action. I moved to a rural area and thought these "hillbillies" were just yanking my city boy chain, but I tried it, worked immediately. We went from hundreds of flies to seeing the occasional one, but they don't hang around long."

Get a roll of new pennies from the bank or get out the Brasso.

By Cajun62234

May 14, 2009 Flag

Are there natural ways to get rid of black flies in a specific area? Like, planting a herbs around your porch. Are there identified plants that black flies do not like? Or natural bath oils to bathe in that will detour black flies but not make you smell like a walking medicine cabinet? -Danielle

Discouraging Black Flies

This works on MOST flies, gnats, flying buggies that bug us! I read this on the internet and have passed it on to many people and get great feedback! Here goes:

Take a 1qt jar (wide top mayo jar). Fill 2-3 inches with apple cider vinegar Squirt in some of Dawn dish soap. Shake to mix a little (it's thicker then generic brands). Roll a paper plate funnel style. Place inside but not touching the liquid (let it somewhat unroll)

Here's HOW it works:

The smell of the vinegar draws the flying critters. They fly down through the paper plate into the liquid. The Dawn dishsoap thickens the top and they can't fly out. As silly as this sounds, IT WORKS!

Now, if you are out of vinegar and the gnats drive you crazy, use the juice in the bottom of a pickle jar sweet or dill. (yes I was desperate and did this! lol) There was a time I was out of paper plates and didn't put one and thought well this is like an open door easier to get it. It worked and they can't fly out through the Dawn! However, don't stand and watch to see if it works. It's like a watched pot never boils, they won't fly in if you watch and wait. But the next day them little boogers are all floating in the bottom of that jar! I always have one of these on the back corner of my counter.

By Anonymous

Discouraging Black Flies

Thanks for the ideas. I've always wondered what else could be done with pickle juice :o) Here's why the Dawn detergent works. Soap makes things slippery; added to the water 'n vinegar it makes the molecules slippery; insects thus fall between the molecules and eventually drown.

There have been a couple larger insects that refuse to drown when trapped in dishwater which routinely has Dawn and bleach to kill germs. In desparation, (more) bleach, borax then Iron Out was added. Iron Out produced froth (oxygenated), much like adding baking soda to vinegar, and that eventually killed the dastardly critters.

Good news about the apple cider vinegar, Dawn detergent and water open-cupped 'trap' placed next to the television last evening. Success! Since then, it's caught all sorts of flying insects with room left for more :o) (09/25/2008)

By gator10tx

Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
Home and Garden Pest Control FliesMarch 28, 2010
House fly on a white surface.
Getting Rid of Flies at a Restaurant
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Sand Flies
Natural Repellent for Sand Flies
Keeping Flies Off Goats
Keeping Flies Off Goats